Apple to bundle music extras app with iTunes albums

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
iPhone and iPod touch users will soon be able to purchase and download 'interactive albums' from Apple's iTunes store that will include an App Store application loaded with extras, according to a new report.

MusicWeek claims that Snow Patrol, an alternative rock band from northern Ireland, will become the first artist to offer one of the applications for download alongside the release of its fifth studio album next month titled Hundred Million Suns.

Extra content available though the app will include exclusive artwork, behind-the-scenes images, and lyrics, according to the report.

Apple reportedly plans to deliver extras for several other albums in the coming months, though its unclear if the company will catalog media from various artists into a single extras application or distribute separate apps with each album.

The move, as noted by TechCrunch, stands to undermine one of the few remaining advantages of traditional CDs. It will also mark the first time that music artists have been able to tap into the added capabilities of Apple's multi-touch platform.

Snow Patrol?s new album is expected to hit the digital shelves of iTunes around October 27.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Really looking forward to those 'behind the scenes' lyrics.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Sweet, I love Snow Patrol.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    You'll have to pry my lossless, DRM-free CDs out of my cold, dead hands!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Oh dear..... You see, the record companies have been able to do this for ages. There was a time where you'd get some free videos, or something funky included extra on the CD. However, they've done nothing other than perhaps a couple of postcards in the CD case.

Perhaps this might provide some stimulus, just as the itunes app store has done with microsoft et al....
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

And verily did he bestow Max upon them, and it was good!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone and iPod touch users will soon be able to purchase and download 'interactive albums' from Apple's iTunes store ... The move, as noted by TechCrunch, stands to undermine one of the few remaining advantages of traditional CDs. ...

This article and the article it references can only have been written by people who have never bought an album from iTunes.

While this new initiative might include something new, all that is described here are the very same things that were always available as a PDF when you bought the Album previously (assuming the artist or distributor makes it available).

I usually get cover art, behind the scenes photos, lyrics, and more already when I buy from iTunes. These extras can, and have been made available for at least a year or so.

Hasn't anyone in the digital press ever actually purchased a complete album from iTunes before?

Geez!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This article and the article it references can only have been written by people who have never bought an album from iTunes.

While this new initiative might include something new, all that is described here are the very same things that were always available as a PDF when you bought the Album previously (assuming the artist or distributor makes it available).

I usually get cover art, behind the scenes photos, lyrics, and more already when I buy from iTunes. These extras can, and have been made available for at least a year or so.

Hasn't anyone in the digital press ever actually purchased a complete album from iTunes before?

Geez!

I was about to say the exact same thing >_<
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Boy, I wish that they would focus instead on the social commerce aspect of music, as that scales better across all types of media. Specifically, I am talking rating and recommendations (ala Pandora), review wikis, and synchronized IM/listening programs (virtual DJ meets chat room).
  • Reply 9 of 23
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Agreed. In the rare occasion I need a song for something like a homemade slide show, etc. I'll turn to Amazon and get it DRM free.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I'm sure Apple if they could, would offer all music DRM free. It's the music companies that demand it.

It's sad, too, to walk into Starbucks? and see all those iTunes album cards completely untouched. I asked a couple of employees in several different Starbucks? about them and they said they they have never seen a single one of those sold. I think they aren't tangible enough and don't offer instant gratification, possibly because they are the nearly the same price as the CD albums.

I wonder what the sales figures on them are.

So far, most of my new music purchases have been though iTunes. I have way too many CD cases as it is.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    can someone explain to me why so many iTunes reviews writers record their opinion then close with "Click YES if you agree!". Isn't the option users have to click Yes/No in response to how helpful the review was? Do people really respond to these things the way writer intends? And if so, why does either party do what they do?

Am I just out of touch with the kids these days? Is constantly making spelling and grammar errors now a sign of intelligence instead of a sign these folks will spend majority of their life embarrassing themselves with every "like" and "you know" inserted into verbal communication?

I am genuinely interested to hear from someone who employs this tactic. Your insight could help me stop ignoring reviews and benefit from the helpful opinions (some) users post.

• Reply 12 of 23
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarleypeople View Post

I was about to say the exact same thing >_<

I was thinking that the app-driven content would be richer and more involved

than a PDF booklet. Artwork keyed to display/morph/interact with each song,

lyrics that display one verse/chorus at a time, matching the music, or karaoke

style, etc.

I like what someone else said also, about review wikis, and other shareable

stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

can someone explain to me why so many iTunes reviews writers record their opinion then close with "Click YES if you agree!".

"Click YES if you agree!" is just a tag that indicates that the reviewer is a

complete idiot.

Reviews tagged in that way should simply be ignored.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    i for one would be more interested in seeing this kind of thing applied to video. especially tv show seasons. my main reason for not getting the season pass of many shows is that I know that the DVD set will have all kind of commentary and such.

but if I could get the season pass (perhaps even with optional commentary tracks already in them) and then pay a bit at the end for the bonus stuff, I'd be all over it. especially if the total price was basically the same or even a little less
  • Reply 15 of 23
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    This is all very well but until Apple go DRM-free for all music then they won't be getting another penny out of me. If Amazon can do it, so can Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If Amazon can do it, so can Apple.

It isn't an issue if Apple can, but that the labels won't. Remember it was Apple to first get a major label, EMI, to go all DRM-free. Also, it was Job who has stated on more than one occasion that he wants music to be DRM-free. After Jobs open letter suggesting DRM be removed it was Warner's CEO, Edgar Bronfman, who responding in kind stating that it was "without logic or merit" to offer DRM-free media.

So why did they and others go to Amazon and others to offer music at a cheaper price, double the bandwidth and without DRM? They are trying to usurp Apple's control over them. They want DRM! They want to variable pricing! They want to rape the customer! Apple isn't altruistic here, they want to get their money from HW, not the content.

Quote:

This is all very well but until Apple go DRM-free for all music then they won't be getting another penny out of me.

I'm not saying go with Apple because it's Apple. In fact, I suggest going to whatever gives you the service and product you want, but know that you are doing exactly what the labels want you to do.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not saying go with Apple because it's Apple. In fact, I suggest going to whatever gives you the service and product you want, but know that you are doing exactly what the labels want you to do.

That's just silly. I go with whoever gives me no DRM, it's as simple as that. How am I giving the record companies what they want? It just makes no sense. The moment they bring back DRM I stop buying digital music.

Apple need to throw their weight around more and pressure the music labels into giving them DRM free music. They dominate the music download industry, which surely must give them a heck of a clout.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

That's just silly. I go with whoever gives me no DRM, it's as simple as that.

How is that silly? I told you do just that!

Quote:

How am I giving the record companies what they want? It just makes no sense. The moment they bring back DRM I stop buying digital music.

I thought I explained it clearly. They are trying to lessen Apple's control by offering DRM-free music to Amazon and not Apple. Why do you think that Warner pooh=poohed Job's open letter to make music DRM-free just to turn around and offer it to Amazon a DRM-free? It's the only logical play they had left: sacrifice the queen to win the game.

Quote:

Apple need to throw their weight around more and pressure the music labels into giving them DRM free music. They dominate the music download industry, which surely must give them a heck of a clout.

They did, and the labels didn't like it.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I like to buy actual CDs and import them. Can I get the extras for free? I better!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZagMac View Post

can someone explain to me why so many iTunes reviews writers record their opinion then close with "Click YES if you agree!". Isn't the option users have to click Yes/No in response to how helpful the review was? Do people really respond to these things the way writer intends? And if so, why does either party do what they do?

Am I just out of touch with the kids these days? Is constantly making spelling and grammar errors now a sign of intelligence instead of a sign these folks will spend majority of their life embarrassing themselves with every "like" and "you know" inserted into verbal communication?

I am genuinely interested to hear from someone who employs this tactic. Your insight could help me stop ignoring reviews and benefit from the helpful opinions (some) users post.

I think you already got it...the teenagers today have zero intelligence because the "Click Yes if you Agree" is a sign of their stupid intelligence. The fact that none of them know how to type in complete sentences is a clear indication of zero grammar skills. They are unable to express their own opinion coherently, so all they can do is click Yes or No. If they get to college and write a paper with R for are, U for you, and Kool or Kewl for cool, they will be kicked out. Also, if they refer to everything in their paper as "that's tight" they will be booted out on their ass.

The level of intelligence has dropped significantly when a political candidate thinks it is cool to send a text message declaring his running mate. How sad is that? He probably started the text message with, "R U Rdy 4 this" Have the professional courtesy to do it the right way.