Apple confirms September 9th special event: "Let's Rock"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has formally issued invitations for a special event that will take place on September 9th -- one week from today -- to usher in a new family of iPod digital music players.

The invites, one of which was obtained by ArsTechnica, feature the iconic iPod silouette along with the tagline "Let's Rock."

Apple has scheduled the event to take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco at 10:00 a.m. local time next Tuesday.

The invites confirm reports of a September 9th event originally waged by Digg founder Kevin Rose. The appearance and wording of the digital documents also suggest the event will be music focused and not serve as a forum for new Mac notebooks, as was recently suggested by AppleInsider, which will come later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 154
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Yes!!!
  • Reply 2 of 154
    <premature head explosion>
  • Reply 3 of 154
    While the web has seen clues to a tall screen iPod nano, maybe the introduction is the long awaited introduction to the Apple Music Store of The Beatles collection that was said to finalizing when rumors of that last surfaced.

Coming just a couple days before the 11th, the sad anniversary, the iPod and iPhone users of the world would have something to celebrate.
  • Reply 4 of 154
    Happy to see its earlier this month rather than later.
  • Reply 5 of 154
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple do four things all with one motion.

1: Release an iPod nano touch

2: Call this new device the "iPod nano"

3: Drop the word "touch" on their touch nanos, in turn highlighting the product transition of apples portable line up to touch. (This concept to be extended track pad on the new macbooks and macbook pros.) iPod with the click wheel would still hold the suffix: "Classic"

4: Bone that company that made the case for the "false" iPod nano, because of how much info they've leaked in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I love to find out the latest on Apple products just as much as anyone else, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple dicked this company over due to breaching of confidentiality agreements in the past.
  • Reply 6 of 154
    Fingers crossed for AlumiMB's. Well - then again maybe not. My bank account would be much better off if they don't give me what I want! hahah

I wonder if they'll try the iPod Touch "Pro" with a massive screen (relatively speaking, something like 4.5 - 5"), GPS with downloadable maps (I know that's basically a pipe dream) in 16, 32 and 64 GB sizes?
  • Reply 7 of 154
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    As much as I appreciate new iPods (not really interested, as I do not need an iPhone and an iPod) ... but we are 9 months into the year and really no substantial Mac news except for the MBA (and gestures on the MBP, if that can be considered substantial) so far. Any Mac developments would be highly desirable - no matter if a 30" iMac, the famous midi desktop, a tablet or at least a laptop makeover.

Of course, the MP3 player business is calming down and this might be the last year with some moderate growth potential during the holidays. They have to do it.

Well, maybe we Germans will at least finally get some movies or some decent international TV shows (and some back-catalog classics)... the catalog so far is severely limited.
  • Reply 8 of 154
    Well, is anybody going to ask? Is Steve going to "one more thing" and show us some new MacBooks and MBP? Yea, then it will be a party and something to dance to!
  • Reply 9 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I know it doesn't mean much, but this focus on the iPod causes doubt about new notebook cases. Surely there will be a bump in processor, etc., but this apparent Intel delay of Montevina may be pushing things back. My Mac is 9 months old, it's time for a refresh!
  • Reply 10 of 154
    Please Please MBP update!!
  • Reply 11 of 154
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I doubt an invitation looking like that will involve laptops. And if it's just a speed bump, it will just appear in a press release rather than an event.

But is anyone else thinking subscription service?
  • Reply 12 of 154
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I doubt an invitation looking like that will involve laptops. And if it's just a speed bump, it will just appear in a press release rather than an event.

But is anyone else thinking subscription service?

Both of these are looking more likely.
  • Reply 13 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

While the web has seen clues to a tall screen iPod nano, maybe the introduction is the long awaited introduction to the Apple Music Store of The Beatles collection that was said to finalizing when rumors of that last surfaced.

Coming just a couple days before the 11th, the sad anniversary, the iPod and iPhone users of the world would have something to celebrate.

Yeah. Because I read this announcement and think... Beatles. Full disclosure, I want the Beatles added to iTunes too. But personally I think you're projecting.

This announcement will be about Apple products.

Looking at the design clues they've given us on the invitation I think there is going to be something changing with the iPod interface again. Maybe this will be the last time we see this type of screen while music is playing? Perhaps all the iPods (with touch capability added) will now look and behave more like the the iPhone and touch? People certainly seem to love it.

We'll have to wait and see!
  • Reply 14 of 154
    Waiting on a new MBP is starting to feel Sisyphean...
  • Reply 15 of 154
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Beatles: could care less if I ever heard another beatles song again in my life. After 30 years it can be binned forever, imho. Or at least put away to appreciate in 20 more. I can't listen to the same thing all the time, it's boring.

New iPod: cool, but could care less, i have the ultimate iPod: iPhone.

Subscription: exciting, I could use this, ESPECIALLY on my Apple TV.

I think this might be a push for the App Store to the smaller iPods. I hope it also extends to Apple TV.
  • Reply 16 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know it doesn't mean much, but this focus on the iPod causes doubt about new notebook cases. Surely there will be a bump in processor, etc., but this apparent Intel delay of Montevina may be pushing things back. My Mac is 9 months old, it's time for a refresh!

9 months old! Mine's 5 years young.
  • Reply 17 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

9 months old! Mine's 5 years young.

My MB is around 2 years now and I will wait for the BIG change with the MBP... here's hoping that with the redo of the case, they will have room for an option for the Blu-ray. Maybe, they will put that option first with the Mac Pro only, but I can still hope.
  • Reply 18 of 154
    looking forward to the event. i personally would like to see the click wheel disappear. we'll see if apple puts the spark back into the ipod. a little disappointed that there will probably be no sign of new macbooks or macbook pros at this event. it may be better anyway to split the new product launches into different events. also, due to the back to school promotion apple would have to take back a few week old computers and ipods in exchange for the new ones. this way, they just have to swap the ipods and no computers.
  • Reply 19 of 154
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

My MB is aroud 2 years now and I will wait for the BIG change with the MBP... here's hoping that with the redo of the case, they will have room for an option for the Blu-ray. Maybe, they will put that option first with the Mac Pro only, but I can still hope.

It's hard when you need an Intel machine for iPhone development and you're saving for a wedding. You really don't win that argument. Unless you can develop fast enough and make cash to use toward the wedding. Then, you might win but that'll be based on performance.
  • Reply 20 of 154
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Anyone thinking this will be anything other than iPods and music business related needs to take off the blinders.

Apple does not announce that many things all at once. Their special announcements are always focused.

Do not hold out hope for laptops. You will only be disappointed. It is 100% not going to happen on September 9th.