AT&T wireless networks go down on East Coast

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T's wireless data services experienced a meltdown earlier this morning, leading to widespread 3G and EDGE service outages across the broader North East and other parts of the country.

The problem has persisted for about 10 to 12 hours according to ArsTechnica, leaving a good number of iPhone and other mobile phone users without access to email, the web, and other data services. Voice calls and text messaging thus far appear unaffected.

"A technical representative from AT&T confirmed on the telephone with me this morning that there are major problems with the data network affecting a large part of the US today -- what she called a Level 1 issue," one AppleInsider reader wrote in an email. "She said her map, which normally shows green with occasional yellow areas, has red on major parts of the US."

iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems since the early a.m. hours Wednesday on both AT&T's support forms (1, 2, 3) and Apple's (1, 2, 3). Some users have reported success in receiving a credit from AT&T ranging from $20 to $30 as a result of the persistent problems.

Among the states reported to be experience service interruptions are Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Associated Press cited AT&T spokesman Michael Coe as saying the company was looking into the problem.

Update: AT&T says it restored service shortly after noon Eastern time on Wednesday. "We identified it as a routing issue in the way data is routed to and from wireless devices," company spokesman Mark Siegel told Reuters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    We were down all morning here in DE, but the data started flowing at about 12:15PM EDT.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Hey, someone whould sue!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    It was down from early morning until around noon in NYC, but it's working fine now.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would like to see RIM melt down a wireless carrier.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I would like to see RIM melt down a wireless carrier.

It's not clear to me what it is that you're attempting to say. However RIM has had a couple of widespread and widely reported network outages.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Update: We have also confirmed that AT&T's EDGE network is down in Chicago, but 3G is up. For now.

Update x2: According to our commenters, users in Wisconsin and other parts of the country are experiencing data network outages as well. This thing appears to be pretty widespread, and we are making AT&T aware of the issue as best we can. Of course if you're experiencing it, you should probably call customer service and let them know anyway, just so they have a few more data points.

Update x3: AT&T spokesperson Brad Mays got in touch with us once again to say that the issues have been resolved. "There was a routing issue affecting some wireless data use in the Northeast region. AT&T technicians determined the cause and restored service at 11:56 a.m. EDT," he told Ars. "Voice calling, text messaging and BlackBerry email were unaffected."
  • Reply 7 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems"

Great phrase for irate customers.

I don't think I was affected, but I've been in range of WiFi so it's hard to say.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    I don't get how they can't keep up with demand? They bought out Cingular, they have the power of two companies, let's go! I hate that this country sues over everything but these companies have to stop screwing us and maybe we would stop suing them.

First off, the new iPhone data plan should be the same as the old one, especially since half the people can't use the 3G network anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among the states reported to be experience service interruptions are Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The Associated Press cited AT&T spokesman Michael Coe as saying the company was looking into the problem.

Add New Jersey to the list of States. I was without dataservice from about noon yesterday until about 130PM today. And that is in the land of AT&T.

Rodger
  • Reply 10 of 37
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I was having major connectivity issues earlier this week and through today. My phone says I'm in a good 3G signal area, but I can't get e-mail or browse the web. The connections just time out. Also, I have been unable to sync my calendar over MobileMe since I've gotten the phone....but that's another issue.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I experienced this issue late last night / early this morning. Went to bed and got up late and everything was working fine.

A good stradegy and I would suggest it to others.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 37
    In January of 2007 Steve Jobs said "Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up."

I bet somebody messed up.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AT&T's wireless data services experienced a meltdown earlier this morning, leading to widespread 3G and EDGE service outages across the broader North East and other parts of the country.

The problem has persisted for about 10 to 12 hours according to ArsTechnica, leaving a good number of iPhone and other mobile phone users without access to email, the web, and other data services. Voice calls and text messaging thus far appear unaffected.

"A technical representative from AT&T confirmed on the telephone with me this morning that there are major problems with the data network affecting a large part of the US today -- what she called a Level 1 issue," one AppleInsider reader wrote in an email. "She said her map, which normally shows green with occasional yellow areas, has red on major parts of the US."

iPhone users have been proactive in reporting the problems since the early a.m. hours Wednesday on both AT&T's support forms (1, 2, 3) and Apple's (1, 2, 3). Some users have reported success in receiving a credit from AT&T ranging from $20 to $30 as a result of the persistent problems.

Update: AT&T says it restored service shortly after noon Eastern time on Wednesday. "We identified it as a routing issue in the way data is routed to and from wireless devices," company spokesman Mark Siegel told Reuters.

Bitch and ye shall receive. I got $51.00 credited...that's all the data plan that I've paid for since I got the iPhone 3G on launch day. Woo!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Just a thought, but wouldn't you think that Apple would have a escape clause from the disastrous AT&T contract that would allow them to open up the iPhone to other carriers if AT&T failed to provide reliable service or otherwise tarnished the Apple brand with poor infrastructure?

Just curious.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I just love the feeling of being dependent on technology so much.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

It's not clear to me what it is that you're attempting to say. However RIM has had a couple of widespread and widely reported network outages.

A bad joke making fun of AT&T's network shortcomings due to an increase in data phone sales (iPhone specifically). It was a long shot and I was desperate for a laugh.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Seems like non-iPhone users are not having this problem.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    CAN YOU READ ME NOW?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Seems like non-iPhone users are not having this problem.

Arstechnica says the data loss effected all AT&T customers. The iPhone users were the ones who complained.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Just a thought, but wouldn't you think that Apple would have a escape clause from the disastrous AT&T contract that would allow them to open up the iPhone to other carriers if AT&T failed to provide reliable service or otherwise tarnished the Apple brand with poor infrastructure?

Just curious.

I think there is only one other US carrier (tmobile?) that has a network that works with the 3g iPhone. Verizon which is the only big big mobile name it doesn't work with for sure so not much that can be done now.