Apple Hating Family..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm 14 years old, and have been using PC all my life. I FINALLY got a mac.. a powerbook g4 that my aunt gave me, which I much prefer to my PC. My brother and dad hate mac, and my mom is on the fence. They hate the commercials, and claim that macs are very difficult to use, and that they are inferior to PC's. HELP!! What can I say to these stubborn people? Maybe I can have them read this thread if you could generate some ideas. Personally, I find mac suits my needs perfectly, and saves me the viruses, and the restarts, and all that fun stuff. I can use it with ease.. after like a day of owning it, and it is much more aesthetically pleasing. thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Ignore them and be happy in the knowledge that YOU are superior.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_zebra View Post

Ill try. I feel sorry for them, they're so fired up with hate, feeding off eachother about how much they hate macs. Maybe one day they will sit down and make an attempt to use mine... instead of bantering on about how hard they are to use, even if they havn't spent no longer than five minutes in their lives trying to use one. Though I feel happy.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jake2000n View Post

Ill try. I feel sorry for them, they're so fired up with hate, feeding off eachother about how much they hate macs. Maybe one day they will sit down and make an attempt to use mine... instead of bantering on about how hard they are to use, even if they havn't spent no longer than five minutes in their lives trying to use one. Though I feel happy.

They'll come around.

When they see how you aren't wasting time cleaning out viruses, spyware and dealing with registry issues they'll start to see the light.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

They'll come around.

When they see how you aren't wasting time cleaning out viruses, spyware and dealing with registry issues they'll start to see the light.

pfft. true. I can't count how many hours I have spent doing virus scans.. having my computer running horribly slow, had to restart. Now it's just sitting on my desk, I won't use it, its REALLY slow. Thank god I have my mac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The viruses argument is the only one you'll have a chance of winning with them. If you say they're easier to use they'll likely argue that's because Apple's are toys.

Good luck, you'll need it!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Well if you had a Macbook/Macbook Pro, you can just show them it can run both Windows and OS X.

now they Love / Hate Macs at the same time
  • Reply 7 of 8
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_zebra View Post

NO NO NO NO NO

This will only open you up to accusations that Apple users are smug. Just ignore their blather and remember that they're not being reasonable. Be nice to them and they'll let down their guard and come around.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You have it easy. When I was 14, Apple was in the financial dog house and the product itself wasn't that great either. Windows NT was making waves and, despite being ugly, was a really good product. Linux was just getting started and was barely usable. On top of this, macs were truly expensive.

Flash forward 13 years and macs are prettier than ever, cost-competitive with major-brand PCs, run the best desktop OS ever (and nothing else is close, trust me), and, get this, they run on PC hardware. Except mac PC hardware is actually better since they get Intel's chips ahead of the rest of the market. Hell, you can even run windows on a mac.

If your dad and bro don't like macs in 2008, they are plain retarded. The best thing, though, is that one summer's work can buy you a decent iMac and you'll have cash leftover. I had to work some truly awful jobs to save up for the $4000 PM8500 setup I first used for my 3D modeling hobby.