A Mac Mini prediction

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This guy says he got this information from a "reliable source," and there's even a picture of the innards. But, it's also self-described as "just another word-press blog" with typos and some broken English. This was before the recent invitation for the Sep 9 event, though. What's your take?

http://harryh95.wordpress.com/2008/0...rade-mac-mini/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    That guy doesn't know shit. And his picture is of the current mini. Also, every Wordpress blog says that, by default.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

That guy doesn't know shit. And his picture is of the current mini. Also, every Wordpress blog says that, by default.

Party pooper \
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Party pooper \

'Tis true.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

'Tis true.

I was thinking after the macbook air came out, that those same processors might make their way into a smaller (aluminum?) enclosure Mac Nano or Mac Air that was closer to AppleTV size (but i suppose going backwards in processor speed is bad from a marketing sense)

Then i thought, combining the products might make sense. Maybe even a battery that makes it a portable computer (hook it to someone's tv without taking the power cord)

Can't wait to see what happens to this product.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

You might want to grab a book or two while you're waiting...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

I was thinking after the macbook air came out, that those same processors might make their way into a smaller (aluminum?) enclosure Mac Nano or Mac Air that was closer to AppleTV size (but i suppose going backwards in processor speed is bad from a marketing sense)

Then i thought, combining the products might make sense. Maybe even a battery that makes it a portable computer (hook it to someone's tv without taking the power cord)

Possibly. There are ways Apple can make the mini smaller, but not without compromises. Those small-package processors the MBA uses are both slower and more expensive than regular mobile Core 2's (duh).

I don't know. I like the mini, but it is a confused product. I think it needs to be either a miniature powerhouse or dirt cheap, and right now it is neither.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

I think it needs to be either a miniature powerhouse or dirt cheap, and right now it is neither.

That's exactly it. It's just taking up space.

Not much, but a little.

I love the Mini, but something needs to change.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Maybe even a battery that makes it a portable computer (hook it to someone's tv without taking the power cord)

Decode h.264 in high defintion on battery power?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Decode h.264 in high defintion on battery power?

i meant to play movies/songs, but now that i think about it, why not slap a 6" screen and call it a crappy tablet.

Still, the mini is a cool product because i'd like another Mac but don't want to pay for the iMac. As stated, the Mini is in its teenage (read: awkward inbetween) stage, and if improved could be really cool.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

?why not slap a 6" screen and call it a crappy tablet.

Uh, because no one wants a crappy tablet? Nor one with such a small screen?
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

Uh, because no one wants a crappy tablet? Nor one with such a small screen?

it was meant to read "the battery is a bad idea, because why not make it a [not crappy] tablet if you want a battery"

I'm still sticking to the Mac Nano/Air Mac as being a viable product though.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Gosh, I thought someone would at least ask about the Mini at this year's event, like they did last year. Even that didn't appear to happen.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Gosh, I thought someone would at least ask about the Mini at this year's event, like they did last year. Even that didn't appear to happen.

Ask? This was not a stockholders meeting, it was a marketing presentation.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I think Apple has given up on the flawed little machine. They've let it slip so far behind that it isn't even worth considering. They could release a pair of new GM45 based machines (2.26ghz, 2GB, SD, 160GB, GMA x4500 & 2.4ghz, 2GB,SD, 250GB, GMA x4500) at the same price points, but to be honest I don't think Jobs and Ive understand this segment at all.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    ...but rename it as the new Mac Mini

if you can shrink the Mini any more, hell, you might as well shrink it enough to fit into an existing apple keyboard...

skip the optical drive, throw in an SSD hard drive & couple of USB / FW ports

to load the OS, just hook it up to an existing macbook (pro) / imac... heck, do it wirelessly like the MBAir...

hook it up to any ACD or iMac or compatible monitor & you're good to go...

would be neat if it could be folded to save space... presenting the flipMac!

Edit: seriously... i gotta get back to work now!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Ask? This was not a stockholders meeting, it was a marketing presentation.

Yeah, I was confusing the annual iPod event with last year's iLife / iWork event.

It still seems like there's little to no interest in the Mac Mini. I guess the switcher campaign has finally broadened to the iMac or MacBook and the media center people are looking more toward the AppleTV.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Yeah, I was confusing the annual iPod event with last year's iLife / iWork event.

It still seems like there's little to no interest in the Mac Mini. I guess the switcher campaign has finally broadened to the iMac or MacBook and the media center people are looking more toward the AppleTV.

I've been waiting 8 months to buy a mini, for the next upgrade cycle and/or discontinuation.