New iMacs have 32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So the new iMacs have Geforce 2 cards with 32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory - when will the new Powermacs get this? Or will they get much better stuff?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Does the Geforce2 for the PowerMac not have DDR in it already?

I have the Geforce3 in mine, and thought it did, I could be wrong.

I know that radeon cards had DDR.

[EDIT] Ok I just checked at Apple, and you are right. the Gforce2 that is in the PowerMacs has SDRAM. I was totaly unaware of this. Although, I also cecked on mine, and I am glad to say that Gforce 3 BTO option has 64MB DDR RAM. I'm not trying to gloat, but you scared me for a second there.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Geforce3 does, Geforce2 MX does not:

[quote]Â?Â*NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with 32MB of SDRAM

Â?Â*NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card with TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM for dual display support (5)

Â?Â*NVIDIA GeForce3 graphics card with 64MB of Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM (build-to-order option) <hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html</a>;

One of the advantages of the Geforce3.. when someone brings out a game to test it that is
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Sign of imminent Powre amMac revision. The viedoe card n the Pro computer is less advanced that that in the consumer version.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    That card has been around for 2 years.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I think the new iMac has a nVidia nForce chipset, that includes a geforce 2 mx on board....

I don't think the new iMac has the room to acomodate a geforce card...

what do you think !?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Jack Meggan:

<strong>I think the new iMac has a nVidia nForce chipset, that includes a geforce 2 mx on board....

I don't think the new iMac has the room to acomodate a geforce card...

what do you think !?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. Two words: little endian

2. GeForce card? no. GeForce chip and related circuitry, memory, etc. integrated on motherboard? yes

Think Compaq, not Alienware
  • Reply 7 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>That card has been around for 2 years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But Macs have only had it since MWSF '01.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    The geForce2MX isn't a bad card, especially with DDR memory. Sure it isn't top-of-the-line, but it has a full T&L implementation and 32 megs of fast memory. Combined with the G4's AltiVec I would expect it to do a reasonable job of running Doom3 whenever Carmack gets around to shipping it. There is no mention of whether the iMac has an AGP 2x or 4x interface -- hopefully its a fully 4x implementation.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sorry i think its 2x or at least that's what i thought i read.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    [quote] the new iMacs have Geforce 2 cards with 32MB of dedicated Double Data Rate (DDR) video memory - <hr></blockquote>

Wow, that G4 iMac owns!

Too bad Motorola sucks so hard. Imagine if Apple could build computers with no GHz gap...they would be inching their market share up higher every month.

Fu[king Motorola. Incompetence is such an ugly thing to witness. Funny thing is, I'm sure the engineers are Moto are top-notch, it's the executives who all go to work just to sit around sucking each other's dicks all day. Meanwhile the CPU division struggles with inadequate R&D funds and probably is constantly cleaning executive semen off the PPC fabs.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I once had a contact at moto. Nothing high level, basically he found out when we found out. But he could testify to the state of the company: Not good. No discipline at all, he came and went whenever he pleased, so did others, they made their own schedules but didn't really have to stick to them. And the superiors were even worse. It just got very negative, just a bunch of guys who sat around waiting to cash in their stock/incentive packages, and/or that more lucrative head-hunter phone call. I'm not surprised that they've been so slow.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Look, my point is that the iMacs now have a better video card than the towers - my question is what video card will be standard on the new towers? GF3? Ati? GF4? What do you guys think?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>Combined with the G4's AltiVec I would expect it to do a reasonable job of running Doom3 whenever Carmack gets around to shipping it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ha, good luck. They are saying Doom3 won't run on anything less than GeForce 3 card.
  • Reply 15 of 17

<strong>

Ha, good luck. They are saying Doom3 won't run on anything less than GeForce 3 card.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wrong. It will list the first generation GeForce as its minimum requirements.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

<strong>

Ha, good luck. They are saying Doom3 won't run on anything less than GeForce 3 card.</strong><hr></blockquote>

they aren't saying that at all.

Carmack said that a Geforce 3 with all settings on high would get 30fps. and then everyone for some reason took that as it would not work on anything lower

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 17
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Does anyone know if the TwinView can fit in the new iMac?