Macbook logic board replacement

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been an apple user for at least 10 years and have recently succeeded in getting quite a few family members to purchase macs. My sister in law Cathy bought a mac book Model A1181. 2.16 ghz core two duo.

After using it for almost a year, her daughter spilled water on it and apparently fried the logic board. After a phone call to apple and being told it would cost approximately 800.00 to replace,

we decided to get her a refurb for 999.00. She bought 3 refurbs that day and all 3 looked brand new.

She allowed me to keep the previous laptop. Using an ifixit tutorial I removed the logic board and it definitely looks damaged especially near the battery connector. I was going to purchase a new logic

board but they cost 499.95 on ifixit for the 2.16ghz core two duo. I see the that I can purchased a used 2.0 ghz logic board for 249.99 + shipping. Will this logic board work in the laptop that I removed the logic board from? They are both the same model number.

I am wondering if I should purchase the cheaper board, or wait for a working macbook with a bad screen to show up online and then combine the two. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    There's no reason that a 2ghz board shouldn't work in that laptop. As far as I know, the only real difference between the two is the clock speed. There's no other hardware in the mac that will be able to tell the difference between the two boards.

You'll just want to make sure that the board you are buying is for your model of macbook. The model before yours had a 2ghz board as well. I've never tried putting an older loagic board in a newer machine, but it's a pretty safe bet that it won't work.

Honestly, you might be safer waiting for a macbook with a dud screen to come along. It may not be only the logic board that was damaged by the water, and it would suck to get it all put back together only to have it blow up in your face because the DC in port was shorting.