At what show will we see Apolo G4's?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just erased a hugh paragraph, and just decided to add a few things to this.

1. Apolo When?

2. DDR with Apolo?

3. FireWires second comming?

4. USB2.0

5. Serial ATA Too far off? Maybe?

6. PCI X?

7. ATA 100?

7 things. Serial ATA I believe is out of the question. I don't know about PCI X, but

all of the other things besides FireWire2 are good to go on PC are they not?

Now I'll adapt this into 2 or 3 questions.

1. When will we see the Apolo G4?

2. Removed 2.?

3. Do you think Apple will just upgrade the processor, or will we see any of the things I listed on the Apolo?

Any comments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Yes BTO geforce4 and gigawire, (usb2?)and it will happen shortly after MWSF, in Feb i guess with exclusive the geforce4.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    We NEED A NEW POWERMAC!!!! APPLE OU CAN"T DO THIS TO US!!!! HOW CAN YOU GIVE US A NEW IMAC WITHOUT A NEW POERMAC!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    No latin plz. done it 2 years and makes me sick.

Apple isn't releasing yet a new PM because of there marketing strategy. You will see it when Apple thinks the time is right.

(I also hoped they would show PM). It's just there strategy, we can't do anything about it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by onlooker:

<strong>I just erased a hugh paragraph, and just decided to add a few things to this.

1. Apolo When?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's Apollo. Apple Event in Feb or March.

[quote]<strong>2. DDR with Apolo?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Likely at the same time, if Apollo supports the double-pumped front side bus which (I believe) is needed for DDR RAM on the current board designs.

[quote]<strong>3. FireWires second comming?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unlikely. The spec is just being finalized AFAIK. It's more likely to appear at MWNY.

Quote:

<strong>4. USB2.0</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless it really takes off, you won't see it. Apple has no reason to encourage its adoption, given that it's attempting to compete with FireWire.

Quote:

<strong>5. Serial ATA Too far off? Maybe?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No idea. Possibly with G5.

6. PCI X?[/QB]

No idea. Possibly with G5.

7. ATA 100?[/QB]

Only if there's a reason to. Right now nothing Apple ships in their machines can saturate ATA/66.

I wouldn't expect any radical changes to the motherboard design until the G5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>We NEED A NEW POWERMAC!!!! APPLE OU CAN"T DO THIS TO US!!!! HOW CAN YOU GIVE US A NEW IMAC WITHOUT A NEW POERMAC!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a slightly diferent look at your comment being that I just bought a new PowerMac G4 867.

The day they were announced I placed my order, and it's still feeling realy fast, and band new to me.

Now there are alot of Mac users that wait until after the shows to buy theirs, and I think Apple is aware of us, and them. Even though I will be looking at selling mine right around Seybold, ar WWDC, or whatever the next show is.

I was not done with this version of PowerMac yet.

Another thing is Quicksilver /or/ whatever Mac sales which I never see entered into the forcast of reasons when predicting Apple announcments..

People don't realize that Apple probably isn't going to release a new PowerMac if the current one is still selling like crazy, and it's still a fairly new release. If it were still selling, but was due for an update like 500MHz G4 (which I doubt was still selling at the time) I could see them replacing it, or giving it an end of life, or just announcing a new one like they did.

But! There is a technolohy / Performance issue which I hope Apple is giving much consideration to when planning to release the Apolo. I'll be done with this PowerMac by the next event, and I have been quiet about performance, and speed vs. x86 for a while, but the time to take a grand leap foreward is comming because I'm tired of seeing a 2.2GHz processor on another platform.

x86 is 1.5 GHz ahead - give or take a few Hz., and Altivec is great, and I can't live without it, but we need more MHz, and I think everybody is in agreement there. .

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Hey, it's not the new/old thing. It's competition.

If Apple's standing still they will disappear at any time.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    It's hard to say.

There are basically two things that might happen:

If the G5 isn't coming anytime soon, they'll release new PowerMacs with new motherboards and DDR RAM (if possible, not sure, but think so) together with the Apollo chip, that'd make sense.

But if he G5 is coming soon and they decide to give us another speed bump before the first G5 Macs are actually released, then there will be only a MHz bump, no other changes to the mainboard, that would be a waste of R&D money.

But the new mainboard will (that is educated speculation, nothing else) sport DDR 266 or even 333 (133, 166MHz bus speed DDR), AGP 8x, FireWire 800 or 1600Mbit (it's been done for years, just that nobody made the controllers available), USB 2.0 may well make it, after all Apple had to push USB 1 to success too, so why shouldn't they do it with 2? (Maybe because they want to save FireWire instead). Apple rarely waits for a standard to be accepted in the PC market, if they want it, they'll use it. HyperTransport is rumored to be included too, thus PCI-X falls away, as the two standards are fairly competitive afaik. Serial ATA is a nono, that'd only make sense if they actually have drives to use with, otherwise that interface is too expensive to just have it there sit on the mobo doing nothing. Native FireWire drives would be cool though, at 1600Mbit they'd be VERY fast too.

The first batch of new motherboards will most likely be more of a catch up integration, than a "introducing the future" solution.

New standards are coming, but rarely all at once.

G-news