Apple unveils new iPod nano with built-in accelerometer

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I'd have to disagree that the Zune has a better interface, it's also ugly and honestly what's the point of Wi-Fi if you're not on the web or checking e-mail? You do realize that with 120GB of room you've got enough music to listen non-stop with no repeating for over a month - who needs the radio...

Also, the nano isn't the "future" of the MP3 player. The Nano has been far and away the #1 selling iPod since it debuted. The iPod (Classic) is the past, the Nano is past, present and future and the Touch is present/future.

And as others have said they double the capacities at the same price point while adding features - seemingly the same thing they do every update.

1. What use is wireless? Sharing music (limitations be damned)

2. Wireless transfers from the PC/Mac. If I have just a single song or album it is much easier to download wirelessly. Also great for updating podcasts. Less wear and tear on the dock connector.

3. Radio? Who listens? Why? I listen to NPR (I am old) so yes, the radio is useful. I also use the radio when I am in Japan.

Your viewpoint is too limited.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Apple is most definitely going to use our Genius playlists to target the buyers much more effectively. That's a given.

It's just that you don't HAVE to share your Genius playlists if you don't want to. There is the option not to send the info to Apple, and just us the Genius playlists for yourself, it you find them useful.

Not to mention the information is anonymous. And it's not like musical taste is anything to panic about - most people love to share their musical taste, don't they? Now you can do it and influence the listening habits of other iPod users. Big deal.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post

Faults with the Nano 4G:

The 3G Nano had an all metal case, I'm presuming the top and bottom of the 4G are plastic tabs as on the 2G.

The taller 4G may fit into your hand better but the 3G fits into your pocket more comfortably. More time is spent listening to it then operating it. In landscape mode it will be more awkward to hold than the 3G.

The controls on the 4G are incorrectly orientated when you use it in landscape mode (never thought Apple would accept such a design compromise).

On the 3G the hold switch, docking port and headphone jack are all located on the bottom in a clean symmetrical design. The 4G uses the untidy 2G layout.

The Nano 3G was a classic case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Welcome to AI and nice first post. Clear, focused pros and cons, but I disagree with your last sentence. The Nano has been changed its styling every year. We can say the same for the 1st and 2nd Gen Nanos about them not being broke. If you still want a 3G Nano you will be able to get one cheaper now.

I was surprised by the clickwheel, but I guess that is a 5th Gen issue to resolve. Now that needs fixing!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

1. What use is wireless? Sharing music (limitations be damned)

2. Wireless transfers from the PC/Mac. If I have just a single song or album it is much easier to download wirelessly. Also great for updating podcasts. Less wear and tear on the dock connector.

3. Radio? Who listens? Why? I listen to NPR (I am old) so yes, the radio is useful. I also use the radio when I am in Japan.

To add to you list...

What use is wireless?

— Zune Marketplace. Instance music on WiFI for those with subscriptions.

Radio?

— FM tuned TVs in gyms

As it's been pointed out, these are not the most commonly used features, but it's nice that there is a product that does cater to those that want an FM radio and WiFI transfers. It seems there are 2.6% of them, which is pretty good considering MS newness in this game, poor customer focus and poor history of making good HW.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Not to mention the information is anonymous. And it's not like musical taste is anything to panic about - most people love to share their musical taste, don't they? Now you can do it and influence the listening habits of other iPod users. Big deal.

I'm all for it. If we are going to be upset about our habits being recorded we should be more concerned with our search and browsing habits being recorded by Google et al. than by Apple taking a peak at our music interests after we give them the okay.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

1. No one is a blanket comment is inaccurate. I bought one.

2. We are in a minority. I accept that.

3. Why is this unfortunate?

???

That's true, but I think it was a bad paraphrase of the statement. It isn't that "nobody bought it", but Jobs was pretty clear in saying they didn't sell nearly as many as the thinner version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post

Faults with the Nano 4G:

The 3G Nano had an all metal case, I'm presuming the top and bottom of the 4G are plastic tabs as on the 2G.

The taller 4G may fit into your hand better but the 3G fits into your pocket more comfortably. More time is spent listening to it then operating it. In landscape mode it will be more awkward to hold than the 3G.

The controls on the 4G are incorrectly orientated when you use it in landscape mode (never thought Apple would accept such a design compromise).

On the 3G the hold switch, docking port and headphone jack are all located on the bottom in a clean symmetrical design. The 4G uses the untidy 2G layout.

The Nano 3G was a classic case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

The problem is that styles need to change on occasion to keep the product line interesting, and the nano being the most popular device needs it more than their less popular devices.

Your objection to the plastic endcaps doesn't make sense to me, it didn't cause me any problems, and I haven't heard of any complaints about it before yours. As to which style is more comfortable to hold, that may be a bit left to personal preference.

The controls? There's only four labeled buttons. Is anyone really going to forget what they mean? Or are not able to "read" the symbols in that orientation?
  • Reply 85 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...

So don't use it! Be confident. Make your own playlists. Cum'on - you know you can do it!
  • Reply 86 of 87
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

He might have just been talking about how thin the Nano is. Nobody else can duplicate that.

Also, the new iTunes "Genius" is probably a copywrited program, so of course nobody can duplicate that. Of course, i'm not sure how many people want their listening habits constantly tracked by Apple. Any idea if they including anything in the EULA of iTunes regarding sharing listening habits with other companies? I downloaded 8 today, and it all feels ver big-brotherish...

The key question that needs to be asked is whether it reduces their margins enough to warrant a disclosure like that. I really don't think so.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was surprised by the clickwheel, but I guess that is a 5th Gen issue to resolve. Now that needs fixing!

From the video demonstrating the 4th Gen. In horizontal view the clickwheel is used to fastforward/rewind and the center button to play/stop/select. It does not appear you are intended to use the sideways symbols.