iPod 2.1 offers promise for Friday's 'big' iPhone software update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    Does this fix the disappearing search bar in the Contacts app? When I start Contacts, I get a search bar on top for about one second and then it disappears with no way of getting it back. Only to make it appear briefly I have to restart Contacts (holding down the home button) or restart the whole iPhone.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The only people caught in a "reality distortion field" are those that are ignorant of real world situations and influences. I'm surprised you're not here bitching about the fact that your USB 2.x throughput isn't actually 480Mbps!? Maybe you should sue Intel or something.

Ironically, Apple is the only* OEM that doesn't list the theoretical 802.11n and 3G speeds. They list 2x faster than EDGE and 5x faster than 802.11g for then n routers. They aren't listing the 7.2Mbps and 300Mbps that others are, but they are getting sued.

They also have been using real world battery tests for a few years, though Sony did announce yesterday that they will be using a more realistic metric for battery duration in their future products.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Lighten up dood!

It was a joke (sorely needed in this thread IMO), and I don't need a big lecture on the theoretical workings of the US legal system.

You are also, just wrong on the facts here. The lawsuits in question (ie.- what we are actually supposed to be talking about here), were definitely frivolous and moslty aimed at the wrong company. My deliciously humorous response was to point out that you can say stuff like this over and over again, and it wont make it true. People being what they are though, half of everyone will likely believe you when you say it. But that don't make it true either.

I too, thought some of Apple's latest advertisements were a bit misleading but that's not the topic here. Other people also thought so and Apple responded by actually changing them (like the one that now says "really fast" instead of "twice as fast.") Again though, that's not what these lawsuits we are talking about were actually based on.

The assertion, repeated here that Apple "hasn't responded" to issues like this are 100% false (that's called a "lie" by most people). The assertion that the latest round of frivolous lawsuits "forced Apple to respond" (and are therefore a good thing) is equally 100% false.

And whether you are a Republican or a Democrat (I'm neither), the fact that the McCain campaign has recently been knowingly promoting factual inaccuracies (notice how I got PC there just for you?), as truth knowing that half of the population of the US will believe it anyway, is totally relevant and the very source of the humour in my remarks (which you totally missed.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

Way to bring totally irrelevant politics into this. Perhaps HALF of the US is sitting on their collective duffs as open-mouthed consumers instead of being irate with the status quo of false advertisements and unsubstantiated claims of performance.

Lawsuits are designed to act as a check and balance of the system. When the system is in equilibrium, there will be frivolous lawsuits, and there will be suits of merit. I wouldn't consider holding an advertiser to their claims to be frivolous. Making sweeping statements for fifty seconds followed by a few microscopic lines of "disclaimer" does not truth in advertising make. If we stop requiring TRUTH in print/radio/TV, all of our information sources will further ride down a slippery slope.

Perhaps we're all just to accustomed to being fed lies and half-truths to know any better or care. Coming full circle to politics, I would argue that we've forgotten that there was a time when the word "libel" meant something.

• Reply 44 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Great post. It's very good to hear that about the Contacts, that is promising.

I also was always bewildered by the fact that to get to the search, you had to go all the way to the top. Of course if doing that didn't take 20 seconds on my phone, it would be not as bad, but its boneheaded either way.

Thanks!

You know you can tap the status bar at the top of the phone when you are in a list and it will take you back to the top, right?
  • Reply 45 of 92
    deleted my comments: I agree with another poster; we get enough politics everywhere else. Let's just enjoy our Apple/iPhone talk here.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You mean like the lie that your pastor, the anti-American racist hate mongerer, never spewed any vile while you sat in his church for 20 years, married you, and baptised your kids?

Look, I'm not Barry, and I'm not even in the USA. This thread shouldn't be about politics either. I was (perhaps inadvisably) using McCain just to make a joke.

That being said, I can't let you get away with the comment because it's not true. In fact it's the opposite of true. So here's the facts.

Out of the four candidates (Pres and VicePres):
    • The only Candidate in the US 2008 election who *doesn't* have a Pastor that at one point said something about how he "hates" America, is Joe Biden.

• The only candidate that can be proven to have been actually sitting in a church when their pastor made those remarks and did absolutely nothing about it, is Sarah Palin.

• Both Barry and John have pastors that made similar remarks, but both claim not to have been ther at the time and no one has proven otherwise so far.

So McCain and Obama are in the middle and reasonably in the clear on this issue. Biden is a saint (on this issue) and Palin is the only one who actually deserves this kind of criticism (but isn't getting it). Those are the actual facts. You can look them up if you don't believe me.

Stick to the truth and it will set you free.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    This update sounds like the real deal! Looking forward to the iPhone version with fewer dropped calls and such...
  • Reply 48 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The only candidate that can be proven to have been actually sitting in a church when their pastor made those remarks and did absolutely nothing about it, is Sarah Palin.

I haven't heard of that. Gotta Google it!

PS: What is the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? You can spay a pitbull.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

Great!!! Drive up prices like mad with all these million dollar law suits! As an attorney, I prefer to look a t this from a consumer´s point of view. There are surely also market reasons for having released the update, not to mention the wrath of Steve Jobs!!
  • Reply 50 of 92
    I just hope 2.1 fixes my inability to use any Apps whatsoever -- a bug that struck three people who visited my Apple Store's Genius Bar on Monday. Several have had the same problem since the weekend.

This problem caused me to take the most drastic actions possible to try to fix what I thought might have been a problem with the file system on the iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 51 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technosmurf;

Both these are not new.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

Does my girlfriend's iPhone 3g get "300 hours of standby"? Not on your life. Try 20 on a good day.

If this is actually the case something is drastically wrong with your girlfriend's iPhone 3G, and she should take it into an Apple store. Mine will last for days if all it's doing is sitting on standby.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    [Edit]
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robb1068 View Post

[I]What's more, icons of updated applications now retain their pre-set position on the Touch's home screen, rather than being thrust to the end of the home screen, where they previously needed to be forcibly repositioned by the user.

Oh, thank God... That was driving me crazy!
  • Reply 55 of 92
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    That's all I want. I don't want to have to check in with my phone every time I step away for a minute to see if I've missed an important call. How hard could it be to include this? I've had it on every cell phone I've owned for the past many years.

I also want reminder beeps for missed messages and email. And I want to be able to set the beep type and snooze times. C'mon Apple, don't make me have to write this myself.

(And yes, I've given Apple feedback about this want/need... around June 12.)
  • Reply 56 of 92
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

All I am saying is they denied denied denied until the first suit was filed, then they said "oh shit, fix in Sept! we promise!"

Oh please, show me one Apple statement where they denied there was a problem. They just didn't talk much about it but they never said there was not a problem.

My point is that filing legal actions on a new product that's been out for just over a month is just someone trying to scam the courts to make a buck. I really hope they paid attorneys so they loose money but my guess is that it's some scummy attorney taking the case on contingency so they can make a quick buck.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanrock24 View Post

I think a glaring omission is a way to sort Apps. Seems like we really need 2 choices:

1: Sort Alphabetically

2: Leave them where I put them.

That's a really good suggestion I never even thought of. I swap out free apps all the time which would make it useful for my situation as well.

Apple please take note.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

You know you can tap the status bar at the top of the phone when you are in a list and it will take you back to the top, right?

Try doing that on an iPhone with 800 contacts.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoney35 View Post

If this is actually the case something is drastically wrong with your girlfriend's iPhone 3G, and she should take it into an Apple store. Mine will last for days if all it's doing is sitting on standby.

How would anyone know that about their iPhone? Surely you've never left it in such a state for that length of time have you?
  • Reply 60 of 92
    - Copy/paste

- Video recording

- native MMS

?