iPod 2.1 offers promise for Friday's 'big' iPhone software update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

How would anyone know that about their iPhone? Surely you've never left it in such a state for that length of time have you?

I go camping for two and three days at a time. When I do this I pretty much never answer my phone, as part of my reason for camping is to "get away" from the city. Anyways, after two or three days of camping my iPhone will have nearly a full battery remaining. He was saying that his gf's battery would only last 20 hours. All I was trying to say was that based on my experience, 20 hours is way out of line with what I would expect to get.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

- Copy/paste

- Video recording

- native MMS

?

I find i odd that the first one has been done in some regard, yet it's the one that needs to be systemwide, yet the last two can be standalone apps, but are nonexistent. They exist on jailbroken iPhones, at least on v1.x, but not in the App Store, yet I see nothing in the SDK that would prevent them.

Could you not have an SMS/MMS app that would send your small data over EDGE or 3G to a relay server that would forward those to the correct recipient? They have these apps for the desktop, so why not the iPhone? It seems that the high cost of SMS from the carriers and the seemingly overwhelming desire for MMS would have pushed some developers to cash in on this.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Look, I'm not Barry, and I'm not even in the USA. This thread shouldn't be about politics either. I was (perhaps inadvisably) using McCain just to make a joke.

That being said, I can't let you get away with the comment because it's not true. In fact it's the opposite of true. So here's the facts.

Out of the four candidates (Pres and VicePres):
    • The only Candidate in the US 2008 election who *doesn't* have a Pastor that at one point said something about how he "hates" America, is Joe Biden.

• The only candidate that can be proven to have been actually sitting in a church when their pastor made those remarks and did absolutely nothing about it, is Sarah Palin.

• Both Barry and John have pastors that made similar remarks, but both claim not to have been ther at the time and no one has proven otherwise so far.

So McCain and Obama are in the middle and reasonably in the clear on this issue. Biden is a saint (on this issue) and Palin is the only one who actually deserves this kind of criticism (but isn't getting it). Those are the actual facts. You can look them up if you don't believe me.

Stick to the truth and it will set you free.

Your facts. How do you know when and where she was? Were you sitting next to her?

Stop commenting on US politics here and stop spreading falacies.

You state something without backing it up? Begone!
  • Reply 64 of 92
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Do you REALLY believe that Apple would not have fixed the problems if none of the lawsuits were filed? If you do I have a bridge to sell you. It takes time to figure out what the issues are. I'd rather have Apple finding the problem than sending out press releases with un-founded information.

Some people are just so cynical.

We can keep going around and around on this. You praise Apple for responding to customer issues. But at the same time, you don't like it when people complain about issues. You call people cynical. But those people can turn around and call you a blind Apple sycophant.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It is software. I think everyone knows Apple would have corrected this stuff regardless as they do with Leopard and every OS before it. Otherwise, they would not be in business very long would they? It is absurd to believe or even think Apple would have let the iPhone go on with so much trouble with the high profile gadget.

First, you are implying that Apple has fixed every reported issue in every operating system they ever made. That is simply not true.

But on the other hand, the Mac zealots would defend Apple at any cost. Even now we have the lack of a user replaceable battery and copy-paste in the iPhone. But considering the iPhone's current success, does that mean leaving out those features was the right thing to do? Did leaving out those features contribute to the iPhone's success? Would the iPhone be less successful if it included those features to begin with?

http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

Steve Jobs says: With a big fast launch, on the other hand, a few malcontents wouldn't be heard above the general hoopla.

Those don't look like the words of a corporation acting purely out of the goodness of their heart. It looks like a corporation discussing damage control and looking for ways to keep from looking bad. It looks like a corporation looking to use the general public as a shield, much like Apple's current "high profile gadget".
  • Reply 66 of 92
    Quote:

Try doing that on an iPhone with 800 contacts.

I have 2,294 contacts - and when you touch the top - it goes back up quickly....

getting the search bar to appear and then waiting for the keyboard to appear takes for ever...

this is on iphone with 2.02
  • Reply 67 of 92
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Will apps bought for one iPhone still be installable on a second iPhone/touch that's synced to the same computer? This seems like a "bug" that Apple would be excited about "fixing" in 2.1.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Will apps bought for one iPhone still be installable on a second iPhone/touch that's synced to the same computer? This seems like a "bug" that Apple would be excited about "fixing" in 2.1.

Don't know if it will be 'fixed' but you do realize that its not that its sync'd to the same computer (or at least not only that) but that the two devices use the same itunes account. My wife and I share one itunes account and an application one of us buys the other can install for free.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I really get excited when Apple announces new products. I think most of us will really be reading everything we can get our hands on when the next big thing is announced (tablet, DVR, or something we don't even know about yet). But, it is the little things that Apple does that really make me happy. The 1/2 blue dot for podcasts I haven't finished listening to is great. Sure most of the time I probably won't need this, but it just makes me happy to know its there.

The 1/2 dot thing is a HUGE deal for me. I primarily use my iPod to listen to podcasts, and it's frustrating after syncing to have to figure out which episode I was on -- the Economist has like 90 little podcasts per week. In the first update, podcasts were basically ignored. Finally they're getting some attention...
  • Reply 70 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Spoken like a true liberalist that has probably never worked a single day in corporate America or for any large company at all. The previous lawsuits were absurd (if you even bothered to read them and had half a brain you'd notice that). Should I sue because my car doesn't get the MPG it said I would? It's an estimation, people want everything now for nothing and when they don't get their hopes & dreams satisfied (like that's even possible) they sue. America has gotten way out of hand.

"Estimation" does not equal "estimate"
  • Reply 71 of 92
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

so, now we live in a market system where you have to file a lawsuit to get good products?! Very nice. Sales figures will and always be what drives companies to improve their products not lawsuit. Lawsuits actually hold companied from being annotative. Instead of spending money on R&D they will waste them on legal battles.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I just want to know if this 2.1 update will fix the "update" application bug. I have a bunch of apps that I've tried updating but continually iTunes says that there has been an error. Because of this (especially for the paid apps), I have been very hesitant of updating anything.

The only workaround that I've seen online is to completely remove the app both on the phone and iTunes which works but is a huge pain in the butt.

Any comments on this?

iTunes 8 fixed Application Update bugs. The updates download and the previous versions are finally moved to the trash. Check your Mobile Applications folder in iTunes and delete prior versions and keep the most recent and rename them to remove the appended number that was added on any new version download. Then when you update your apps, old versions should be moved to trash.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    Quote:

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

The lawsuits are worthless and did nothing. Apple had iPhone 2.1 in the works long before any of the bullshit lawsuits were filed. The lawsuits have no merit since none of them are based on real-world experience. Most were admittedly based on bullshit internet reports.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:

All I am saying is they denied denied denied until the first suit was filed, then they said "oh shit, fix in Sept! we promise!"

Wow, you are really are clueless! Apple never denied any of the issues people had with the phone. Have you heard of iPhone 2.0.1, 2.0.2, and 2.1? Three updates in two months. The bullshit lawsuits had nothing to do with the planned software updates.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Anyone with 2.1 installed on their iPod Touch know if Apple added landscape view in Mail and/or SMS yet??

My goodness, this is so obvious and should be so easy to implement, I just don't understand why they haven't added it yet. I am SO tired of scrolling back and forth to read an HTML email that has been zoomed.

And yes, I have submitted this request to Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Does anyone know if this 2.1 update will include GPS enhancements to allow turn-by-turn guidance ?
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Hopefully there's a jailbreak hack for this soon, so we can take advantage of these new bug fixes.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Quote:

Try doing that on an iPhone with 800 contacts.

I don't have as many as backtomymac but I have 548, I don't have the issue you are having. It takes a ~ 1 second for it to go all the way from the bottom to the top. Getting access to the search box takes a couple seconds but it's not that bad.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technosmurf View Post

There seems to be new changes within the Mail app.

I just hope they fixed the bugs in the Mail app.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Quote:

The level of varriance from the estimates is the issue here:

If a car said 20MPG and you got 17 ot 18, that is likely acceptable, if you got 7 or 8, that is not acceptable, and if the car manufacturer will not correct it, and many millions of unikts have the same issue, that is what this type of law is all about. It shouldnt be about getting rich which it sometimes is, sadly. but really it is the ultimate and final line of consumer protection.

Problem with that analogy is that the EPA does the milage rating on cars, not the manufacturer, if you are getting 7 or 8 on a car with an EPA rating of 20... you're doing it wrong.