iPod 2.1 offers promise for Friday's 'big' iPhone software update

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

That's all I want. I don't want to have to check in with my phone every time I step away for a minute to see if I've missed an important call. How hard could it be to include this? I've had it on every cell phone I've owned for the past many years.

I also want reminder beeps for missed messages and email. And I want to be able to set the beep type and snooze times. C'mon Apple, don't make me have to write this myself.

(And yes, I've given Apple feedback about this want/need... around June 12.)

Solution = Mobile Phone, take phone with you, then you won't miss the important call.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Solution = Mobile Phone, take phone with you, then you won't miss the important call.

Except that...

Some buildings provide intermittent reception due to metal super structures.

Some employers forbid mobile phones in certain areas.

Some environments are too loud or dangerous for phone usage.

Some neighborhoods or regions have spotty service.

Some tasks can not be interrupted for answering calls.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Except that...

Some buildings provide intermittent reception due to metal super structures.

Some employers forbid mobile phones in certain areas.

Some environments are too loud or dangerous for phone usage.

Some neighborhoods or regions have spotty service.

Some tasks can not be interrupted for answering calls.

So as soon as you return to the phone - you check for missed calls!
  • Reply 84 of 92
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

Apple was fixing these bugs before a single lawsuit was filed. These bugs were fixed in 2.1 betas. Believe me, Apple did not just start fixin them after a lawsuit as if that was the case we would be waiting another month or two.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

So as soon as you return to the phone - you check for missed calls!

Gee, we never thought of that.

A hallmark of Apple customers is that we aren't satisfied with "good enough". We're willing to criticize products, even products we like, in order to make them better.

In this case, a better phone wouldn't force users to constantly check on things for which it is perfectly capable of providing notifications.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Spoken like a true liberalist.

Conservatives should support the use of the courts to enforce contracts - this is essential to protecting property rights, which conservatives support. Don't fault liberals for taking legal action. Corporations are happy to use the courts when it is in their interest.

And as someone who has worked in corporate America, the threat of a lawsuit does in fact motivate companies to do a better more careful job in many cases. Did the lawsuits in this case have an impact on Apple? It might have in terms of the quality of its communication but probably not in terms resolving the technical issues given the timeframe. In general the threat of a lawsuit does certainly keep companies on their toes, as they should be.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    I've been having problems with Mail hanging on sending mail. Sometimes it just gets stuck in the out box. Then there is no way to make it go. The campus SMTP server that I use sucks so it could be two bad systems conspiring to make life even worse.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    OK, Im in the UK, when do you all reckon this bad boy is going to go live today?

• Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

OK, Im in the UK, when do you all reckon this bad boy is going to go live today?

8:20 here in Newfoundland right now and update still not available... my guess, Apple will be waiting until 6PM like it usually does for Friday launches. Makes sense when it's 6 PM in California, but that's 10:30 at night here and 2AM for my Commonwealth siblings across the pond.
  • Reply 90 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Conservatives should support the use of the courts to enforce contracts - this is essential to protecting property rights, which conservatives support. Don't fault liberals for taking legal action. Corporations are happy to use the courts when it is in their interest.

Part of the problem here is the one jerk reaction that many liberals have to sue if things aren't as they should be. The other part os the attitude displayed that one doesn't needs to be an informed, educated consumer because you always have the option of suing if things aren't as you expect them to be.

Conservatives certainly don't support law suits because the consumer is too stupid to educate himself about the products fit for his needs.

Quote:

And as someone who has worked in corporate America, the threat of a lawsuit does in fact motivate companies to do a better more careful job in many cases.

Sometimes but that certainly isn't the only effect it has. The ultimate effect depends on many things including the companies leadership and fianacial situation. Often the effect is the company going out of business or dropping a product.

Quote:

Did the lawsuits in this case have an impact on Apple? It might have in terms of the quality of its communication but probably not in terms resolving the technical issues given the timeframe.

The time frame is exactly why such law suits are framed with the liberal slant. When a computer/cell project this large is rolled out there are bound to be problems that AT&T, Apple and other partners will need time to work out. It has been barely two months and Apple is on their third update, that sounds like a company working very hard to resolve issues.

Quote:

In general the threat of a lawsuit does certainly keep companies on their toes, as they should be.

This statement is interesting but can at times have the opposite effect. When you are in Apple position every crack pot with an excuse comes around to sue simply to siphon off cash from the rich corporation. Think about it not a month goes by that Apple doesn't get sued for something after awhile you end with a callus indiference because nothing you will do will impact the tone nor the amount of legal actions coming at you. Apple is almost a text book case here, if somebody gets a hangnail while typing on an Apple keyboard they get sued.

Consider some of the complaints lodged against 3G.

Battery life - none other than Steve himself declared that to be an issue. Yet people complain. They are likely the same people that are using the device non stop for hours on end to cruise the net.

Bars - no not the ones you drink in but rather the signal strength type. There is no industry standard as to what the bars imply signal strength wise but people use them to compare phones. Total BS unless there is some sort of calibration taking place before hand.

Dropped calls - certainly a problem but 3G signalling is different enough that it will never perform as well around obstructions as edge.

Edge fall backs - of course the phone falls back to edge. If it didn't how would you expect the phone to work outside of 3G areas. Yes people there is limited 3G coverage and this has been made known to the user community.

Software bugs and stability - again all a buyer needs to do is to keep himself informed. For one thing the SDK was barely stable right up to release date. Another thing to consider this was a major project to deliver version #2, in effect the started over to deliver apps and libraries suitable for third party development.

Quality of third party apps - there are two problems that stand out here. One was the late delivery of a Stable SDK. The other is that this is a new platform for programmers to hone their skills on and that has been confounded by the NDA. In any event the slow trickle of apps is a sign that not all is well in app development land.

So from what I can see Apple is addressing the outstanding issues most of which are software. Frankly I expected some problems when I purchased my iPhone but the real problems did exceed my expectations. I purchased anyways because I had confidence in Apple that theybwant to support iPhone better than any other product competing with. This much in the same way as they do their other software products. In fact the only reason I purchased a smart phone from Apple is that they are the only company I have any confidence in that they will continue to support their phone, it's OS and the app environment.

Dave
  • Reply 91 of 92
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    It's available now.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    I'm an Edge network user, first gen iPhone user, and I still hear about people having problems with their camera: crashes and blank icons where photos should be when looking at the pictures in gallery mode. Hopefully, 2.1 will provide a consistent fix. Also hope that all development isn't being concentrated on 3G. I'm not ready to make the switch yet - I just bought the phone last September!