Mac Pro & Apple Remote Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I've done a search through the threads and found nothing that solves my problems. I'm hoping one or more of you all know of a solution to my problem. I appreciate your time and thank you all in advance.

I have a Mac Pro and 30" Cinema Display that I completely love in every way, aside from one. It appears that there wasn't an IR port manufactured into the Mac Pro itself, or the 30" display. I am aware that the vast majority of the people using this particular setup are professionals and aren't the least bit interested in using Front Row. I, however, am looking for that particular functionality.

I've talked the the people at the Apple Store and they told me that there are third party units out there that may be able to work, albeit with ugly remotes, and RF units that plug into the USB. Here's my question for those learned people here.

If I have an iPod dock that has an IR port built into it connected to my Mac Pro, why will the Mac Pro not utilize that IR port for the purposes of accessing Front Row? Is there software I can install that will tell the Mac Pro to use that particular IR port and Apple remote for use with Front Row? Are there settings in System Preferences that will enable this functionality?

I really hope there's an easy solution to this that utilizes the IR port I already have in my iPod dock. I look forward to your help in this matter.

Regards,

Brian Green