3G chip in next macbook air?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I find myself wishing for a 3G chip in my macbook air quite often. 3G is fast enough that you could use it for internet on a regular basis and with such a portable laptop it just makes sense. The laptop already has an ariel for wifi. How much would it cost to stick a 3G chip in? I mean seriously? Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    3G chip= Cheap

At&T deal = not so much

Plan for consumers= Astronomical
  • Reply 2 of 6
    How about they work on using the iPhone 3G as a bluetooth 3G modem that we can use with our MacBooks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Waterbed Salesman View Post

How about they work on using the iPhone 3G as a bluetooth 3G modem that we can use with our MacBooks.

Steve Jobs actually admitted recently that he is working with AT&T on that. Expect to pay through the nose though.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I think the tethering option is fine for all the other macbooks, but, for the macbook air, they really should have a built in 3G chip. The computer is so small that I find myself taking it with me on almost any trip. It would be a great selling point for the air and a way of reenforcing the machine's portability.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Its not cost effective to put a standalone GSM radio in a laptop as there is no guarantee that the end user will goto AT&T sign up for a contract just to get 3G on their notebook...where as with the iPhone you have to sign a contract to even use the thing as an iPod. On top of that Id say at least half of MacBook Air owners have a iPhone already. So why pay twice for 3G bandwidth?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Not to mention it is really hard to hold an Air up to your face with one hand, especially while driving...