2G upgrade from 1.14 to 2.1, help please

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I've read several places that if you have a unlocked, jailbroken 2G and do not care about staying jailbroken you can just hook up to Itunes 8 upgrade and although you won't be jailbroken you will still be unlocked. Most who have outlined that scenario are upgrading from 2.0 or 2,02. Will that same strategy work going directly from 1.14 to 2.1. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigeeked View Post

I've read several places that if you have a unlocked, jailbroken 2G and do not care about staying jailbroken you can just hook up to Itunes 8 upgrade and although you won't be jailbroken you will still be unlocked. Most who have outlined that scenario are upgrading from 2.0 or 2,02. Will that same strategy work going directly from 1.14 to 2.1. Thanks

Works fine. Just make sure you put the iPhone into recovery mode first.(Or atleast thats what I would do just to be safe)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Works fine. Just make sure you put the iPhone into recovery mode first.(Or atleast thats what I would do just to be safe)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to question but I'm new at this--are you sure it's OK to go straight from 1.14 to 2.1 thus bypass upgrading to 2.0, 2.01 or 2.02 (and still stay unlocked) Thanks.........Ed
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trigeeked View Post

Sorry to question but I'm new at this--are you sure it's OK to go straight from 1.14 to 2.1 thus bypass upgrading to 2.0, 2.01 or 2.02 (and still stay unlocked) Thanks.........Ed

Technically NO. I updated my GF's 2G from 1.1.4(Jailbroken) to 2.0 without a hitch and then also my 3G I had 2.0.1(Jailbroken) to 2.1 without problems. But I put it into recovery mode first so that I knew I wasn't going to have problems. NOT putting it into recovery mode might brick your iPhone, but I'm sure somebody here could chime in on that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Just remember that you're going to lose all your info by doing this too. Unless of course you have MobileMe like I do. Then you'll still have everything on your iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Works fine. Just make sure you put the iPhone into recovery mode first.(Or atleast thats what I would do just to be safe)

My friend also told me about recovery mode. But please sir explain me some thing about this recovery mode. How i can enable it in my iphone?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addy moe View Post

My friend also told me about recovery mode. But please sir explain me some thing about this recovery mode. How i can enable it in my iphone?

here is the process if enanbling recovery mode:

Disconnect your iPhone from your Mac or Windows computer.

Press and hold the sleep/wake and home buttons simultaneously for about 20-30 seconds, until you see a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the middle accompanied by the text "Please Connect to iTunes."

Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes if it does not automatically launch.

You'll get the following message:

iphone has detected an iphone in the recovery mode, you must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes.

After this you can restore your iPhone by clicking the Restore button under the Summary tab....

got it...

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=367

check page for further explanation...