QuickBooks 2009 for Mac coming October 8

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Intuit next month will begin shipping QuickBooks 2009 for Mac, an overhaul to its small business accounting software redesigned for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard that leverages features such as Spotlight and Cover Flow.

The new release promises much closer functional parity with QuickBooks Pro 2009 for Windows, but will reportedly still lack some important functions like networking (multi-user) support.

One of the new features Intuit plans to tout is a redesigned Super Navigator home page that should make it easier for clients to manage their business by providing flowcharts for Customer, Vendor, and Transaction Centers.

The other major selling point will be something called Company Snapshots, or a unified dashboard offering greater visibility into the performance of a business through expense charts, customer balances, and key reminders. Company snapshots can be printed for consultant engagements and otherwise used to help clients better manage their business.

Outside of those two major features, other changes in QuickBooks 2009 largely center around improvements to pre-existing functions, such as improved iCal integration, and improved usability of Forms and List Views.

The new version will also introduce DirectConnect access for securely downloading bank and credit card transactions, and feature improvements to handling of batch invoicing.

QuickBooks 2009 has a new look and feel Super Navigator homepage.

Although Intuit has yet to issue a press release announcing formal availability, online retailer Amazon.com began taking pre-orders for the $200 software earlier this week, listing a release date of October 8th.

Company Snapshot groups graphs with key financial information.

Meanwhile, Ars noted earlier this week that the radical redesign of Quicken for Mac previewed for AppleInsider over 8 months ago at Macworld 2008 has thus far proven to be vaporware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    I will wait for the completely re-written quicken...this just looks like a moderate update to the existing codebase rather than the complete re-write that is supposed to come out in 2009 I guess? I'll wait for that then
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Official info from Intuit posted for accountants

http://proadvisor.intuit.com/product/whatsnew/index.jsp
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meanwhile, Ars noted earlier this week that the radical redesign of Quicken for Mac previewed for AppleInsider over 8 months ago at Macworld 2008 has thus far proven to be vaporware.

I've switched to Apple's Numbers.

It is hands down, the easiest and best personal finance software I have ever used.

I just created about 8 spread sheets that track:

-Debt

--Credit Cards

--Loans

-Payment Calendar

-Retirement Savings

-Investments

-FICO Score

-AT&T minutes calendar (helps me pace my usage)

Numbers creates beautiful charts that help me to see exactly where I'm at and keeps me motivated to keep improving my "numbers".
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Coverflow, huh?

You know, the one thing I've always thought was missing from accounting software was an emulation of desperate shuffling through receipts at the end of the year, trying to find that one write-off.

It's a wondrous day.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Keep it.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

It is hands down, the easiest and best personal finance software I have ever used.

-Debt

--Credit Cards

--Loans

-Payment Calendar

-Retirement Savings

-Investments

-FICO Score

Numbers creates beautiful charts that help me to see exactly where I'm at and keeps me motivated to keep improving my "numbers".

Numbers may be great for you. I'm guessing that you have a very small business or use it just for personal use. That doesn't count it companies that aren't tiny.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    So will this one not suck as much as all their other Mac attempts? Is there any mac accounting software that doesn't suck!?

My sister called practically crying about how useless Quicken on a Mac was, but the most depressing issue was that the best solution is to use Parallels and run Quicken for Windows since all the native programs apparently suck as well!

How hard can it possibly be?! And when will there be a proper QuickBooks for Mac... or a great alternative?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

How hard can it possibly be?! And when will there be a proper QuickBooks for Mac... or a great alternative?

I agree...

The one application keeping Windows in place at one of my clients is Quickbooks.

I'd be OK if their online product had feature parity with the desktop version, but it's got even less features than the Mac version (though the iPhone client is nice enough).

We looked at NetSuite - and while the product itself was great - they charge you $15K to install it yourself on top of the application rental, and the pricing goes up from there.

Outside of the emulation options - is there a "real" accounting package for the Mac that anyone here could recommend?

Bonus points if the backend is Filemaker, since we're already running the server.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

WTF I remember the beautiful sexy "screen shots" I saw previewing the almost native Apple looking Quickbooks software. Vaporware? Wow Intuit really needs to change their name to Twit or something.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:

-Debt

--Credit Cards

--Loans

-Payment Calendar

-Retirement Savings

-Investments

-FICO Score

How so? where does the speadsheet retreive all this data? Or do you have to manually type it? Please reply....
  • Reply 11 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Is there any word on whether this version is built to handle the Canadian GST?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Doesn't seem to have Credit Card processing or integration with any Receipt Scanning solutions. Fail.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Still no mulit-user support?

Don't.

Even.

Bother.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Aren't we trying to get away from Excel like UI's and 80's spreadsheets? Maybe I just don't know enough about accounting. I have kept the books for a couple of my small businesses though and was getting used to Quickbooks. Always hoped for a nice new redesigned version for Leopard though.

I think being in 2008 and using Apple products means we should be able to present and use slick looking UI's and revolutionary applications helping us to get away from ol' school accounting.

Accounting should be no different than say the video or audio industry. Tape splicing to FCP / Avid -> spreadsheets and crappy UI's to creative looking and practical native Apple accounting apps.

No surprise though. Not that many creatives out there trying to reinvent the abacus.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Doesn't seem to have Credit Card processing or integration with any Receipt Scanning solutions. Fail.

LOL Please don't use my word. I invented FAIL

J/K 'FAIL' is the new PWNED isn't it?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    For a moment there, eyeing through the headlines, I thought Quickbook was the new Macbook.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Numbers may be great for you. I'm guessing that you have a very small business or use it just for personal use. That doesn't count it companies that aren't tiny.

If you read my post you would have seen that I only quoted the part regarding Quicken, not QuickBooks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

How so? where does the speadsheet retreive all this data? Or do you have to manually type it? Please reply....

As I get bills and make payments, I manually enter the data into the spreadsheets.

Again it isn't sophisticated but that is part of the beauty of it.

It is a pleasure to use and the beautiful graphs keep me on track.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    We have been using QuickBook Pro for the Mac since the beginning and find it works very well for our small business.

Yes, there are features we'd like to see, i.e., multi-users, charts with the $ amounts shown under the columns, putting notes on the bottom of invoices, but not that info., show up when you print out statements.

Not much in the scheme of things.

Skip
  • Reply 19 of 42
    I spotted this on amazon at around 12:45 EST, I'm kinda surprised at how fast the article went up.

Anyways... Quickbooks for the iPhone. How does this work. For instance, can I enter data that I can have stored on the go? Will it be possible for me to keep track of my expenses from my iPhone? Because seriously, that's the one and only feature I'm looking for. Bookkeeping on the go. That would make my life a whole hell of a lot easier.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

-Debt

--Credit Cards

--Loans

-Payment Calendar

-Retirement Savings

-Investments

-FICO Score

wow, Apple should use you for an ad. =)