Apple releases WebObjects 5.4.3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released WebObjects 5.4.3 [158.4MB], an update to the version of WebObjects included in the Mac OS X Leopard tools. The release addresses issues in the areas of runtime database interaction, Direct to Web, and field validation, among others. The update can be installed on Mac OS X 10.5.3 or later with Xcode 3.1 or later version of the Developer Tools installed. See the release notes for more information.

Separately, Apple released Server Admin Tools 10.5.5 [64MB], which contains remote administration tools, documentation, and utilities that Mac OS X Server admins can install on a computer other than their server. The release notes cover changes to Server Admin, System Image Utility, and Workgroup Manager.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    How many people use this?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Many in Fortune 500 companies.

It solved, a decade ago, issues of web deployment that I still hear people complain about today, and are looking for a solution. Heck, I heard it today in a meeting. "We're using ASP .NET, and we're thinking about using WinForms, but the migration looks costly, and it's unproven..." I just chuckled.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Many in Fortune 500 companies.

It solved, a decade ago, issues of web deployment that I still hear people complain about today, and are looking for a solution. Heck, I heard it today in a meeting. "We're using ASP .NET, and we're thinking about using WinForms, but the migration looks costly, and it's unproven..." I just chuckled.

I sure as hell hope WOF 6 gets an ObjC facelift. WebScript for ObjC in WOF was a nice scripting angle from the 3.x days.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Apple charged too much for WebObjects back in the day, something ludicrous like $10,000 per license. Granted, they charge less now, but they missed the boat.

I worked with WebObjects about 7 years ago, and it was still impressive then. It was like a combination of Hibernate, Spring and Tapestry, all with respective GUIs for configuration.