iPhone vs. Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't think it's an iPhone clone per se, and it is interesting.

But it's not up there with the iPhone. It lacks the polish the iPhone has. And that is not easy to emulate, at all, at all, at all.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Not much to discuss. No one really knows anything about Android outside of mobile nerds and Linux fans (maybe). It's like the Ubuntu of the mobile market, except that it hasn't shipped yet. So, it's a niche of Linux mobile OS niche of the mobile market. Can't see how it will ship on a lot of units unless some carrier/operator decides to put it on low end phones ("free" with contract) and mid-range phones (~$100? with contract).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Now we know a lot more.

Basically it will be an outdated phone design with a cumbersome sliding keyboard and open-sauce software (free for all software).

No offense but open sauce has its uses but developing for a phone is not one of them. It is going to be a mess of malware and unstable crappy third party software. Already, google puts out software that is enernally beta and even if release they are sub par when compared with much more polished and stable apple software.

It seems like a non-starter to me, frankly.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Not much to discuss. No one really knows anything about Android outside of mobile nerds and Linux fans (maybe). It's like the Ubuntu of the mobile market, except that it hasn't shipped yet. So, it's a niche of Linux mobile OS niche of the mobile market. Can't see how it will ship on a lot of units unless some carrier/operator decides to put it on low end phones ("free" with contract) and mid-range phones (~$100? with contract).

Except Linux on the desktop has always lacked a pc vendor that would champion its cause.

I will be very surprised if T-Mobile doesn't push Android hard. If it is even reasonably successful then look for other carriers to jump in head first. I would expect Verizon and Sprint to pick up a model as well. That doesn't guarantee success (having several telco carriers sell your product), but it does help.

If Android does gain traction in the market place look for developers to embrace Android. That may not mean that they will quit developing for the iPhone but that Android may get as much attention from developers as the iPhone. This would eliminate or minimize an advantage that the iPhone has over other cell phones. Apple continues to shoot themselves in the foot by arbitrarily rejecting some apps from the app store. Google can really look like a white knight among developers if they avoid the mistakes Apple have made with the app store.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Now we know a lot more.

Basically it will be an outdated phone design with a cumbersome sliding keyboard and open-sauce software (free for all software).

Yes, now we know you have failed to understand what Android is. Not particularly surprising given the initial poll.

Quote:

No offense but open sauce has its uses but developing for a phone is not one of them. It is going to be a mess of malware and unstable crappy third party software.

Exactly like that "Mac OS X" thing. You know, the OS that lets its users run anything they want, and is consequently always made unusable by malware and crappy software?

I wonder when its developers man up, take responsibility and start deciding what may and may not run on the computer. It should be a first priority to put a stop to any and all apps that duplicate existing functionality. Anyone who needs more than the provided web browser, text editor etc. has to be up to no good. Most network-related functionality should be categorically banned. After all, if everyone could do what they want with the network, isn't there a high probability that the Internet crashes?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Except Linux on the desktop has always lacked a pc vendor that would champion its cause.

I will be very surprised if T-Mobile doesn't push Android hard. If it is even reasonably successful then look for other carriers to jump in head first. I would expect Verizon and Sprint to pick up a model as well. That doesn't guarantee success (having several telco carriers sell your product), but it does help.

If Android does gain traction in the market place look for developers to embrace Android. That may not mean that they will quit developing for the iPhone but that Android may get as much attention from developers as the iPhone. This would eliminate or minimize an advantage that the iPhone has over other cell phones. Apple continues to shoot themselves in the foot by arbitrarily rejecting some apps from the app store. Google can really look like a white knight among developers if they avoid the mistakes Apple have made with the app store.

Your entire post is a bunch of unsupported wishful thinking. Besides, Apple is not arbitrary about their app store selection. Imagine when apps like "Get Rich" becomes allowed and downloaded to the android phone. I will be laughing my head off.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Your entire post is a bunch of unsupported wishful thinking. Besides, Apple is not arbitrary about their app store selection. Imagine when apps like "Get Rich" becomes allowed and downloaded to the android phone. I will be laughing my head off.

Oh, really. Put down the cool aid and take a step back.

While your at it maybe you should do a little reading. Try this, and this.

Oh, and read up on this thread and see the crap and actual developer puts up with to publish an app to the app store.

Look I like Apple as much as anyone. And no product or company is perfect. But Apple are making mistakes in how they are handling accepting apps for the app store. That's fairly obvious by the criticism being leveled by the writers at MacWorld, who rarely criticize Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Oh, really. Put down the cool aid and take a step back.

While your at it maybe you should do a little reading. Try this, and this.

Oh, and read up on this thread and see the crap and actual developer puts up with to publish an app to the app store.

Look I like Apple as much as anyone. And no product or company is perfect. But Apple are making mistakes in how they are handling accepting apps for the app store. That's fairly obvious by the criticism being leveled by the writers at MacWorld, who rarely criticize Apple.

Perhaps, but all the bureocracy in the world won't change the fact that the iPhone is a leap forward while the Android is a capricious gimmick by Larry and Sergei so their lives are not too boring.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Perhaps, but all the bureocracy in the world won't change the fact that the iPhone is a leap forward while the Android is a capricious gimmick by Larry and Sergei so their lives are not too boring.

Um, you could wait for it to be released before coming to such a conclusion. You may very well be right. But why dismiss it before even reading a review on it?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Um, you could wait for it to be released before coming to such a conclusion. You may very well be right. But why dismiss it before even reading a review on it?

I am never going to buy a phone supported by joe in the basement with a sliding keyboard. It is a nonstarter.