Unannounced 4GB fourth-gen iPod nanos on sale in Europe

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple last week introduced its fourth generation iPod nano with storage capacities of 8GB and 16GB, making no mention of a 4GB model that is now widely available through several overseas outlets.

European blog OneMoreThing posted several photos of the mysterious offering earlier this morning, noting that they were spotted on the shelves of Dutch Apple premium reseller HTR for ?119 (or $168) and appear to be the real deal.

Separately, AppleInsider has been pointed to similar listing on the German version of Amazon.com, which lists the 4GB model as being available in all nine colors for ?129, and Austrian reseller Geizhals, where they're listed for ?130.

Another Dutch reseller, A-Mac, also has the 4GB players up for sale at ?119.

The photos published by OneMoreThing, as well as a higher resolution snap on display at Engadget, suggests the players are an official, but unannounced, offering.

Update: German blog Cyberbloc suggests that the 4GB fourth-gen nanos may be the result of a production fault, where Apple initially began manufacturing 4GB and 8GB models but made a near last-minute decision to market 8GB and 16GB models instead. As such, it's suggested that the 4GB models were a limited production that will be sold in Europe while supplies last.

Update 2:Apple Canada is also advising local resellers that they will have access to 4GB nano's next week which will retail for $139 Canadian. Quantities will be limited.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Takes care of the middle tier in markets where consumer goods are taxed (VAT), import duties are high, or purchasing power is low. Apple wants to be premium, but not a luxury.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    How strange. Maybe this explains why the UK back to school promo gives £95 off a nano when the 8Gb nano is £109 - maybe a 4GB nano is to be introduced at £95?

I'm not convinced though. Perhaps it is only to be produced for a short period through certain retailers to clear 4Gb chip inventory.

Either way, it is a very un-Apple move!
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Things that make you go hmmmm
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Strange. But I imagine the resellers are delighted to have another nine SKUs to stock!
  • Reply 5 of 29
    According to this site, it's a minor fault production line (sorry for my english...)

http://www.cyberbloc.de/index.php?/site/v3_comments/produktionsfehlplanung_bei_cyberport_erhaeltlich/

translated
  • Reply 6 of 29
    It still amazes me that Apple is managing a total of 18 nano combinations, let alone another set for the 4gb
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple last week introduced its fourth generation iPod nano with storage capacities of 8GB and 16GB, making no mention of a 4GB model that is now widely available through several overseas outlets.

In most markets we still don't have a proper content offering on music and TV shows - I guess that is why Apple is flogging them over here - deeming that we can live with less space. Little do they know that some countries like The Netherlands are amongst the mostly populated countries on earth on a inhabitants per sq kilometer
  • Reply 8 of 29
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It's too bad they don't have them here, even if it's for a limited time. With all the ipods I have I don't need more than this for the gym.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    4Gb for $99 would be cool...

now 1st Gen iPod touch on clearance section of apple store ...
  • Reply 10 of 29
    On Apple Portugal Store, we have two options:

8GB - 139?

8GB - 189?

I prefer the cheapest onde

Visit the store at

http://store.apple.com/pt

Nav180
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Hmm i wonder if Apple made that decision because Zune made 8 and 16. I love competition. Zune is now pushing Apple. =) A little
  • Reply 12 of 29
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    There we go, I got what I wanted. Thanks apple canada!
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I was at my local Apple Store the other day when I noticed the Which iPod are you? chart they had in the store listed a 4GB iPod nano. I asked the sales person about it. The employees all seemed puzzled. After one went and inquired with a manger, they informed me that it was a typo and removed the chart from the sales floor. I didn't think anything of it at the time and believed it was a typo.

Now in hindsight, I doubt it was a typo. They don't print hundreds of posters and ship them all around the country without someone noticing a major typo.

My guess is they are going to announce them shortly and this particular store just didn't get the memo.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Now in hindsight, I doubt it was a typo. They don't print hundreds of posters and ship them all around the country without someone noticing a major typo.

My guess is they are going to announce them shortly and this particular store just didn't get the memo.

You have no idea how many typos slip past layer after layer of so-called "quality control". It's a toss up.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You have no idea how many typos slip past layer after layer of so-called "quality control". It's a toss up.

Actually, it looks like Apple originally planned to ship 4 and 8 GB nanos.

At the last moment they decided to change it to 8 and 16 GB nanos(because of the zune).

This is why the 16GB models weren't available right away.

Some 4GB models were already produced and now they are clearing them out in Europe.

I wish they made them available here in the US for $99.

I would get one just to use with the Nike+.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

There we go, I got what I wanted. Thanks apple canada!

Are you saying you got a 4GB one from Apple CANADA? If so how?
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Sounds like the 4GB will be pretty valuable on its limited production run.....

Perhaps....
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bslaght View Post

Are you saying you got a 4GB one from Apple CANADA? If so how?

Yes. do tell!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Probably Apple changing production. Maybe they originally though of having an inexpensive 4GB and a premium 16GB, but then changed their minds after production had started. There is no other explanation for a posted sign. Everybody makes mistakes, but Apple surely knows what products they are making.

Mahalo, Mark

web.mac.com/marktrek/Apple/Royal_Hawaiian_Center.html
  • Reply 20 of 29
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Is that nano red and gold?

Or is it just really bad lighting?