EFI-X - usb dongle to run OS X on Intell PC's

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
surprised there isn't a thread here about this yet...maybe I've missed it?

http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?optio...nguage=english

Quite the healthy discussion going on over at MR about this device. (edit: actually, it's possible a lot of the so-called discussion is posturing & flaming. I'm amazed at how controversial products like this are. As someone who once referred to himself as a "hacker" (back in the day, d00d) I can only support this type of endeavor.)

for those who don't click on links, in brief (credit goes to MR for originally publishing the following) :

EFi-X is the latest commercial product to allow PCs to boot Mac OS X. A company called Psystar made headlines in April when it introduced its "Open Computer" which was built from generic PC parts and also allowed users to boot Mac OS X Leopard. Psystar advertised the computer as an affordable alternative to an official Apple Mac. Psystar would install a modified version of Mac OS X on their computers to allow them to boot into Apple's operating system. Apple has since sued the company citing copyright infringement.

EFi-X takes a different approach by offering a hardware add-on that allows you to install an unmodified Mac OS X onto certain PC configurations. EFi-X is offering it as a tool for enthusiasts, and not necessarily for those looking to save money:

EFI-X™ is not for everyone. It is not for who wants to save money, at all. It is for enthusiasts that put expandability and extreme performances before anything else in their computing needs. We heard those voices, and we answered.

Only specific hardware configurations are supported, but if your PC fits those specifications, the EFi-X add-on promises headache free installation and upgrades.

Gizmodo reviews the EFi-X device and finds it lives up to its promises.

Well, I used it to turn my gaming PC into a Mac Pro over the weekend, and I'm somewhat amazed to say this, but it works perfectly. I grabbed all the updates straight from Apple—including 10.5.5 last night, so you don't have to wait for a hacked patch like you would running a typical Hackintosh—installed a whole bunch of software and have been using it for several days. It runs beautifully, just like a real Mac Pro.

The installation requires you to plug the device straight into the motherboard, and upon boot does slow down the Leopard boot process (up to 2 minutes), but once up and running the experience is described as seamless. The product sells for $155 and is now shipping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

surprised there isn't a thread here about this yet...maybe I've missed it?

http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?optio...nguage=english

Quite the healthy discussion going on over at MR about this device. (edit: actually, it's possible a lot of the so-called discussion is posturing & flaming. I'm amazed at how controversial products like this are. As someone who once referred to himself as a "hacker" (back in the day, d00d) I can only support this type of endeavor.)

for those who don't click on links, in brief (credit goes to MR for originally publishing the following) :

EFi-X is the latest commercial product to allow PCs to boot Mac OS X. A company called Psystar made headlines in April when it introduced its "Open Computer" which was built from generic PC parts and also allowed users to boot Mac OS X Leopard. Psystar advertised the computer as an affordable alternative to an official Apple Mac. Psystar would install a modified version of Mac OS X on their computers to allow them to boot into Apple's operating system. Apple has since sued the company citing copyright infringement.

EFi-X takes a different approach by offering a hardware add-on that allows you to install an unmodified Mac OS X onto certain PC configurations. EFi-X is offering it as a tool for enthusiasts, and not necessarily for those looking to save money:

EFI-X? is not for everyone. It is not for who wants to save money, at all. It is for enthusiasts that put expandability and extreme performances before anything else in their computing needs. We heard those voices, and we answered.

Only specific hardware configurations are supported, but if your PC fits those specifications, the EFi-X add-on promises headache free installation and upgrades.

Gizmodo reviews the EFi-X device and finds it lives up to its promises.

Well, I used it to turn my gaming PC into a Mac Pro over the weekend, and I'm somewhat amazed to say this, but it works perfectly. I grabbed all the updates straight from Apple?including 10.5.5 last night, so you don't have to wait for a hacked patch like you would running a typical Hackintosh?installed a whole bunch of software and have been using it for several days. It runs beautifully, just like a real Mac Pro.

The installation requires you to plug the device straight into the motherboard, and upon boot does slow down the Leopard boot process (up to 2 minutes), but once up and running the experience is described as seamless. The product sells for $155 and is now shipping.

also they are working on dropping the price.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

also they are working on dropping the price.

I am actually REALLY interested in this because as things stand, for the first time I can remember Apple doesn't make a single computer I want to own. If I was in the market for a notebook I'd likely end up with a Sony (13", 4lbs, BluRay, and a 16x10 screen for 2k...) and I'd rather build a desktop because the MacPro is too expensive. Apple is clearly saying with this lineup that they don't want customers like me anymore (never owned anything but Macs), so I'm glad to see that someone is enabling us to build out own.

I spent a few hours pricing things out, and for around a grand I could build a system that would destroy every computer in Apple's lineup but the Mac Pro with just as much expandability and a relatively good looking case. Sure I wouldn't have a warranty, but at that price, who cares.