Macbook Battery Problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone. My brother is currently deployed in the middle east in the Navy with little access to the internet for help with his computer problems. Today he emailed me with this issue. I didn't know the answer, so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help:

I accidentally left my laptop in "sleep" mode in my locker for a while (a day or two) and now, it won't even turn on, won't charge, but if I plug the charger in, it will turn on, load, then say that I need to restart my computer. I restart it and the same message comes up. The battery won't even recharge. The light on the part that goes into the side of the computer, it stays orange when I plug it into the computer. Somebody says that the battery is absolutely dead, and I have to change it out. Any ideas, thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your help, both he and I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    If the light is orange, it means the battery is charging.

Could be that the battery is dead, but he should be able to use the computer when plugged in.

-U can try option-P-R at startup, search for resetting PRAM on this forum.

-U can try booting with 'alt' down, do a disk check there. Maybe the harddrive failed.

Maybe there's something wrong with the boat's electric circuits. Overvoltage could result in damage although the charger should take care of that.

Check the magsafe adaptor if it isn't fried because they can get hot when the macbook isn't grounded.(which is the case on a boat i believe)