mac pro graphic cards

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, there are options up to 4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT... and i know that it won't be anywhere up to par with a single NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600.... the thing i wanna know is having 4 grpahic cards on your system, is it that big of a difference working with video? like even crysis wont be running ahead of your graphic card for a mile?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    That is more for if you plan on driving 8 displays simultaneously as it's cheaper. For gaming, go for the single 8800GT. For 3D apps like Maya etc the Quadros have more features but on a budget, the 8800GT is good enough for that purpose. The Quadros aren't gaming cards.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killamike View Post

So, there are options up to 4 x ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT...

Dear Killamike,

Yes, you can install four cards, but that's only an interesting option if you have up to eight monitors to feed. Under OS X you can't couple (crossfire) these individual cards in getting more speed, under Bootcamp/Windows it should be possible with the right drivers. And yes again, you could buy the NVidia "gamers card" GeForce 8800 GT, but unless Apple did something very significant to the NVidia drivers provided with the latest Leopard 10.5.5 update, you're only in for a big disappointment. Until now the combination Apple and NVidia was nothing less then a disaster and discussions about slowness, refresh problems and ghost images are all over the internet.

I wish you success making a choice,

Robbert
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the replies! i'll probably get a mac pro later when it updates then..