NBC sees a million downloads since return to iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Having buried the hatchet with Apple, NBC last week returned to supplying its content to the iTunes Store -- a move that has been met with gangbuster results, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Users of Apple's popular digital storefront had no problem relocating NBC Uni's TV shows now that a new deal between the companies on Sept. 9 restored episodes," the publication said. "More than 1 million downloads for NBC Uni TV properties have been tallied since then, according to Apple."

Prior to its bitter breakup with the iPod maker last fall, it was reported that the network's content was accounting for roughly 40 percent of all video downloads on iTunes. As part of its return to the service last week, NBC pledged to offer one free download from each of its top series -- in standard or HD -- during the first two weeks.

As such, MacRumors points out that a significant portion of its 1 million episode tally may have been a result of these complimentary offerings, rather than paid offerings. TUAW had previously compiled a list of the network's free HD offerings, available below:

He That Believeth in Me - Battlestar Galactica, Season 4Fun Runs, Pts. 1 & 2 - The Office, Season 4Lipstick Jungle: Pilot - Lipstick Jungle, Season 1Four Months Later... - Heroes, Season 2Pilot - In Plain Sight, Season 1Mr. Monk Buys a House - Monk, Season 7Ghosts - Psych, Season 3Merit Badge: Pilot - Life, Season 1Bad to the Drone - Eureka, Season 3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    NBC lost a lot of cash in its little spat with Apple, eh?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

NBC lost a lot of cash in its little spat with Apple, eh?

Not if most of those million dowloads were free. And since you get both the SD & HD versions when you purchase an HD show, whose to say there really weren't only 500,000 true purchases (either paid or free)?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    What's a hatched?
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Why is Monk Series 1-5 in 4:3 format and Series 6-7 in 16:9 format? Can't they convert all the series to 16:9?

All the other TV shows I've previewed on iTunes have been in the 16:9 format - including old programmes.

I was going to buy Series 5 which is the only one currently on offer in the UK iTunes store (go figure?) but it looks ridiculous on my 17" widescreen laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Not if most of those million dowloads were free. And since you get both the SD & HD versions when you purchase an HD show, whose to say there really weren't only 500,000 true purchases (either paid or free)?

This originates from a Hollywood Reporter story that says traffic to all of NBC's online content has increased since NBC went back on iTunes. So all of the benefit isn't in how much money NBC makes directly from iTunes itself, but how iTunes helps NBC grow its audience.

The Hollywood Reporter does say that 30% of the top selling shows on iTunes are NBC shows. So NBC did cut out a good source of revenue.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Why is Monk Series 1-5 in 4:3 format and Series 6-7 in 16:9 format? Can't they convert all the series to 16:9?

I guess you're right, Amazon shows Season 1 being widescreen, so the iTunes version probably should have been too. Not that I can confirm the framing on iTunes, I don't see that info anywhere.

Quote:

All the other TV shows I've previewed on iTunes have been in the 16:9 format - including old programmes.

Exactly how old are you saying here? Not a whole lot of TV a decade or older were made for widescreen, which can cause framing problems. The older the TV show, if it's widescreen, the more likely the video was cropped on the top and bottom to make it widescreen.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Exactly how old are you saying here? Not a whole lot of TV a decade or older were made for widescreen, which can cause framing problems. The older the TV show, if it's widescreen, the more likely the video was cropped on the top and bottom to make it widescreen.

You are right shooting for 16x9 safe framing became common in the late 90's. The 35mm frame is larger than the 4x3 frame used in broadcast television. But older shows would allow stray elements close into the frame that were not intended to be shown. Such as boom microphones, film crew, and lighting equipment. This can make it difficult to get a 16x9 frame from older shows.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    But why did NBC return? Didn't they claim that Hulu was doing great?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Keep it.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A warning: DO NOT watch that free Battlestar Galactica episode unless you've watched seasons zero (miniseries) through three already. It HUGELY spoils all previous seasons within moments, and it's a great series that you deserve to watch will all the surprises intact.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

But why did NBC return? Didn't they claim that Hulu was doing great?

Do we really care why? Hopefully, both itunes and Hulu does well so those that want to pay can pay and those that want to watch for free can do so too.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A warning: DO NOT watch that free Battlestar Galactica episode unless you've watched seasons zero (miniseries) through three already. It HUGELY spoils all previous seasons within moments, and it's a great series that you deserve to watch will all the surprises intact.

I'm surprised there is such a following for BG. I watched about 3 episodes of the first season and couldn't continue. Has it gotten much, much better?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm surprised there is such a following for BG. I watched about 3 episodes of the first season and couldn't continue. Has it gotten much, much better?

What didn't you like about it? I don't have an overwhelming interest in Sci-FI , but I like BSG because it's "naturalized".
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This originates from a Hollywood Reporter story that says traffic to all of NBC's online content has increased since NBC went back on iTunes. So all of the benefit isn't in how much money NBC makes directly from iTunes itself, but how iTunes helps NBC grow its audience.

Sorry, but you're misrepresenting the facts. The article in no way connects NBC's return to iTunes and the surge in site traffic. A quote from the article: "A trio of unrelated events conspired to give NBC Universal record traffic at three Web locations: CNBC.com, NBC.com and iTunes."

Seems they place the surge on NBC.com to the season premiere of Saturday Night Live and the CNBC surge on the stock market turmoil.

Quote:

The Hollywood Reporter does say that 30% of the top selling shows on iTunes are NBC shows. So NBC did cut out a good source of revenue.

When they're giving away a bunch of episodes for free, of course their sales are going to be high. Even free shows are purchases to iTunes.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Aren't they supposed to bring back The IT Crowd?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What didn't you like about it? I don't have an overwhelming interest in Sci-FI , but I like BSG because it's "naturalized".

I actually don't remember my exact objections now (since I only watched those 3 initial episodes), but I think it had something to do with way too much dialogue and unrealistic character behavior.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I actually don't remember my exact objections now (since I only watched those 3 initial episodes), but I think it had something to do with way too much dialogue and unrealistic character behavior.

I can't stand some of the characters in the show because I feel they are unrealistic, too, but they have turned out to loco so it all made sense eventually. It's the man vs. man in the show and the gritty nature that I like about it most. No lasers and having the main characters never getting hurt or always saving the day. It's more 'realistic' than most shows and it's set it space against killer robots.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fuck. Wowzer.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't stand some of the characters in the show because I feel they are unrealistic, too, but they have turned out to loco so it all made sense eventually. It's the man vs. man in the show and the gritty nature that I like about it most. No lasers and having the main characters never getting hurt or always saving the day. It's more 'realistic' than most shows and it's set it space against killer robots.

Killer robots can do anything!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Aren't they supposed to bring back The IT Crowd?

Huh ?