Apple recalls iPhone 3G power adapters over shock risk

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday afternoon recalled the ultracompact USB power adapter for iPhone 3Gs with warnings that they might pose a hazard to owners.

The company's notice for the exchange program cautions that "certain conditions" could cause the prongs to snap off when the adapter is pulled from a wall outlet, potentially creating a shock for those who touch an exposed connection.

No injuries have been reported by users affected by the failure, and the issue affects just a "very small" number of adapters, Apple claims.

Nonetheless, the company is giving iPhone 3G owners in Canada, Japan, Mexico, the US, and a number of Latin American countries a free replacement charger regardless of whether they're likely to suffer the problem. Owners are asked to immediately stop using the old charger until they receive a replacement and to use either a direct USB connection to a computer, an older iPhone charger, or a third-party accessory to power the iPhone until the replacement arrives in the mail.

Those who bought the power adapter as a stand-alone accessory should also trade theirs in, Apple says.

The company doesn't explain what may have triggered the issue but explains that users can visually identify the new, fixed adapter through a green dot on the prong side of the device.

Replacements should be available from October 10th either online or at retail but will need a given iPhone's serial number as part of the swap.

Apple's replacement power adapter; affected models lack the green dot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    This is a shocking story.....
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

This is a shocking story.....

Har Har Har

Seriously though, how do you not pull the prongs out of the wall? The cord comes out before that happens.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Nice. A free charger! Now I'll have two!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screth View Post

Shocking.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    What's the fuss about?

Anyone who dies by breaking this adapter off and then touching the exposed contacts had it coming. Natural selection baby.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

Seriously though, how do you not pull the prongs out of the wall? The cord comes out before that happens.

I think they mean you could pull the adapter itself and the pring may break off in the wall socket.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jg_gamer View Post

What's the fuss about?

Anyone who dies by breaking this adapter off and then touching the exposed contacts had it coming. Natural selection baby.

Darwin Awards
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screth View Post

Actually, according to the Apple support page, Apple sends you a new adapter along with instructions for returning the old one.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

Actually, according to the Apple support page, Apple sends you a new adapter along with instructions for returning the old one.

Only with the web return.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It wouldn't be a recall if they didn't actually recall something
  • Reply 10 of 25
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Just noticed that the adapter is sold for $29 at Apple Store. Expensive but very handy.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:

Har Har Har

They mean if you pull it out by holding onto the plug itself, which, ever since the invention of the "plug" has been the recommended way to do it.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, after almost a hundred years of electrical appliances being plugged in and out and generation after generation of children being taught to *never* unplug anything by yanking on the cord, people like yourself still do?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

They mean if you pull it out by holding onto the plug itself, which, ever since the invention of the "plug" has been the recommended way to do it.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, after almost a hundred years of electrical appliances being plugged in and out and generation after generation of children being taught to *never* unplug anything by yanking on the cord, people like yourself still do?

Yes, People like myself still do. After a lifetime of yanking cords out from where ever the heck I want to, I have not broken one cord. Not One.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Wow!

Do you think somebody should have tested this design before it was released to the market?

Someone?

Maybe?

• Reply 14 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Yes, People like myself still do. After a lifetime of yanking cords out from where ever the heck I want to, I have not broken one cord. Not One.

Just because it generally works, doesn't mean it's a good idea. A good electrical connection isn't necessarily a good mechanical connection.

Besides, with this adapter, it doesn't work that way, the USB cord is separate. The adapter is just a block that plugs into the socket, and the user plugs in the USB to dock connector cable.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Time for Wi-Tricity device from Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    are they the same size? these are very small and easy to carry with you

hope its not some bulky brick mess
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

are they the same size? these are very small and easy to carry with you

hope its not some bulky brick mess

Yes a picture of the new one is in the article with the green dot. The item is the same size with a new tapered prong. I do not even use mine as I use a Griffin Powerdock 2 so I can charge my iPhone and iPod at the same time. BTW the new iTouch has the same charging issues as the iPhone 3G and the Powerdock 2 will charge both new devices. The nice old Bose SoundDock and most other such speaker systems will play the music from the new iTouch but not charge it. Just an FY. All that said, I will swap my original charger out at an Apple store in October.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I think the new charger is snappier.....
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

How do you return the old- if the prongs are in the wall?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grayum View Post

I think the new charger is snappier.....

But the recalled plug is the zappier.