Partitioning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I know this has been discussed a thousand times, but as I have not moved off 9.2 I don't know the answer. When I first got my tibook (Feb) it had OSX installed with 9. Since I primarily do audio work, I've had to stick with 9 and will continue to for at least ~6 months. But I would like to put 10.2 on the drive so I can play with it and start the switch. But my fears of putting it on the same drive come from problems I had with 10.0 corrupting files in 9 when I first got the tibook. I eventually needed to reinstall the OS numerous times and eventually just erased OSX from the drive.

Now my question is: do I have to put 10 on a seperate partition? I will not partition my drive since right now I have a 40 Gb drive w/ 2 Gb of space left (I have external drives that I also use, so some space can be freed). The last thing I want is to lose a chunk of drive space to something I don't use much. It would be nice to just have them on the same partition. But are there still any problems with doing it this way? Can I be sure OS9 will stay safe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Yeah, OS9 will still be safe. I have had OS9 and 10 on the same partition since I got my computer. One thing: OSX has certain system files(like Mach_Kernel) that are invisible in OSX. However, if you reboot in OS9, you will see files like this at root level of the hard drive. They will have white document icons. If you delete them OSX will not run. All you have to do if you accidently delete these files is re-run OSX's installer. It will reinstall the deleted files, without messing up everything else.