iPhoto Import (dumb) question :???:

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have only used iPhoto in the simplest of ways. Meaning I am not a power user.

Anyways, I borrowed my Uncle's digital SLR camera this weekend, and took a bunch of photos at my kid's soccer game. Unfortunately, the camera also has like 250 12mp photos already on the camera. Is there a way to only import SOME of the pictures from the camera rather than the all the pics? I know I can download all of them, and delete the ones I don't want but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JS29 View Post

I have only used iPhoto in the simplest of ways. Meaning I am not a power user.

Anyways, I borrowed my Uncle's digital SLR camera this weekend, and took a bunch of photos at my kid's soccer game. Unfortunately, the camera also has like 250 12mp photos already on the camera. Is there a way to only import SOME of the pictures from the camera rather than the all the pics? I know I can download all of them, and delete the ones I don't want but I'd rather not.

Thanks.

Sure hit the command key and click the pictures you want to import. The click the button that says "import selected pictures"
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Sure hit the command key and click the pictures you want to import. The click the button that says "import selected pictures"

The pictures on the camera do not appear in any type of preview on the Import screen (the one that comes up when you plug in a camera). Am I missing something?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

The pictures on the camera do not appear in any type of preview on the Import screen (the one that comes up when you plug in a camera). Am I missing something?

You aren't browsing the camera correctly or your mac isn't recognizing it as a local drive.

Have you tried a card reader. That's what I use and may eliminate your problems.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

You aren't browsing the camera correctly or your mac isn't recognizing it as a local drive.

Have you tried a card reader. That's what I use and may eliminate your problems.

Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Fooled around with my camera and instead of using a card reader to import into iPhoto I just plugged my camera into the computer using a USB cable. I don't know what camera you were using but my camera is a Canon EOS Rebel XTI.

Here's what happens. iPhoto opens up and the following screen appears:

Then I 'command' click the pictures I want to import giving me this screen:

Then I click the 'Import Selected' button to get the pics I want. If this isn't what you're getting when you plug your camera into your mac can you take a screen shot and post it? We might be able to figure out what's wrong that way.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Fooled around with my camera and instead of using a card reader to import into iPhoto I just plugged my camera into the computer using a USB cable. I don't know what camera you were using but my camera is a Canon EOS Rebel XTI.

Here's what happens. iPhoto opens up and the following screen appears:

Then I 'command' click the pictures I want to import giving me this screen:

Then I click the 'Import Selected' button to get the pics I want. If this isn't what you're getting when you plug your camera into your mac can you take a screen shot and post it? We might be able to figure out what's wrong that way.

I did some more digging. I am using the version of iPhoto that came with my iMac in Fall of 2007. I noticed there is an available ($79) upgrade for iLife that lists "Selectable Downloads" as one of the features of iPhoto. So my thinking is I have the limited version that doesn't allow for Selective Downloading. If you can select pictures prior to downloading, do you have the Full/Updated version of iPhoto?

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

I did some more digging. I am using the version of iPhoto that came with my iMac in Fall of 2007. I noticed there is an available ($79) upgrade for iLife that lists "Selectable Downloads" as one of the features of iPhoto. So my thinking is I have the limited version that doesn't allow for Selective Downloading. If you can select pictures prior to downloading, do you have the Full/Updated version of iPhoto?

Thanks.

Yep you're right and I'm sorry I didn't think of that.

You need iPhoto version 7 that comes in iLife 08.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Don't use the iPhoto automatic import function. Just use the finder to open the contents of the camera into a Finder window. Then select only the photos you want, and drag them onto iPhoto. iPhoto will ask you if you want to import them.