Connect360 & XBox 360

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently got an XBox 360 and wanted to stream music and movie files to my Xbox. Somebody pointed to Connect360, which works great:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/connect360

I only have a slight problem. Due to the fact that I only have 250 Gb on my iMac hard drive, I decided to keep my movie files on a 500 Gb external hard drive. With Connect360, I can't stream files from the hard drive. I tried creating aliases to both the folder and to individual files. The only files that will stream to my XBox are files residing on the iMac hard drive.

1) Folder aliases are not detected by the XBox.

2) File aliases are detected by the XBox but will not play. The error message is something along the lines of an unsupported media format (I'm not at home right now), despite the fact that a copy of the exact same file will play if it's on the iMac.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Would creating the symlink in a Unix command prompt make any difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I used iTunes to manage all of my content. I don't know if you did that also but what I would try is adding all your files into iTunes compatible format (hopefully all your files are in iTunes compatible format). Then set your iTunes library to your external drive so that your library is there. It sounds complicated but what I mean is that instead of your iTunes library being in your Home folder it is in your external drive and let Connect360 sync with iTunes. Works for me.

Hope this solves your problem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I use Rivet, perhaps you can download their trial and see if that software works better for you?

http://cynicalpeak.com/rivet/
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The XBox cannot play all the file types that your Mac can, which is probably the problem. With the last update to the dashboard, it resulted in a vastly expanded video codec library, but there's still limitations. If you head over to xbox.com they have an entry in their help section about what kinds of videos the XBox supports.

VisualHub, FFMPEGx, and the new Handbrake build (I link to it in the VisualHub thread in this subforum) all provide the tools to convert a video into a format that the XBox will support.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have no problem streaming all my media files that are stored on my 1TB External USB Drive.

You just need to tell connect360 that your files are there instead then your Imac HD.

Just go into the setting and point connect360 to your external HD.

No need to create any aliases and stuff like that.

Maxime,
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxime View Post

I have no problem streaming all my media files that are stored on my 1TB External USB Drive.

You just need to tell connect360 that your files are there instead then your Imac HD.

Just go into the setting and point connect360 to your external HD.

No need to create any aliases and stuff like that.

Maxime,

Im sorry what? How do you do that? I have been messing around with the settings all morning and I haven't found a way to do that. Also Pivet is the exact same as Connect360 except it is a little cheaper and sloppier and it works for your PS3 which I am not sure is relevant.

Any thoughts on how you would set something like this up? I have tried buying a USB to USB cable that would link up the Xbox 360 directly to the time capsule and even that doesn't work. I have also looked into Port forwarding but again I am not exactly sure how to do that.

Would love for some feedback on this, It seems to be beyond me at this point and I have been trying to think of a solution to this for weeks. I am sure if I had just bought a proper console to begin with the PS3 would have synced right up but instead I am stuck trying to configure this.

Any help would be much appreciated not only for me but I am confident for others as well who are stuck in my same position.