iPhone 3G Chargers--What Works, What Doesn't, and Why?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm having problems determining which chargers will work for the 3G iPhone. I understand that Firewire chargers will not work.

What about 12 volt chargers? I have a Griffin Transdock Micro RF transmitter that clearly has a USB cable from the transmitter, which does work (for charging, not as an RF transmitter). I bought an iPod charging cable with a powerlet connector (used on some motorcycles, similar to cigarette jack), which will NOT charge the phone.

I assume that specialty cables such as this just deal with pin connections, since they are neither Firewire or USB. Does anyone have, or know where I can get, more detailed info on what works (or doesn't work) with the iPhone 3G, and why? What specs must it meet to charge the 3G iPhone?

I'm sure Apple had their reasons for doing this, but it sure is a pain trying to figure out which accessories work (as well as costly replacing everything, and having to buy and send things back).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Another data point. Received a combination 110V, 12V Charger for MP3 Player from Meritline.com, Item code 171-127-001, that I saw listed in DealMac.com. This is a USB based device. This device will NOT charge my iPhone.