Cordless mouse purchasing advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lets say you had around $150NZD (approx. $100 USD) and you wished to purchase a cordless mouse for your MacBook. You didn't care what technology it used as long as you didn't have to plug anything in (Am I to assume this restricts me to bluetooth?), and that it can't be the tiny portable sized ones because they don't fit your hands.

What would you choose, and why?

I have done a bit of research but I'm hoping that you might point out ones that I have missed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I got the Logitech Nano. It has a small receiver that I leave in all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Logitech MX Revolution.

Best mouse ever.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I got the Logitech Nano. It has a small receiver that I leave in all the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Logitech MX Revolution.

Best mouse ever.

What happened to the 'as you didn't have to plug anything in' criteria
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Haha, I should read more.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

The receiver for the nano is tiny which i leave in all the time. So if the concern is a receiver that doesn't work well with a notebook because of size ... the Nano is a solution.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

The receiver for the nano is tiny which i leave in all the time.

It still takes up a usb port though, I think that's what he probably wants - i.e. not a laser mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Yes, sorry I should have clarified that. It's the usb ports that I want free.

Thanks for replying everyone.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It still takes up a usb port though, I think that's what he probably wants - i.e. not a laser mouse.

You get Bluetooth laser mice.

The V470 posted before is one example but IMO it doesn't look very nice:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../3287&cl=gb,en

The Microsoft bluetooth mice are cheaper and look nicer:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=099
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Yeah get this.

Apple pay attention.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You get Bluetooth laser mice.

The V470 posted before is one example but IMO it doesn't look very nice:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi.../3287&cl=gb,en

So I went with the MS laser 8000 I found a few reports of some buttons not working (software issue) floating round which I was a little worried about but everything work as advertised & I'm quite happy with it, I found the others a little small for my hand.

It's aluminium so I guess it would look nice if you had a MBP as well.

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Nick.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    You may want to check out USB Overdrive software
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifesavernick View Post

So I went with the MS laser 8000 I found a few reports of some buttons not working (software issue) floating round which I was a little worried about but everything work as advertised & I'm quite happy with it, I found the others a little small for my hand.

Good choice, the charging pad is pretty cool. As mentioned, USB Overdrive can customize some functions if you need the buttons changed or you can try controllerMate:

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

It can program all sorts of keys and functions and do quite complex stuff but it takes a bit of getting used to.

Microsoft have their own intellipoint software but it's not compatible with all their mice.

I wish Apple would leave their configuration panels on for all input devices. The mouse-button config only shows up if you have a Mighty Mouse plugged in and yet when you plug in another mouse, it will use the button config you set. To change it, you have to plug a Mighty Mouse back in. I guess leaving it on implies they have to offer support if it doesn't work correctly but it's worked on every mouse I've tried.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    All cordless mouse sucks...

The required batteries, the extra weight, the slow respond time (they DO lag conciderably)

Its just not worth it. Get a lasermouse with a cord.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

All cordless mouse sucks...

The required batteries, the extra weight, the slow respond time (they DO lag conciderably)

Its just not worth it. Get a lasermouse with a cord.

If you mean the Apple ones yes. They use two AAs. The one above uses one rechargeable AA battery and the notebook mice use two AAAs. The extra weight isn't noticeable and it actually helps give the mouse a little momentum.

There is no lag in any of the wireless mice I've used other than the original wireless Apple mouse. I'm not a fan of wireless devices in general but the Logitech and Microsoft wireless mice I've used have been fine.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    jimdkcjimdkc Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you mean the Apple ones yes. They use two AAs.

The Apple ones will work on a single AA. The batteries are actually in parallel. (The mouse still sucks though!)

I'd definitely get a Logitech over a Microsoft! I've had nothing but trouble with Microsoft Mice!