Help! Partitioned External HDD and lost data

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey, I partitioned my external harddrive to cut a piece to use for time machine... But I didn't know by doing that it would erase everything on the harddrive! Is there a way to get it back? I don't think it erased anything because it took less than a minute to partition, there's not way that it erased all the data that fast.

Is there a way to get it back?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock View Post

Hey, I partitioned my external harddrive to cut a piece to use for time machine... But I didn't know by doing that it would erase everything on the harddrive! Is there a way to get it back? I don't think it erased anything because it took less than a minute to partition, there's not way that it erased all the data that fast.

Is there a way to get it back?

I'm afraid the news is pretty much all bad. If you can get it back it'll probably cost you big $s. You would have been given a warning that partitioning the disk would wipe all your data. Unfortunately, it seems you didn't read it.

Sorry. I won't make it worse. I know you don't need it but hey........
  • Reply 2 of 3
    blascockblascock Posts: 153member
    Damn that really sucks. And now I just made it even worse for myself. In search for a program to recover my data I found one that can partition a drive without having to reformat it!

What I don't get is how it just deleted it so fast, like less than a minute. I had 350gb of data on that thing, it would have taken forever to delete that
  • Reply 3 of 3
    In my experience, erasing a hdd is a pretty zippy operation. Writing zeros to the disk takes forever but a straight erase is usually only a few seconds. You'd have to ask someone with more technical knowledge why that's the case.

If you don't get anymore replies, it might be worth PMing one of the real geniuses to check if there is anything else you can do or if a data recovery program could help you. Try somebody like Kickaha, chucker or lundy.

Without wanting to make you feel worse but because I've been given the lecture by people here myself and it's a lesson worth learning, you wouldn't have a problem if you had all your stuff backed up like you should have in the first place. After all, a hdd can give up the ghost without warning any old tick of the clock.