Address window

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Safari address window disappeared, and I haven't been able to bring it back. I tried force quit, rebooting, and a few other things, but noooooo. It went bye bye. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

The Safari address window disappeared, and I haven't been able to bring it back. I tried force quit, rebooting, and a few other things, but noooooo. It went bye bye. Any suggestions?

Do you mean the address bar at the top used to enter web URLs?

The only thing I can think of is that a toolbar has been deselected in the VIEW menu, or that if you're on a Mac, you managed to hit the little losenge button on the top right to hide the toolbar.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah, go to the menubar and hit View > Show Toolbar.

Either that or go to View > Customize Toolbar, and drag in Address and Search box back onto the toolbar.

Your Mighty Mouse is to blame. And you're welcome.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazokajoe_2k View Post

Do you mean the address bar at the top used to enter web URLs?

The only thing I can think of is that a toolbar has been deselected in the VIEW menu, or that if you're on a Mac, you managed to hit the little losenge button on the top right to hide the toolbar.

Yes, the address bar at the top used to enter URLs. I don't see the lozenge button on the Safari top edge. However, your suggestion re: the View Menu was the answer. Under 'Customize', I had only to drag the address window (symbol) to the top of the top and it worked. I have no idea how it got lost in the first place. I was trying to drag a URL to a MacMail 'New Message' when the window disappeared.

I always feel embarrassed when I ask for help and it's something I should have known to try.

I'm glad there are AI members like you to come to the rescue.

Thanks.

Update: Ireland, I didn't see your post until after I posted the above message. Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur

However, your suggestion re: the View Menu was the answer. Under 'Customize', I had only to drag the address window (symbol) to the top of the top and it worked. I have no idea how it got lost in the first place.

I know exactly how it happened. Do you have right click enabled on your mouse? Do others use the computer, kids?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur

Update: Ireland, I didn't see your post until after I posted the above message. Thanks anyway.

Ah, you're welcome.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    [QUOTE=Ireland;1317976]I know exactly how it happened. Do you have right click enabled on your mouse? Do others use the computer, kids?

Yes, the right click is enabled. I'm the only one who uses this computer; however, my Logitech Revolution mouse HAS been acting strangely lately, For example, I'll be moving the cursor when suddenly, it will slowly drop down to the dock (which opens). This has occurred even when the battery is new. It's weird. Almost like someone else is using the mouse. Poltergeists? Another example - I'll be moving the cursor when it just disappears. I'll move the mouse all around the screen and finally find the cursor in some place I didn't put it - like on the second monitor. It seems to have a mind of its own.

BTW, I don't believe in the supernatural. I was joking about poltergeists.

Most of the time, though, I love this (laptop) mouse. It's been the best one (more than 1/2 a dozen including several Mac mice) that I've used in the past.

Possibly, the problem is an app problem, but it only happens when I'm using the mouse. Hey, I just heard the 'Twilight Zone' music!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE=sequitur;1317986]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I know exactly how it happened. Do you have right click enabled on your mouse? Do others use the computer, kids?

Yes, the right click is enabled. I'm the only one who uses this computer; however, my Logitech Revolution mouse HAS been acting strangely lately, For example, I'll be moving the cursor when suddenly, it will slowly drop down to the dock (which opens). This has occurred even when the battery is new. It's weird. Almost like someone else is using the mouse. Poltergeists? Another example - I'll be moving the cursor when it just disappears. I'll move the mouse all around the screen and finally find the cursor in some place I didn't put it - like on the second monitor. It seems to have a mind of its own.

BTW, I don't believe in the supernatural. I was joking about poltergeists.

Most of the time, though, I love this (laptop) mouse. It's been the best one (more than 1/2 a dozen including several Mac mice) that I've used in the past.

Possibly, the problem is an app problem, but it only happens when I'm using the mouse. Hey, I just heard the 'Twilight Zone' music!

Sometimes, dirt can cause problems like that, even if it's a laser mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [QUOTE=melgross;1320559]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Sometimes, dirt can cause problems like that, even if it's a laser mouse.

I cleaned the laser port, pulled out the USB key and put it back in, and re-established the link between the mouse and the USB key. It appears to be working okay, now. Unfortunately, I didn't think to do those one at a time, so I don't know which one (or all) did the trick.

Thanks Mel.