iPhone 3G replacement adapters arriving

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Replacement power adapters for the iPhone 3G have started to arrive for customers who elected to exchange the parts via the mail.

"I received mine yesterday. *It came in the usual AppleCare style with a return label for you to include the old one via DHL," said one AppleInsider reader. "The main difference between the old one and the new one is the presence of the green dot and the prongs are tapered at the end. This does not seem to affect the fit of the adapter in the wall outlet as I tested mine and both seemed to have about the same amount of tension on them when plugged in."

Apple last month recalled the ultracompact USB power adapters that ship alongside the iPhone 3G, warning that they might pose a hazard to owners. Specifically, the company said "certain conditions" could cause the prongs to snap off when the adapter is pulled from a wall outlet, potentially creating a shock for those who touch an exposed connection.

iPhone 3G users can order their free replacement adapter via Apple's website or simply swap their old adapter at an Apple retail store beginning this Friday.