Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I really do not follow the analogy comparing Woz to Bill Clinton. Clearly, Bill Clinton 1) had to be nice to Obama (a fellow democrat), and 2) still had to talk bad about Obama because he was trying to get his wife elected. Who knows what motivates Woz.

More like Roger Clinton to Bill Clinton. Or Billy Carter to Jimmy Carter.
  • Reply 102 of 145
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What's stop the man from writing for the Desktop World?

I'll tell you what? He lacks the software skills for such high level develop to pull it off. He never had them and its clear ever since the days he designed computer hardware. He's not a software engineer. He was a hardware engineer.

Well, he wrote Apple Integer BASIC on paper without a working machine or assembler... counts for something...
  • Reply 103 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Well, he wrote Apple Integer BASIC on paper without a working machine or assembler... counts for something...

It's great that he could do that. But that's incredibly low level programming, completely the opposite of the high level, abstracted software coding that goes into creating apps today.
  • Reply 104 of 145
    iPod can't be dead yet, they just introduced shaking! (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L4CgfZUd2o)
  • Reply 105 of 145
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    hey, Woz is cool, like an arthritic Carebear.

The difference with the iPod compared to the 'Walkman' for example is that the walkman had no where near the change that the iPod has gone through and for this simple reason his analogy is flawed. He is very much out of touch.

Why even mention Android either? It is more a competitor to Winmo than the iPhone.

Woz is bitter and pissed that he dropped off of the Apple tree 20 years before Apple hit the big time. Poor bitter old man.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The difference with the iPod compared to the 'Walkman' for example is that the walkman had no where near the change that the iPod has gone through and for this simple reason his analogy is flawed. He is very much out of touch.

The Sony did try to push the Walkman on the CD and then to digital PMP, but the formats were too different in the way you have to use the media and the sizes probably too extreme for a natural transition. Woz seems to be forgetting that the iPod has already made the transition from HDD to Flash. Everything else stated the same expect the device got smaller and lasted longer. And for the Mini to Nano the capacity was able to grow past a 6GB HDD.

The only thing that looks to be a threat to the standard iPod model is natural fusion with a cellphone, but I don't his comment was referring to that natural transition.
  • Reply 107 of 145
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Sony did try to push the Walkman on the CD and then to digital PMP, but the formats were too different in the way you have to use the media and the sizes probably too extreme for a natural transition. Woz seems to be forgetting that the iPod has already made the transition from HDD to Flash. Everything else stated the same expect the device got smaller and lasted longer. And for the Mini to Nano the capacity was able to grow past a 6GB HDD.

The only thing that looks to be a threat to the standard iPod model is natural fusion with a cellphone, but I don't his comment was referring to that natural transition.

The iPod has not changed the format or tried to push a change of format.

The format is DIGITALLY STORED MUSIC. There has been NO change to the format.

The iPod and other digital playback devices will, at least for a long time to come, be relevant as cellphones incur additional costs and also general battery life issues compared to dedicated devices.

PLUS, Apple have made inroads to converged media / cellphone devices already. Maybe you have head of the iPhone??
  • Reply 108 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The format is DIGITALLY STORED MUSIC. There has been NO change to the format.

I'm referring to a physical URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_format"]media format[/URL], which should have been obvious to the reader since I clearly mentioned Tape, CD, HDD, and Flash. This change in PHYSICAL MEDIA FORMATS has allowed Apple to advance their platform without having to buy new music because the RECORDING FORMATS haven't changed, and if they do a simple codec addition is all that is needed. The point is that this makes the current PMPs much more future-forward than PMPs of the past.

Quote:

PLUS, Apple have made inroads to converged media / cellphone devices already. Maybe you have head of the iPhone??

I just mentioned the natural fusion of the iPod into a cellphone is the only way the iPod model will dwindle so why would you think that I am not aware of the iPhone. This is/will happen across the board as other cellphone vendors go the same route, so i specifically didn't mention the iPhone as this is an industry wide transition, not one that only Apple is privy to.
  • Reply 109 of 145
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Sure, as a music player, many many people do have a flavor of iPod. But the market is wide open again for the Touch/iPhone platform. Getting a Touch in everyone's hands will send a lot more business Apple's way than music ever did.

Exactly!

Woz is a has-been. I don't mean that disrespectfully either. He's just isn't with a hip, happening, or cutting edge company to make these kinds of comments. I respect someone from Microsoft making these statements more than I do Woz. Sony or Dell even.

Tell me what consumer hot-selling product Woz has brought to the world in the last 2 decades? Name one.
  • Reply 110 of 145
    The iPod will be just fine in the foreseeable future, as it moves completely to solid-state memory. However, once Apple reaches its limit on how small it can be, and once memory capacities are high enough for most users, the iPod will need to change dramatically because every consumer on the planet will already own several of them.

Apple needs to give people reason to "upgrade" their iPods every few years. People can't drive the same cars forever and eventually have to get new ones, but the way that Apple is churning out 4 new iPods every year, the market just cannot bear them all.
  • Reply 111 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Exactly!

Woz is a has-been. I don't mean that disrespectfully either. He's just isn't with a hip, happening, or cutting edge company to make these kinds of comments. I respect someone from Microsoft making these statements more than I do Woz. Sony or Dell even.

Tell me what consumer hot-selling product Woz has brought to the world in the last 2 decades? Name one.

Doesn't that kind of talk really make all of us here a bunch of never-were? He was probably on an unrealistic pedastal years ago, but still, he's probably accomplished more in his life than all or most of us combined, even if the most notable of that work was three decades ago.

I'm getting the feeling that all we are doing here boils down to something akin to a "my hero is better than your hero" or "my daddy is better than your daddy" kind of argument when probably none of us really will ever live up to that standard.
  • Reply 112 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

However, once Apple reaches its limit on how small it can be, and once memory capacities are high enough for most users, the iPod will need to change dramatically because every consumer on the planet will already own several of them.

How much space is enough? I bought my first 1TB drive in 2008. Now I have 4x1TB drives, not including storage in my computers... and that is 75% full. I think we'll start to store larger files on your devices. The iPod Touch and iPhone can play DVD resolution movies with the CPU intensive H.264 video format. How long before we'll want to store and play 720p video on these handheld devices?
  • Reply 113 of 145
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're all debating a guy who dates Kathy Griffin?

That ended long ago, she dumped him.
  • Reply 114 of 145
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

... but still, he's probably accomplished more in his life than all or most of us combined, even if the most notable of that work was three decades ago.

Can't argue with that. I'd have thought that goes without saying though. Still, he subjects himself to this kind of scrutiny when he makes semi-provocative comments.

Where there's smoke there's fire. Based on the number of people in this thread who seem annoyed by Woz I think it's fair to say he might be a provocateur.

That's my word of the day.
  • Reply 115 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Next, Woz equates Apple with a religion that does not allow it's followers to challenge it. This is why Woz is Woz and Jobs is Jobs. Woz was a great inventor...Jobs is a great businessman. Woz doesn't understand business(ever hear of CL 9 or Wheels of Zeus?). Apple is not a religion it is a corporation in the business of making money. The only business Woz is good at is being curmudgeon and that ain't paying to well.

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter. Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

That's just one example. Just take a look at any article that disparages Apple in any way. What I like to call the "Apple Defense Force" quickly comes to the rescue for Apple and Jobs, attacking anyone who dares speak ill of Apple. Then there's the Roughly Drafted website; if the "Apple Defense Force" had a home page, this would be it. I can't say anything kind about that site because it's either (a) an Apple sponsored propaganda site or (b) the author is so blinded by loyalty to Apple that he refuses to see anything negative about Apple. Of course, I say this knowing full well that a lot of his crap has spilled over onto this site over the last year.
  • Reply 116 of 145
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I'm sorry, but fuck Woz. I'm sick of hearing this fatass' bullshit.
  • Reply 117 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter.

To be a religion I think there has to be a superhuman controlling power. Does anyone see Jobs as a Messiah? Is Cupertino a holy place? Who would Woz represent? How about Gates?

Quote:

Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

There were plenty of sites that were presenting it as an anti-Apple campaign by the EU, so teh defense is partially warranted, even though the iPhone's battery is easily changed by the removal of two screws. Beyond that, i am not sure that the plan will help the environment. From my perspective, people take the easiest route and throwing away a small battery in the trash will not change because it's easier to access, but we'll have to see how this proposal shapes up before we can really be sure it will work, but it looks like better education and disposal bins for electronics would be the best move at this point.
  • Reply 118 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but you only have to look at comments on these forums to see that Apple has a "following" whether you want to equate it as a religion or just overly loyal fans, it really doesn't matter. Just take a look at the comments from yesterday's article about the EU directive concerning batteries that might require Apple to redesign the iPod and/or iPhone. People were attacking the EU left and right despite the fact that the directive was designed to help protect the environment, but you would have thought from the comments that the EU was directly attacking Apple.

That's just one example. Just take a look at any article that disparages Apple in any way. What I like to call the "Apple Defense Force" quickly comes to the rescue for Apple and Jobs, attacking anyone who dares speak ill of Apple. Then there's the Roughly Drafted website; if the "Apple Defense Force" had a home page, this would be it. I can't say anything kind about that site because it's either (a) an Apple sponsored propaganda site or (b) the author is so blinded by loyalty to Apple that he refuses to see anything negative about Apple. Of course, I say this knowing full well that a lot of his crap has spilled over onto this site over the last year.

Not all of us are making statements here just to defend Apple. Is just that Woz, well, what has he really done lately? He's more of a PR hack for himself nowadays. A lot of us are sick of his nonsense. He's a waste of space, physical, blog-wise, news-wise or otherwise.
  • Reply 119 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm sorry, but fuck Woz. I'm sick of hearing this fatass' bullshit.

Wilco, stop using Nivida'a username!

That is a pretty strong stance. I can't deny his grand contributions in starting the personal computer revolution, but he hasn't done himself any favours by making these small world comments about the future of technology.
  • Reply 120 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To be a religion I think there has to be a superhuman controlling power. Does anyone see Jobs as a Messiah? Is Cupertino a holy place? Who would Woz represent? How about Gates?

There were plenty of sites that were presenting it as an anti-Apple campaign by the EU, so teh defense is partially warranted, even though the iPhone's battery is easily changed by the removal of two screws. Beyond that, i am not sure that the plan will help the environment. From my perspective, people take the easiest route and throwing away a small battery in the trash will not change because it's easier to access, but we'll have to see how this proposal shapes up before we can really be sure it will work, but it looks like better education and disposal bins for electronics would be the best move at this point.

Agreed. Honestly, if I cared about the environment (and I still kinda do...), I would rather Apple dispose of the old batteries than Joe Sixpack or Soccer Mom. Or the kid in a 3rd world country trying to sell it for scrap. I think the EU most of the time has a good long-term view of things. The EU and Apple are not "enemies", both have more in common than one might think. It's just difficult for Apple to comply a lot with the EU since it has such a strong base in the US. The EU has a tough time making US, China, etc. companies comply so it has to play hard ball. This is not a jihad of any kind, on either side, unless people want to spin it that way themselves and play the "Apple Cult" card.