Apple co-founder believes iPod has about run its course

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From to 2.0 to 2.1 my Safari keyboard slows down and often crashes or freezes for long periods. These are issues I didn't have with 1.x. There are other issues with 2.x that I didn't have with 1.x, but they are more intermittent and less annoying to deal with.

He has a great engineering mind. He shouldn't be neutered... but a Laryngectomy might be something to consider.

Tesla had a great engineering mind. He didn't leave it at the door after his first breakthrough.

Perhaps Woz's electronic's mind was just that, a one-hit wonder?

No offense, but the term, ``greatness'' should be reserved for true pioneers of Science, not people who create a hobby item that without their partner never would have been produced.

Yes. Steve Jobs did the legwork and yes former HP investors put up the capital; and yes Steve Wozniak gave us the US Festival while losing millions in the process.

For a "great engineer" Wozniak is devoid of the ability to create a great team of engineers to change an industry and spark innovation.

That visionary mind is Steven P. Jobs.
  • Reply 142 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

...will be like previous great Apple consumer products:

1) It will be something that already exists, like the MP3 player (before the iPod) or the cell phone (before the iPhone).

Interesting thought.

So like the home computer/Apple2e (before the Mac), or the ???? (before the Newton) too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

2) It will be something that has not been done terribly well form the POV of an average consumer (like the cell phone and MP3 player).

3) It will be something with previously demonstrated, enormous potential. (Before MP3 players there was the ubiquitous Walkman, and most everyone has or has access to a phone.)

Why invent, when there is so much to REinvent?

Oh, I think there are some significant new possibilities too.

But yes... there are also re-inventions.....
  • Reply 143 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Tesla had a great engineering mind. He didn't leave it at the door after his first breakthrough.

Perhaps Woz's electronic's mind was just that, a one-hit wonder?

No offense, but the term, ``greatness'' should be reserved for true pioneers of Science, not people who create a hobby item that without their partner never would have been produced.

Yes. Steve Jobs did the legwork and yes former HP investors put up the capital; and yes Steve Wozniak gave us the US Festival while losing millions in the process.

For a "great engineer" Wozniak is devoid of the ability to create a great team of engineers to change an industry and spark innovation.

That visionary mind is Steven P. Jobs.

Funny you should mention Tesla, the work he did after leaving Westinghouse didn't get much uptake either. The outlines of their lives were not that different in this respect.

Jobs does the business skills, Woz not having the business skills doesn't mean he wasn't a great engineer afterwards, it just meant that he wasn't a great businessman and didn't have any around him.
  • Reply 144 of 145
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

One word. ATRAC3. What I consider to be Sony's biggest mistake next to Betamax.

The Beta format did not work in the consumer market. But it became the standard video format in professional video production called Betacam.

Betacam and later Digital Betacam reinged as the supreme videotape production formats for 20 years. They are still used and have only recently in the past couple of years being replaced by High Definition formats.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    And for my next act I shall predict the weather IT SHALL RAIN SOMETIME THIS YEAR.

Woz try a little harder next time.