BlackBerry Storm debuts with app store, Mac suite on the way

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Research in Motion has launched its very first touchscreen smartphone -- and promises to shadow Apple's iTunes App Store while also providing an official utility to sync its phones with Macs.

Also known as the 9500, the BlackBerry Storm as revealed by Vodafone UK is the Canadian cellphone maker's first opportunity to answer Apple's touchscreen hardware and contains what could be considered a laundry list of improvements to the iPhone.

Besides including BlackBerry push email, the handset includes a 3.2-megapixel camera with autofocus and flash, a screen with "click" feedback to simulate button touches, and removables that include a battery as well as up to a 16GB memory card.

The European version destined for Vodafone supports only GSM and HSDPA-based 3G data, but a version from Verizon is known to be in the works with both this networking and the CDMA plus the EVDO-based 3G necessary for its own service.

Separately, RIM is also known to be solving a number of software problems associated with earlier rivals as well as the iPhone, albeit using an only partly modified version of the BlackBerry OS: owners will have the option to copy and paste text, for example, and have access to a full HTML browser closer to that of the iPhone.

While pricing and exact launch times are still to be set outside of a widely rumored November introduction window, the phone is already regarded as the first real hopes of both Verizon and Vodafone to draw attention lost to Apple's devices and its partners AT&T and O2. In one case, Verizon is known to have drafted counter-iPhone arguments for questions the company is certain will be asked in-store.

The Storm also signals the beginning of a larger-scale policy change towards app support at RIM. A late leak from CrackBerry appears to reveal the smartphone maker to be developing its own hub for third-party software, dubbed the Application Center. Much like the App Store for iPhones or Google's Android Market, the service will present a consistent interface and location for downloading outside software. The new BlackBerry's offering isn't understood to be independent, however: the alleged slip points to carriers selectively filtering which apps are visible in the portal to guard against offensive or simply unprofitable apps.

BlackBerry Storm and its App Center. | Image credits: CrackBerry.

This software isn't yet known to be available on launch and may appear later.

And while Mac owners may not necessarily fall in favor of the Storm upon its arrival, those that do will have a way of loading their devices with music without having to use a third-party suite or to boot into Windows, Boy Genius Report says in a sneak peek of RIM's previously announced BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac.

Similar to an iPhone, Media Sync will let users choose to sync all or only some playlists, and will give a certain amount of control over storage. Owners pick whether to load music to built-in memory or an add-in card, and have an iPod shuffle-style ability to reserve a certain minimum of free memory on their BlackBerries for more essential info.

BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac. | Image credits: Boy Genius Report.

In at least its rough form, however, Media Sync doesn't offer much else. There is currently no contact, photo or video sync, leaving those who want more out in the cold -- though BGR anticipates some or all of these features returning by the time a finished product is available.

The move is a rare gesture for RIM, which has often supplied a copy of PocketMac as a stopgap but has so far reserved its software efforts for the Windows users that form the core of its business.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Wow, you would think that RIM would actually fix their server app before launching an app store. The most fundamental thing that is losing them business is the piss poor corporate server software not the lack of apps.

Dullards

Not to mention that the handset looks like crap. Has no touch screen but features a PUSH screen (e.g. inaccurate without a stylus)

This handset will not save RIM. We have already helped 3 of our larger customers make the transition to iPhone and Exchange server (almost 850 handsets in total) over the past 3 months alone. These clients have all dropped blackberry server in favour of exchange and iPhone. (One other client has taken iPhone (52 of them) and Kerio mailserver instead of exchange to save some dosh on the server costs)
  • Reply 2 of 63
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Wow, you would think that RIM would actually fix their server app before launching an app store. The most fundamental thing that is losing them business is the piss poor corporate server software not the lack of apps.

Dullards

Not to mention that the handset looks like crap. Has no touch screen but features a PUSH screen (e.g. inaccurate without a stylus)

This handset will not save RIM. We have already helped 3 of our larger customers make the transition to iPhone and Exchange server (almost 850 handsets in total) over the past 3 months alone. These clients have all dropped blackberry server in favour of exchange and iPhone. (One other client has taken iPhone (52 of them) and Kerio mailserver instead of exchange to save some dosh on the server costs)

That is the biggest piece of Apple Fanboi FUD I have read in a very long time. Thanks, I needed that.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

That is the biggest piece of Apple Fanboi FUD I have read in a very long time. Thanks, I needed that.

I disagree - that handset does look pretty crappy. The normal blackberry has a full keyboard, so the fact that it looks like crap compared to the iPhone does not matter for some people - but this phone does not have that advantage, so nobody will want it over the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Has no touch screen but features a PUSH screen (e.g. inaccurate without a stylus) ... This handset will not save RIM.

It's too bad for competition that others can't use the capacitance touchscreen. The iPhone's input method does appear to be vastly superior to other vendor options available at this point for the non-techy, non-business smartphone user which looks to be gaining considerable ground.

Quote:

We have already helped 3 of our larger customers make the transition to iPhone and Exchange server (almost 850 handsets in total) over the past 3 months alone. These clients have all dropped blackberry server in favour of exchange and iPhone. (One other client has taken iPhone (52 of them) and Kerio mailserver instead of exchange to save some dosh on the server costs)

I think this will be a trend which will lead RiM to lower its server-side HW and licensing prices drastically. I don't think it's so much because of the iPhone, but because the businesses are cutting back and the Blackberry is neither the cheapest solution up-front or for the TOC. I see WinMo devices also gaining marketshare in the next year because of this US economic trend. Symbian in the EU I have no comment on, but this could make the Symbian a little more popular in US businesses.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I like how suddenly every software developer and hardware maker are becoming aware that there is another OS other than Windows called Mac OS. In my opinion, this a great achievement by Apple, Apple fans sites, and Mac users

I think the problem is not with the phone. I think the problem is with RIM image being business oriented the same way Apple having problem being consumer oriented.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I disagree - that handset does look pretty crappy. The normal blackberry has a full keyboard, so the fact that it looks like crap compared to the iPhone does not matter for some people - but this phone does not have that advantage, so nobody will want it over the iPhone.

Looks?? It's not thin enough???

It's got a removeable battery, memory card, 3.2 mp camera- most likely records video- everything iPhone lacks and what others who haven't bought it want. Of course it depends on how it's reviewed by tech critics.

I wouldn't simply dismiss something that's not yet released. But so far some of those features seem pretty desirable IMO.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's too bad for competition that others can't use the capacitance touchscreen.

Is a capacitance screen really locked away by patents and such?
  • Reply 8 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is a capacitance screen really locked away by patents and such?

To that question I have no idea, but Apple did buy FingerWorks in 2006, and no one else in 21 months since the iPhone was announced has used a capacitance touchscreen in their touchscreen PMP, MID or cellphone.

I've checked out all the new touchscreen devices that are available to me in the US and they all pale in comparison to the iPhone's input method. One could argue that is all the iPhone really has going for it in relation to HW, but that input method is a big deal, IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    No WiFi on this so called smartphone. That's just ridiculous.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I wouldn't simply dismiss something that's not yet released. But so far some of those features seem pretty desirable IMO.

Just look at the screenshots - the Zune also has a lot of features, look how well it did in the market.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Just look at the screenshots - the Zune also has a lot of features, look how well it did in the market.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/1...ref=newssearch
  • Reply 12 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That app doesn't have a whole lot of attention to detail, the main thing it provides is good contrast. The black text on medium-light gray background (even medium-dark gray on medium-light gray) isn't as much contrast as I would like for reading text on the iPhone app store.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    This device may have several features beyond those of the iPhone, but the one thing it lacks is ELEGANCE! Which means that it will likely lack the viral word-of-mouth excitement surrounding the iPhone. Nobody will look at an iPhone user, pull out this device and say "You won't believe this. Just wait. Looky here at what this baby can do!"

Most people will still carry this because it's mandated by their company. Not by choice. And with RIM framing their innovation as an answer to the iPhone, they are by default placing themselves in the #2 position.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    teckstud . . . The iPhone DOES, indeed, have a few "inadequacies" that the vaporware Storm device SEEMS to possess. However, the other side of your observational coin posits that the Storm does, indeed, have a few inadequacies that the iPhone possesses! How about an incomparable OS that the average person can actually understand and use? How about wi-fi? How about touch-screen patents that RIM may (or, of course, may not) have violated since they have come to this party SO DAMNED LATE?

How about originality of design and execution? How about Steve Jobs? In your wildest fantasies would you put Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis in the same ballpark as SJ? Dream on if you do.

iPhone development is innovative, vibrant, unique, and continuous. No matter what momentary advantage RIM may garner from the vaporware Storm (is it out yet?), the iPhone will trump it in the long run. It's what Apple does.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    exileexile Posts: 1member
    I just looked on the Vodafone site and it states that the Storm uses SureType in portrait or a full QWERTY in landscape. And one of the pictures which shows the keyboard in Portrait only has 14 keys for the alphabet - is this a Blackberry standard ? Surely if your going to have a virtual keyboard there would be one key per letter, or am I missing something ?
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:

That article says nothing about market share. Zune market share is 11.3% of hard drive MP3 players, and that means that it is only competing against the iPod classic (since the other iPods are flash based). Also, your article says "IPod better for most users" down at the bottom.

Gamestop dropped the Zune due to crappy sales.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    If I were Apple, I'd be worried about it. If anything, RIM has great backing in corporate IT departments USA wide, while Apple is viewed as anti-corporate. People continue with what they are used to and I'm not surprised that RIM is finding success in the consumer market due to all the exposure in the corporate market. That's a lot of leverage and branding power. With this type of advantage, the Storm doesn't have to be a better device than the iPhone, it just has to be good enough.

If it proves good enough, watch out Apple. This really means Apple has to accelerate or increase its push into IT departments and CIO mindshare, with better PIM (email, calendar, contacts) integration, better Exchange Server integration, more security features, all the stuff the corporate IT wants. Integrating MS Exchange server compatibility with Snow Leopard is the first real sign to me that Apple is going to make a push into the business world. Hopefully the iPhone OS X will get a similar push.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I hope it does not require the user to delete their apps and loose their data before they can upgrade them to a newer version.

When will they ever fix that stupid problem with the iPhone, it worked perfectly in 2.0, I have over 7 apps that need updating but I can't do it because I'll loose my scores or data, again!
  • Reply 19 of 63
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I hope it does not require the user to delete their apps and loose their data before they can upgrade them to a newer version.

When will they ever fix that stupid problem with the iPhone, it worked perfectly in 2.0, I have over 7 apps that need updating but I can't do it because I'll loose my scores or data, again!

I've never lost data or scores in an app update. Maybe there's a problem in specific apps (which those devs, not Apple, must fix)? For instance, I've heard people used to lose their Platinum Sudoku progress with past updates. But I've only gotten one update--their latest--and didn't lose progress, so maybe Gameloft fixed it.

Which apps have you experienced data loss in?

(P.S. There was an article posted in the past few weeks about how Apple doesn't allow 3rd-party app data to be backed up. This was completely false, and the author even apologized later.)
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

If I were Apple, I'd be worried about it. If anything, RIM has great backing in corporate IT departments USA wide, while Apple is viewed as anti-corporate. People continue with what they are used to and I'm not surprised that RIM is finding success in the consumer market due to all the exposure in the corporate market. That's a lot of leverage and branding power. With this type of advantage, the Storm doesn't have to be a better device than the iPhone, it just has to be good enough.

If it proves good enough, watch out Apple. This really means Apple has to accelerate or increase its push into IT departments and CIO mindshare, with better PIM (email, calendar, contacts) integration, better Exchange Server integration, more security features, all the stuff the corporate IT wants. Integrating MS Exchange server compatibility with Snow Leopard is the first real sign to me that Apple is going to make a push into the business world. Hopefully the iPhone OS X will get a similar push.

CIO = Career is over.