MindWave for iPhone (a brainwave entrainment app)

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Jakub Koter has released MindWave ($1.99, App Store), a brainwave entrainment app for the iPhone that employs binaural beats. Have no idea what I'm talking about? Read on.

Binaural beats are stereo noises that pump two slightly different frequencies into each ear. The difference between these two tones produces a unique phenomenon in the mind that creates the sensation of a beating sound in your head. This combined with the frequencies then begins to entrain the brainwaves in your head - making your brainwaves follow the frequency of the beat you're hearing.

It's been discovered that the brain has all kinds of different frequencies for different tasks - Alpha frequencies are for inner concentration, whereas Beta usually occurs when you're dealing with people and things around you. On the other side, Delta frequencies occur in deep, unconscious sleep and Theta occurs when we dream or meditate.

By mixing these tones it is supposedly possible to create different effects on the mind, and that is what MindWave sets out to do.

The app is the first example of a brainwave generator for the iPhone that I know of - though it may sound similar to apps like Ambiance. The noises it provides are designed to affect your state of mind in a far more direct way. MindWave includes 10 different binaural beats bearing names such as "Study Aid", "Sleep Induction", "Creativity Boost" and "Weight Loss" (note: I remain somewhat sceptical in regards to this). The developer promises new presets every month as well.

Binaural beats are a fascinating example of some of the strange stuff our brain does in certain situations - and this app makes a nice introduction to the newcomer. For those of you who'd like to try it out first on your computer (for free) try sbagen.