NVIDIA platform claimed likely for new MacBook line

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Stoking the fires just days before Apple revamps its portable line, the origin of a previous claim now believes NVIDIA's mainboard and discrete chipsets will form the backbone of the MacBook range update.

Where he had previously focused on an educated guess as to what Apple would use for its next notebook upgrade, PC Perspective's Ryan Shrout now claims to be certain that NVIDIA's MCP79 chipset in its various forms will represent the basis of any new MacBooks to be introduced next week.

The writer doesn't directly cite the contacts he claims to have but is confident that Apple will use NVIDIA's full-size notebook platform, the MCP79MX, for both the standard MacBook and at least a 15-inch MacBook Pro. As with the current lineup, the 13-inch MacBook would use integrated graphics but would use the GeForce 9300M or 9400M built into the chipset; either of these are believed to significantly outperform Intel's current GMA series architecture. MacBook Pros would include a distinct graphics processor from the GeForce 9600M series.

For the MacBook Air, Apple will supposedly use a very low-power version of the mainboard components, the MCP79U, to keep power low at the expense of a slight dip in video performance.

Shrout supports his assertions by highlighting NVIDIA's launch plans. The chip designer has not only kept silent on MCP79 -- an exception for a company normally vocal about its technology -- but has recently been forced to confirm that it will unveil the finished product on October 15th, a day after Apple's planned MacBook event.

Likewise, NVIDIA's graphics technology is also being marketed in areas that favor Apple: the GeForce 9-series is considered ideal for Apple's proposed OpenCL general computing standard and has been sold as a means of accelerating certain tasks in Adobe's new CS4 suite.

However, Shrout partly calls into question his analysis by pointing to a graphic on NVIDIA's website that appears to resemble an unfamiliar MacBook; the image has been present on NVIDIA's site for months as an abstract representation of the company's mobile graphics.

Even if over-eager to prove his case, the journalist's arguments provide incidental support to news first broken by AppleInsider in the summer, when it was learned that Apple would likely use a non-reference platform for its upcoming round of MacBook models. At the time, NVIDIA was suggested as one possible candidate to replace Intel's stock components and give Apple a definitive performance edge.

Regardless of which choices Apple has made, they will become apparent this coming Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    No comment. Watching the hockey! Go Habs Go!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Interesting, but I think I'll just wait until Tuesday to find out for sure. At this point, speculation just seems a little useless in that there is now a definite amount of time before we will actually know everything about these new notebooks.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    The cool thing if this is true is the MacBook Pro will get hybrid SLI (a speed boost from the using the integrated graphics as well as the discrete GPU) plus hopefully the power saving feature which automatically switches back to the integrated GPU and shuts off the discrete GPU when load is low.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    I can understand why Apple would do this, if true. It would be an attempt to shut up the people complaining about Intel's integrated graphics, and placate the people demanding a replacement for the 12" Powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Did they not pay attention to the headlines? MacBook Pros failed by defective NVIDIA chips and now NVIDIA platform claimed to be used for new MacBook line. Duh!

Maybe Apple got a great deal on those defective NVIDIA chips for the new line!
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:

Did they not pay attention to the headlines? MacBook Pros failed by defective NVIDIA chips and now NVIDIA platform claimed to be used for new MacBook line. Duh!

Maybe Apple got a great deal on those defective NVIDIA chips for the new line!

Dude, you got issues, so what? At least they are willing to replace if for you. So what go to ATi now? Which is owned by AMD which is Intel competitor.

Quote:

I can understand why Apple would do this, if true. It would be an attempt to shut up the people complaining about Intel's integrated graphics, and placate the people demanding a replacement for the 12" Powerbook.

True

Quote:

The cool thing if this is true is the MacBook Pro will get hybrid SLI (a speed boost from the using the integrated graphics as well as the discrete GPU) plus hopefully the power saving feature which automatically switches back to the integrated GPU and shuts off the discrete GPU when load is low.

I would like that
  • Reply 7 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Enough to push me to buying one but leaving me wondering, where is my UP MB in a 10" form factor??

I hope the MB's get multi touch, that will simply rock.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    So this guy is basing his theory on a bit of clipart on a presentation. What a load.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all these Nvidia rumors turned out to be bogus, either. They make sense to me but that is never an indicator of what Apple will do.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    I like that AMD has made a formal commitment to OpenCL, back in August, and in this overview [last page] cites the greatest market penetration for Parallel Processing using the GPU via OpenCL.

PDF: http://ati.amd.com/products/firepro/...code_final.pdf
  • Reply 11 of 61
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

So this guy is basing his theory on a bit of clipart on a presentation. What a load.

Actually, from reading the story, he seems to be basing it on a calendar. Given Apple's penchant for secrecy (although I suspect Steve is now playing around w/ all the rumours), NVIDIA having a major product release the day after Apple releases what are supposedly "game-changing" new laptop systems pretty much forces you to assume 1+1 will = 2.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

Actually, from reading the story, he seems to be basing it on a calendar. Given Apple's penchant for secrecy (although I suspect Steve is now playing around w/ all the rumours), NVIDIA having a major product release the day after Apple releases what are supposedly "game-changing" new laptop systems pretty much forces you to assume 1+1 will = 2.

See, that's just silly. Apple is a fairly minor customer for Nvidia. Nvidia isn't going to schedule its releases around Apple's plans.*

*Unless they are. We'll find out very soon.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I the integrated graphics never seemed to be a real issue for me. It's better than the discrete offerings than Apple had in the old ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 in the late iBooks. X3100 can play HD my HD video just fine and the specs for X4500 are considerably better.

But I'm not a GPU-guy. I don't do any major video editing or play any graphics intensive games so I am definitely out of my league here. So can anyone tell me how moving to NVIDIA will affect the power usage over Intel's X4500 which has an even lower TDP than X3100? What will this offer the average MacBook user? Does this mean that even the MacBook will get DL-DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connector capable of running 30" ACDs?

It just seems like a huge gamble and price increase for Apple for something that most MacBook users doesn't care about or need.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

See, that's just silly. Apple is a fairly minor customer for Nvidia. Nvidia isn't going to schedule its releases around Apple's plans.*

What we don't know is how much Apple is paying Nvidia to be the first to use these chipsets. If they are as game-changing as they say, that might be worth quite a bit to a company like Apple. If Apple is giving them a pretty good cut, I would imagine it would be in Nvidia's best interest to work around Apple's schedule.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

How many cheap machines have discrete CPUs? Apple is taking over 30% of ALL consumer PC sales revenue in the US. They are also taking over 66% of ALL consumer unit sales from $1000+ PCs in the US. If they go exclusively with NVIDIA and offer it on even their best selling MacBooks, I think it would be a huge win for NVIDIA. Similar to the way that Intel is the only CPU used by Apple and and that they only use the higher-end CPUs and showcase new chips in Apple's flagship and unique offerings for a cheap, effective viral marketing.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

One thing Apple does is that it always becomes a major customer, even if their purchases from vendors are minor.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

One thing Apple does is that it always becomes a major customer, even if their purchases from vendors are minor.

Overall, their pruchases may be minor, but their purchases for a specific model chip would seem to be excessive compared to other OEMs. Apple is forcasted to sell some 12M units this year or next and has only a handful of options for their HW. As well as the free advertising, for better or worse) that comes along with being Apple.

PS: I'm still saying that X4500 is most likely for MB and MBAs.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

See, that's just silly. Apple is a fairly minor customer for Nvidia. Nvidia isn't going to schedule its releases around Apple's plans.....

Nah. Nvidia is blowing a lot of smoke about these new chip sets. For Apple to debut it's premier line using them is a big deal if true.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

What we don't know is how much Apple is paying Nvidia to be the first to use these chipsets. If they are as game-changing as they say, that might be worth quite a bit to a company like Apple. If Apple is giving them a pretty good cut, I would imagine it would be in Nvidia's best interest to work around Apple's schedule.

Apple probably doesn't have to pay them anything (other than the actual cost of the product). Apple being the first to use Nvidia chip sets in this way would be invaluable to Nvidia. If anything Nvidia should be paying Apple.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

No comment. Watching the hockey! Go Habs Go!

I'm watching the Red Sox.

In Los Angeles.

I hope the MB have great GPU.

Get over it Apple.

Hope they do.