Best Buy inventory listing for new MacBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Best Buy has recently updated its inventory system with place holders for six new Apple notebook models, according to an unconfirmed print out provided to gadget blog Gizmodo.

The electronics retailer provides no descriptive information, and is instead using colors as codenames for the notebooks, which carry the same price points as Apple's existing MacBook and MacBook Pro offerings.

AppleInsider readers are cautioned not to read into this information too deeply. While the inventory place holders are likely legitimate, they're also likely the result of speculation on the part of Best Buy management and not representative of any advanced information passed on by Apple.

The six models and prices are as follows:

GREEN = $1,999.99 - 15" MacBook Pro base model

PURPLE = $2,799.99 - 17" MacBook Pro base model

YELLOW = $1,499.99 - 13" MacBook top end model

BLUE = $2,499.99 - 15" MacBook Pro mid model

ORANGE = $1,299.99 - 13" MacBook mid Model

RED = $1,099.99 - 13" MacBook base model

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Ireland gonna love it if it turns out to be true
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ireland e-do-da, Ireland e-day!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider readers are cautioned not to read into this information too deeply. While the inventory place holders are likely legitimate, they're also likely the result of speculation on the part of Best Buy management and not representative of any advanced information passed on by Apple.

WTF? Best Buy management speculates by color? Give me a break.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

WTF? Best Buy management speculates by color? Give me a break.

They're down to building skus just to mess with blogs at this point. The only information they get from Apple (sometimes) is a quantity of skus, a category and occasionally, a model number.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

They're down to building skus just to mess with blogs at this point. The only information they get from Apple (sometimes) is a quantity of skus, a category and occasionally, a model number.

To mess with the blogs. I don't know about that. But I get your point.

Colors or your ass Jobs!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    c.dubc.dub Posts: 19member
    I used to work for a Canadian affiliate of Best Buy. When we got new inventory SKUs, the SKU would need a price (even if one was not supplied to us by the manufacturer). So Best Buy may have just used the current pricing. I remember seeing a new model of laptop show up, with a bizzare price that seemed too expensive or just really inacurate. Then when the product arrived to be displayed and ready for sale, the price would be adjusted appropriately. As for colours, I have never seen that before. Usually they use the model number...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

I used to work for a Canadian affiliate of Best Buy. When we got new inventory SKUs, the SKU would need a price (even if one was not supplied to us by the manufacturer). So Best Buy may have just used the current pricing. I remember seeing a new model of laptop show up, with a bizzare price that seemed too expensive or just really inacurate. Then when the product arrived to be displayed and ready for sale, the price would be adjusted appropriately. As for colours, I have never seen that before. Usually they use the model number...

AppleInsider should update the article to include this information. Thanks c.dub
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

AppleInsider should update the article to include this information. Thanks c.dub

No problem, I worked at Futureshop, and our SKUs were interchangable with Best Buy, so the internal inventory setup was basically the same.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    i do work at a best buy store currently although i dont work today so i havent been able to check out our inventory yet that picture looks like a genuine RSS( our inventory system) printout as far as the colors i have seen that before sometimes its a color then you have to scroll over to see a model number. the other post was correct the dollar amounts a many times wrong until the actual product is shipped to the individual store. so there is still hope for a price drop
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Thanks for the confirmation Matt754!

Man tomorrow can't come soon enough. I hope they are ready for ordering tomorrow as well.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt754 View Post

i do work at a best buy store currently although i dont work today so i havent been able to check out our inventory yet that picture looks like a genuine RSS( our inventory system) printout as far as the colors i have seen that before sometimes its a color then you have to scroll over to see a model number. the other post was correct the dollar amounts a many times wrong until the actual product is shipped to the individual store. so there is still hope for a price drop

If this is true about the color scrolling, I hope the color part is true all. I.E. this is the color for this model number etc. Apple have become very black and white (silver) lately, if you get me

Could you clarify if you think the color is just to hide the model number, or if it's actually going to be the color but also to cover the model number? Typically what's true in this regard if you can recall?
  • Reply 12 of 26
    i do admit the color is sort of strange but i have never seen something like that to hide a model number, if this is a genuine printout i would say that they will release different colored macbooks, maybe a spin off of the new nanos, who knows its steve jobs hes crazy. I have also seen model numbers be colors and that could be the case here
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation Matt754!

Man tomorrow can't come soon enough. I hope they are ready for ordering tomorrow as well.

i dont think they will be ready for ordering i saw another printout this i was one after they clicked on a sku and went into that product it shows the instock date being next month which seems accurate if the unveiling is tomorrow. i would say best buy would be ready for ordering within a couple weeks
  • Reply 14 of 26
    I doubt it about the colors... We have spy shots of the new casings, but nothing has come up about multiple colors like nanos. It is strange, but I wouldn't look too deep into it.

Hey if I'm wrong that's still fine, but I would rather have a silver/black notebook.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

I doubt it about the colors... We have spy shots of the new casings, but nothing has come up about multiple colors like nanos. It is strange, but I wouldn't look too deep into it.

Hey if I'm wrong that's still fine, but I would rather have a silver/black notebook.

i guess all we can do is wait till tomorrow\
  • Reply 16 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Dells all have the same lower part of the case:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I actually think the colored Dells look quite nice - they feature them a lot on Smallville.

Some people get tired of not having an identity on their laptop leading to the whole case modding community.

The colors here simply can't represent case colors though. They are perhaps just color codes to let Best Buy employees know which model is which. After all most of them probably aren't able to read (not matt obviously ).

Apple also wouldn't make each model a different color i.e you can only get purple if you buy the 17" MBP. Plus they are the kind of colors Microsoft would choose.

It doesn't look like they have any info at all on the lineup. We haven't seen a 17" case yet so we don't even know if that model still exists.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:

I was thinking the same, although colors would be nice

• Reply 18 of 26
  • Reply 19 of 26
    yeah actually to work at best buy you dont have to be able to read.... who knew lol thats also a good point about the dell pcs maybe mac is "borrowing" that idea and implementing it into there new line of mb and mbp
  • Reply 20 of 26
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I think someone is messing with Apple fans...

Think about the colors, aren't those colors the same as the original six-color Apple logo...?!?

I say a lame attempt at a joke by Best Buy geeks wanting to see the forums get frothed up by folks clamoring about the lack of price breaks on the new hotness...

As for colors, I guess I could be happy with an aluminium MacBook, but a tablet in a matte black, that would be optimal...!