Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
During its special notebook Tuesday, Apple unveiled its new Cinema Display featuring a 24-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with built-in iSight video camera, mic, and speakers in a thin aluminum and glass enclosure.

The Cupertino-based company said the new offering is designed especially for the new MacBook family, and includes an integrated MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports and the new Mini DisplayPort, making it easy for MacBook users to quickly connect and power their notebooks as well as use their favorite peripherals.

"The new LED Cinema Display is the most advanced display that Apple has ever made," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "It is a perfect fit for our sleek new line of aluminum MacBooks with its 24-inch LED-backlit screen, aluminum and glass enclosure, integrated camera, mic and speakers, MagSafe charger, three USB ports and Mini DisplayPort."

Resolution and Specs

The 24-inch glossy, widescreen display features a 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution and uses LED-backlit technology to provide instant full-screen brightness and great power efficiency. It's suspended by an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display easy, and includes a built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers, making it ideal for video conferencing with iChat, listening to music or watching movies.

The new display also includes three self-powered USB 2.0 ports so users can leave their printer, camera, iPhone 3G or iPod dock connected when they take their MacBook with them. The thin display also includes a built-in universal MagSafe charger so users can leave their notebook's MagSafe power adapter in their travel bag.

Apple's Greenest Display Ever

Apple also announced that the new LED Cinema Display is the greenest display it's ever developed, made with mercury-free LED technology, arsenic-free glass and highly recyclable materials. It meets stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status, the company said. The new display contains no brominated flame retardants, and all internal cables and components are PVC-free. Its foam packaging has also been reduced by 44 percent.

Part of the next-generation DisplayPort industry standard, a new Mini DisplayPort delivers a pure digital signal that can drive up to a 30-inch widescreen display, Apple said. The Mini DisplayPort is ultra-compact at just 10 percent the size of a full DVI connector. Adapters are also available for using the MacBook's Mini DisplayPort with older generation VGA, DVI/HDMI and Dual-Link DVI displays.

Pricing & Availability

The new LED Cinema Display will be available in November through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $899. It will require a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the new Mini DisplayPort.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I figured they were waiting for LED to update the Cinema Display. I suppose this means the iMac will go LED sometime soon.
  • Reply 2 of 184
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?
  • Reply 3 of 184
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

What an odd decision to make this only work with the new laptops. I guess we can expect displayport capable Mac Pros sometime soon?

That sounds like a given.
  • Reply 4 of 184
    This sucks, I can only get this display if I upgrade my Macbook Pro?
  • Reply 5 of 184
    Quote:

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.
  • Reply 6 of 184
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

To be fair, when I plug my laptop into an external monitor, I usually have the lid closed, so speakers and an iSight are welcome additions in that configuration.
  • Reply 7 of 184
    Quote:

Dude, I hardly think they're making us pay for those added features. It's the same price point as the old 23" cinema display and it's LED and an inch bigger!
  • Reply 8 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

This sucks, I can only get this display if I upgrade my Macbook Pro?

I was thinking the exact same thing and even asked it in another thread on here but if there are speakers and an iSight and a mic in the new Apple Cinema Displays, what's the point? They only work on new Macbooks, Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs, which all have these built in anyways and I know that some people are saying that people obviously use them for their Mac Pros but they're currently not compatible, right? As well as them not even being compatible with older systems now either, which really sucks, what do we do if we want to buy an Apple Cinema Display for an older machine, if it it was just one that I had or could have bought Yesterday or even last week?
  • Reply 9 of 184
    Quote:

Agreed. Some adapter we don't know about yet?
  • Reply 10 of 184
    Quote:

Odd decision indeed. Considering the display only works with mini Display Port, it even alienates current Mac users, unless they get a converter. Alittle disappointing on the specs too... a 14ms response time? Thats incredibly slow and outdated. Combine that with only a 1000:1 CR and this puppy is waaaaay over priced. You can get FAR better performing "monitors" for less than half the $899 price, with way better specs, and with more inputs than just USB (very perplexing). Case in point: my 24" Acer HD monitor with 3000:1 CR and 2ms response time that was $330.

Ouch Apple.
  • Reply 11 of 184
    camcam Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

I imagine that this is a forward-thinking decision. I would bet that the next versions of the Mac Mini and Mac Pro will work well with these displays.

Also, if you are actually working on the new display with your MacBook in iChat, for example, you would probably want to be looking into that display's camera as opposed to the iSight on your laptop which would probably be off to the side.
  • Reply 12 of 184
    So they finally come out with a display that will look good next to the current iMac and it wont actually connect to it. Not only that but to use it with a laptop you have to plug 3 cables in! What about this is good. PC Laptops have docs that you just put your laptop down on and everythings connected not feck around with wires each time you use it, arnt mac's meant to be the simple things.
  • Reply 13 of 184
    tim68tim68 Posts: 17member
    I suppose I should be grateful for the updates we got today. But I spent a lot of money last January on what Apple propped up as the best Mac ever. Are they telling me my $14,000 Pro won't work with their new line of cinema displays? Am I going to have to pay for the overpriced outdated Cinema Displays from '04? I'd hate to know I've been waiting all this time for a 30 inch LED display that isn't coming.
  • Reply 14 of 184
    i think it is ridiculous to bash the monitor because of the graphics adapter, which i am sure apple will provide an adapter, or sell one, that you can use with your mac Pro, or hell, mac mini.

but...

ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GLOSSY DISPLAY, want Matte anti-reflective screen, very hard to do graphics work with a glossy/shiny display.

cmon apple, glossy is kinda stupid and your prosumers know better!!!
  • Reply 15 of 184
    Quote:

Dude, I hardly think they're making us pay for those added features. It's the same price point as the old 23" cinema display and it's LED and an inch bigger!

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?
  • Reply 16 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

I have just bought a new Samsung 24 inch screen this past week and although I know its not the same screen, it doesn't even have the same kind of panel behind it, it is the same size, the same supported resolutions, it is in matte which I prefer, it does have speakers but I'm sure that they're probably not as good of the quality and it doesn't have an iSight or a mic built in but it was only $350 (Canadian Dollars) and tax, I could buy 3 of these for the same price as one of the new Apple Cinema displays because I am guessing that it will cost $899, which would be somewhere between $1000 and $1200 Canadian Dollars and tax, which would probably cost about $1200 or about the same as a new regular Macbook or even a 20 inch iMac?

yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

P.S. BTW - If you're Canadian you'd actually save money. have you looked at the exchange rate recently? 1 dollar is 1.145 canadian dollars
  • Reply 17 of 184
    So I know Im kinda slow at this, but I like the concept of a bigger screen for at home use and being able to plug my ipod or if i get an iphone and my printer or whatever but like do you have to use both screens when your laptop is connected i would think thats kinda of annoying if you do i mean i would want it to pretty much replace my laptop while im using it. Is there different settings like dual screen and single one?
  • Reply 18 of 184
    Quote:

yes, but you're forgetting that the current 23" cinema display with none of those new features costs 899 as well. Apple hasn't changed in terms of pricing on their new displays is my point. They're just as expensive as they ever were.

I know, that's my point also, I'm not arguing against you, I don't think but they are just as expensive as they always were, I still think they were really overpriced in the first place and nothing has changed, price wise.
  • Reply 19 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

So I know Im kinda slow at this, but I like the concept of a bigger screen for at home use and being able to plug my ipod or if i get an iphone and my printer or whatever but like do you have to use both screens when your laptop is connected i would think thats kinda of annoying if you do i mean i would want it to pretty much replace my laptop while im using it. Is there different settings like dual screen and single one?

Yes, on current MBPs it's the F7 key
  • Reply 20 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Maybe it's really for the desktops? I don't think the camera modules are that expensive, they're the same thing that's included in disposable phones. The product is cheaper and better than the previous version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Agreed. Some adapter we don't know about yet?

I thought DisplayPort could be made backward compatible using the same connector - just with a simple cable adapter.