Apple refreshes 17-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As an aside Tuesday, Apple also announced that it's refreshing both MacBook Air and the 17-inch MacBook Pro, though both systems will largely retain their existing industrials designs.

MacBook Air

The new MacBook Air, which continues to weigh in at 3 pounds and measure only 0.16-inches at its thinnest point and 0.76-inches at its thickets, now includes the new NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics chipset and a faster architecture to provide robust support for 3D games and enhanced performance.

New models will start at $1,799 and be made available with a 120GB 4200 rpm hard drive when they go on sale in November, a 50 percent increase from the previous generation, or a new 128GB solid state drive. Like the new 13-inch MacBook and 15-inch MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air also includes a next generation, industry-standard Mini DisplayPort to connect with the new 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display.

The new Mini DisplayPort delivers a pure digital signal that can drive up to a 30-inch widescreen display, and is ultra-compact at just 10 percent the size of a full DVI connector.

The 1.6 GHz MacBook Air is priced at $1,799 and includes:

13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit high resolution 1280 x 800 glossy display;1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB shared L2 cache;1066 MHz front-side bus;2GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;120GB serial ATA hard drive running at 4200 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;built-in iSight video camera;one USB 2.0 port;one headphone port;Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard; and45 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

The 1.86 GHz MacBook Air will sell for $2,499 and include:

13.3-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1280 x 800 glossy display;1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB shared L2 cache;1066 MHz front-side bus;2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM;NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;128GB solid state drive;Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;built-in iSight video camera;one USB 2.0 port;one headphone port;Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard; and45 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Build-to-order options and accessories for the MacBook Air include the MacBook Air SuperDrive, Apple USB Ethernet Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for 30-inch DVI display), Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter, Apple USB Modem, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter, Apple Remote and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

17-inch MacBook Pro

Meanwhile, the updated 17-inch MacBook Pro keeps its original aluminum design, and now comes standard with a high resolution 1920 x 1200 LED-backlit display and a larger 320GB hard drive or an optional 128GB solid state drive.

The 2.5GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro will retail for $2,799 and include:

17-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1920 x 1200 glossy display;2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6MB shared L2 cache;800 MHz front-side bus;4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM;NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 512MB with GDDR3 video memory;320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;DVI output port for video output (VGA adapter included);built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;Gigabit Ethernet port;built-in iSight video camera;three USB 2.0 ports;one FireWire 800 port and one FireWire 400 port;ExpressCard/34 expansion card slot;one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard; and85 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

Build-to-order options for the 17-inch MacBook Pro include a 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, a 320GB 7200 rpm hard drive, a 128GB solid state drive, anti-glare display, Apple USB Modem, Apple Remote, Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter and the AppleCare Protection Plan.Â*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Let me get this straight... the most expensive MBP has the worst bus speed and worst graphics chip, a chip that's been the center of a major product recall.

What kind of complete idiots do they think buy their top end products??

This isn't a refresh it's a slap in the face.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mvomvo Posts: 3member
    Is there any news on the fact that current Macbook Air users would get a free upgrade in case their Macbook Air has constant heat problems: core shutdowns, Kernel_task speed throttling. I just posed my question to the Apple Forum and it got removed. Did Steve mention anything about that?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Let the bitching and incessant moaning begin... oh, I see it's already started.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    By refresh, it looks like they mean ever so slight spec bump to pacify the needs of a select few while they finalize the design on the redesigned 17 inch unit. There were rumors that the 17 inch was going to participate in the redesign, but there was a bug that appeared in testing that prevented it from moving forward, leaving Apple without a high end replacement product. They had to make due with what they had, while not spending much money to redesign the internals of an obsolete platform.

(As an aside, it's rather sad typing this on my 2 month old "obsolete platform." If only school had started later....)
  • Reply 5 of 26
    BFD. I imagine this will sell with the kids but I'm glad I f'n hate laptops.

If they pull this stunt with the Mac Pro, screw over the Mac mini and don't even bother with a stop-gap option I'll keep waiting.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Doesn't the 6MB cache imply that the Air processors have been upgraded too? Aren't these the newer lower wattage chips?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

BFD. I imagine this will sell with the kids but I'm glad I f'n hate laptops.

If they pull this stunt with the Mac Pro, screw over the Mac mini and don't even bother with a stop-gap option I'll keep waiting.

Keep waiting... for what?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Current MBA owners are going to be pissed that they can't use the new 24" display that is unless someone comes out with a DVI to DisplayPort adapter that will work.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Current MBA owners are going to be pissed that they can't use the new 24" display that is unless someone comes out with a DVI to DisplayPort adapter that will work.

I will be

• Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Keep waiting... for what?

Not a laptop. that's for sure. I can't stomach them. If they can't manage to produce a more capable Mac mini then I'll wait for the next system release with Nehalem and buy the Mac Pro capable Nehalem.

Intel's in a massive transitional shift and the Industry is taking a giant bowel movement to make room for this shift.

That's a problem. This industry relies entirely too much on Intel.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvo View Post

Is there any news on the fact that current Macbook Air users would get a free upgrade in case their Macbook Air has constant heat problems: core shutdowns, Kernel_task speed throttling. I just posed my question to the Apple Forum and it got removed. Did Steve mention anything about that?

Call Apple to get a new one, if that doesn't work This does not seem like an isolated incident so contact a lawyer as this doesn't seem like an isolated incident.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

(As an aside, it's rather sad typing this on my 2 month old "obsolete platform." If only school had started later....)

"...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Doesn't the 6MB cache imply that the Air processors have been upgraded too? Aren't these the newer lower wattage chips?

Yes, The new MB, MBP and MBAs all have Montevina chips. The MBAs now use 17W TDP instead of 20. I'm guessing that the reason the MBA's aren't ready yet is because of issues with Intel's 22mm^2 packaging.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Why not? DisplayPort can take DVI signaling natively so all Apple has to do is create a Micro-DVI?to?Mini-DisplayPort adapter. Unless the 24" ACD requires a DL-DVI, then they are SoL, but then so are all the old MBs.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    SERIOUSLY!!!! STOP IT.

Apple will release it soon. Apple doesn't own anything to anyone, they move with their speed.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

SERIOUSLY!!!! STOP IT.

Off topic, but your post reminded me of this MadTV skit with Bob Newhart.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Honestly?

I SOOOOO want a MacBook Air, a wonderful looking, lickable, teh sexy notebook!

little less cost or a little more speed and it would be really hard to resist

ok 256SSD for the entry level price would help seal a deal too, but I guess thats only a matter of time.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    But...

When (if ever) will they release a 17-inch MacBook Pro in the new design?

No way anybody is going to buy the old "refreshed" 17-inch.

I am waiting, credit card in hand, for the release of a new high-res 17-inch.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

But...

When (if ever) will they release a 17-inch MacBook Pro in the new design?

I am waiting, credit card in hand, for the release of a new high-res 17-inch.

There are several factors to consider here. The first one is that this isn't just a new case design, but a new case manufacturing process. Since the 17' is obviously larger they will need a larger 'brick' to start with. Perhaps there are some unforeseen issues that arose. Secondly, the 17" MBP is surely the least popular of all the Mac notebooks so if they have to push one aside that would be the best option.

Personally, as much as I want a new Mac notebook, I think I'm going to wait a few months, to the chagrin of my nephew, to see how this new process pans out.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Matte display option...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Do you guys think that current MBA owners will get a software update that includes the new touch gestures?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

I will. It is the only Mac laptop now that still has the option of a non reflective screen.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JSUDaniel View Post

Do you guys think that current MBA owners will get a software update that includes the new touch gestures?

They might. I think it all depends on the HW capabilities of the old MBA trackpad. In other words, if the old MBA trackpad isn't capable of registering 4 points at a time, I'd say it isnt' possible. But if it can, I think they will add it since Apple did update the MBPs trackpad with multi-gesture software after the MBA came out while still keeping the trackpad the same (at least in looks).