So, will future LCDs Tilt /Swivel?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The more I look at the iMac the more that swiveling/tilting LCD looks like a great idea. LCDs are so much lighter and less bulky than CRTs, it seems only natural that they should be more manuverable.

The tripod-style base that Apple has been using is nice, but why should iMac users have more flexibility than pro users?

Two persistent rumors are that Apple is adding a 19" LCD to the ASD line-up and redesigning the Power Mac case. Seems to me like the perfect timing for a redesigned display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    davdav Posts: 115member
    I think the original Apple LCD display had a (removeable) stand to it. I like the current design - it tilts, and I can turn it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by dav:

<strong>I think the original Apple LCD display had a (removeable) stand to it. I like the current design - it tilts, and I can turn it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes the original flat panel had a display stand/arm. However, there also was an eisel (sp?) stand that allowed you to place the display directly on your desk...

The swivel stand was definately useful in a multi-user workstation environment!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    OLED is the future.

OLED= Organic Light Emiting Diode. Ever one know Led's, Oled is almost the same, but it has better quality and you can put it on transparant plastic as thick as a paper. You can even put it in a bag like a newspaper.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    oled MAYBE in 2 years. LCDs and CRTs will reign till then

that would be nice, if they made a stand better than the one they used to have. less plastic and more metal, pro like materials.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I tell you what I would like to see. The LCD with the new iMac base and in the base add a 4 port USB hub and a 3 port FireWire hub. All the complaints about having to reach around the PowerMac to plug in devices would be solved. I think this would rock.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    The new Sony tilts and works with both analog and digital video cards. 18.1" $799 at Circuit Shity.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I agree with the use of the current iMac design as the desktop part of the new PowerMac. The display (please Widescreen and pivot-capable), the connectors and the Cd-combo or superdrive on your desktop, while you have a extra tower module under your desktop which hold all the processors, PCI and HD stuff connected via a new ADC II connector whith Firewire. Make that tower part rackmountable and add clustering capabilities : then you can drive a whole rendering farm from one little iMac like desk part.

What do you think ?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I agree whith the original poster. This feature is likely to become available but Iwouldn't hold you breath. I think it will be a long time coming. The new form factor is so flexable that I think there are many options to keep demand for the product for many years to come.

Here is my guess at the schedule:-

Jan 03 Speed bump and larger HD

July 03 Speed bump. CD-Rw dropped now only Combo or Superdrive options.

Jan 04 17" version available.. Maybe widescreen.

Jan 05 G5 version and screen swivels 90deg to portrate.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I should point out that the iMac2 weighs 20lbs so it has been designed to take a larger screen without the thing becoming unstable and falling over.