Purchasing new MacBook at BBY: AppleCare or BBY warranty?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The advantage of the BBY warranty is that it is accidental. I've never had a Mac so I'm not very familiar with AppleCare and what it does/doesn't cover and how the service is.

I can get AppleCare for $250 or I can get a 2 year accidental warranty for $240 (as I'm a BBY employee).

I'm just not sure which is going to be the better choice in the long run.

I'm getting the $1,599 model by the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I would take applecare over best buy's warranty any day. If you do have to take it in for repair apples turn around is usually faster and i have always had more of a hassle with store warranties for some reason. They make it sound better then it really is
  • Reply 2 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Do *not* buy Bestbuy's warranty. Buy applecare.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    AppleCare can be purchased anytime within the first year of owning a Mac, correct?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 View Post

AppleCare can be purchased anytime within the first year of owning a Mac, correct?

Yes, and some places will sell it at a discount. I bought mine for an iBook at smalldog.com.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UncleDavid218 View Post

The advantage of the BBY warranty is that it is accidental. I've never had a Mac so I'm not very familiar with AppleCare and what it does/doesn't cover and how the service is.

I can get AppleCare for $250 or I can get a 2 year accidental warranty for $240 (as I'm a BBY employee).

I'm just not sure which is going to be the better choice in the long run.

I'm getting the $1,599 model by the way.

Hokay, here's the deal. Week before last, the mouse on my iMac was not functioning correctly, so I called Apple Care. The next morning I had a new replacement mouse, and then I called the carrier back to pickup the errant mouse for a return to Apple, and they got it back the following day. Say I called on a Tuesday, by Thursday Apple already had my bad mouse back. THAT is service, and there was no extra charges involved beyond me paying for AppleCare to begin with!

I have always had excellent service from AppleCare whenever it was needed, and I would not buy a laptop without it. HTH
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Do *not* buy Bestbuy's warranty. Buy applecare.

Laptops are just about the only thing that "Accidental Protection" warranties actually make sense for. Not that I am advocating giving Best Buy money, you have to think about whether you're likely to spill something on it in the next two years.

It would still have Applecare for the first 12 months, too, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Will BB get the MBA with the SSD? I like the points I get at BB and their financing is like free for years for expensive items. I would think the credit offer would be for the laptop too?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kuredood View Post

Will BB get the MBA with the SSD? I like the points I get at BB and their financing is like free for years for expensive items. I would think the credit offer would be for the laptop too?

Maybe through their website. I doubt many stores will stock it.