Outlook 2007/Entourage 2008

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am currently a pc user and am considering getting a mac. Before I make the leap, I am trying to find out some info.

Currently, I'm using Vista with Outlook 2007. I will have to continue using pc for work but would like to use mac for photos, etc...

My question deals with Outlook 2007 and Entourage 2008 compatability/integration. Does anybody know if Outlook and Entourage use the same pst file? Is it still a pst file in Entourage?

I will be loading XP on mac via boot camp and/or Parallel/Fusion. Can Outlook 2007 and Entourage 2008 share the same pst file? I am hoping that they both use the same file so that when I'm in XP, my Outlook will have all emails, sent & received, as when I'm in OSX and Entourage 2008. Am I going to have to import file evertime I change OS?

Also, does anybody have an opinion on Parallel or Fusion. What's the difference and what are the pro and cons of either.

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Outlook and Entourage are completely different applications that can both access Exchange servers. Entourage does not use .pst files. It uses an incompatible archive file format whose extension is .rge. Microsoft provides a tool to convert .pst files created using Outlook 2001 for the Mac to Entourage. Microsoft does not provide a tool to convert Windows-originated .pst files.

Otherwise, Entourage provides decent access to the services of an Exchange server. Outlook is better, albeit at the expense of having to use Windows. For many, that is a price too higher to pay.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Outlook and Entourage are completely different applications that can both access Exchange servers. Entourage does not use .pst files. It uses an incompatible archive file format whose extension is .rge. Microsoft provides a tool to convert .pst files created using Outlook 2001 for the Mac to Entourage. Microsoft does not provide a tool to convert Windows-originated .pst files.

Otherwise, Entourage provides decent access to the services of an Exchange server. Outlook is better, albeit at the expense of having to use Windows. For many, that is a price too higher to pay.

Thank you.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    When switching back and forth between Outlook and Entourage, no, provided that your mail is stored server-side (i.e. if you're using an Exchange or IMAP account), you will not have to manually import sent and received mail - you'll see the same mail in both apps.

Entourage does not use .pst files, but either mbox or .rge files (you're choice). There's good reason to use .rge files over mbox though. I've written up the details here - How To Archive Entourage 2008 Mail using Multiple Identities

Another feature of significance to note is the booking of resources isn't the same in between the two apps. Here's how you schedule a conference room in Entourage - How to reserve a conference room in Entourage 2008 Calendar

Hope this helps.