AirPort Software Base Station

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I found this on Apples Web side:

[quote] The AirPort software base station turns an AirPort-enabled computer such as an iMac, PowerBook or Power Mac G4 into an AirPort Base Station. <hr></blockquote>

My question is this: With Jaguar, can I make my PowerBook G4 a base station, so that both me and my girlfriend can be on the net at the same time ? (As long as both comp. have Airport cards) ?

Does anyone have any info on this ?

Oh, and BTW this is Apples website for it:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/airport/swbase/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/airport/swbase/</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yes, the software basestation is back in 10.2 Jaguar under the Sharing preferences (Internet Sharing.)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    so i dont need the airport base station anymore?????
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Unless I'm mistaken (happens alot) the software base station lets you share Internet (or other network connection) that is coming into one Airport-equipped computer (say, by Ethernet) with other Airport-equipped computers wirelessly.

This might be nice in a pinch but who wants tie up a $2,000 desktop or a powerbook when a $300 basestation will do the job?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by firehc:

<strong>so i dont need the airport base station anymore?????</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not necessarily. But as M. Grey said, you have to tie up a computer with the internet connection. That means it can never go to sleep, leave the room or crash. Sure, those are all possible, but the hardware base station makes things much simpler. And you've already got one.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I was "forced" by Apple into buying a base station when they delayed Software Base Station for so, so long, and I still can't make up my mind which I liked more.

My G4 served as a software base for my iBook, and they worked flawlessly. That is, as long as the G4 didn't crash, power off, or anything like that. But I leave it on 24/7 anyhow...so...

But the base station is nice to have in case one person is using a laptop and you have to reboot or power off. And that way, if your tower "goes in the shop" or whatever, you can still easily access the net.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I started with the software base station on my G4, but now I like having a real Airport Base Station. I can let the G4 sleep (that fan gets annoying).

Ahh.. the sound of silence...

Plus I can position the ABS so that my girlfriend's TiBook gets decent reception.

(Would you please turn down that TiBook's fan!)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Hardware basestations are better if you can afford one. I love mine, but it cost $300. I'm glad Apple has finally included a free option in OS X.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Son of Pismo ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I love the software base station and can't wait for my copy of Jag to get here so it will be native again. I have gotten through by rebooting my iMac into OS 9 so that I can roam the house with my iBook.

My uptimes will greatly improve. I am still thinking about getting a hardware base station for better range.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    after my airport base died, i bought an SMC router (barricade SMC7004VWBR) for 130 bucks. Much better reception now on my iBook (i get 5 bars where i only got 2 before). Only negatives are that you can't use the spiffy airport utility (there's a web interface) and when you use Internet Connect it can't tell you if the router's connected to the broadband line or not. (It says "Status Unavailable" but still gives you a signal report.) I have DSL and the PPPoE support seems to be more stable than the ABS.

All in all, not quite as cool as the airport, but terrific at half the price, and better raw performance to boot. It's another alternative if you don't want to shell out 300 or tie up a desktop machine all day.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Apple][Forever ]</p>