Mac Pro and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M was added in the MacBook line, do you think that we will see the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU added to the Mac Pro? I was in the market for a Mac Pro, however, seeing that Apple may add the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU, I might as well wait for MacWorld Expo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Possible but unlikely since the Mac Pro is primarily used for high performance computing relative to the portable Macs and unlike the portable macs, the mac pro is not portable. I believe they will stick with discrete graphics for the mac pro, maybe they'll upgrade the cards that can be used, like adding higher end cards and display port, other than that not a lot.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ginopiazza49 View Post

Now that the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M was added in the MacBook line, do you think that we will see the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU added to the Mac Pro? I was in the market for a Mac Pro, however, seeing that Apple may add the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU, I might as well wait for MacWorld Expo.

No. The processors used by the Mac Pro require an Intel chipset. That's way too low-end to be the base graphics card, anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    keantan and FuturePastNow,

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

No. The processors used by the Mac Pro require an Intel chipset. That's way too low-end to be the base graphics card, anyway.

FuturePastNow,

Can you explain a little more what you mean?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

There is no way that a LAPTOP CPU is going in to a $2300 DESKTOP.

If apple makes that move that will likey be the end of apple selling mac hardware as a lot of pro will go with Pystar and EFIX then.

And a mini laptop sized port on a big desktop tower?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

keantan and FuturePastNow,

Thanks for the heads up.

FuturePastNow,

Can you explain a little more what you mean?

A server/workstation version of Intel's X58 chipset is the only platform that dual Nehalem processors will be able to work with, when they are launched later this year.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ssassa Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

And a mini laptop sized port on a big desktop tower?

I don't realistically see Apple using mini-Displayport on the Mac Pro. There would be a huge outcry if Apple put only mini-DP outputs on the video cards and didn't include any adapters in the box. The mini-DP to dual link DVI cable is $100.

I might be able to see Apple using full size Displayport on the Mac Pro. While in the short term having two DP outputs may seem too futuristic, I think we will see a dramatic expansion of use of DP particularly on larger displays(24"+). Dell and HP already have monitor using standard DP, and I imagine the number will only increase with time.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more criticism of the use of mini-DP on the MBP considering that except for Apple's new 24 inch monitor nothing AFAIK uses the input. One needs to pay $29 just to plug the MBP into anything! At the cost of the MBP, I am surprised Apple didn't throw in the adapters in the box. The MBP has sufficient margin that they could include a couple of adapters in the box and still make a healthy margin, but Apple would receive more good will from their customers.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSA View Post

I don't realistically see Apple using mini-Displayport on the Mac Pro. There would be a huge outcry if Apple put only mini-DP outputs on the video cards and didn't include any adapters in the box. The mini-DP to dual link DVI cable is $100.

I might be able to see Apple using full size Displayport on the Mac Pro. While in the short term having two DP outputs may seem too futuristic, I think we will see a dramatic expansion of use of DP particularly on larger displays(24"+). Dell and HP already have monitor using standard DP, and I imagine the number will only increase with time.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that there hasn't been more criticism of the use of mini-DP on the MBP considering that except for Apple's new 24 inch monitor nothing AFAIK uses the input. One needs to pay $29 just to plug the MBP into anything! At the cost of the MBP, I am surprised Apple didn't throw in the adapters in the box. The MBP has sufficient margin that they could include a couple of adapters in the box and still make a healthy margin, but Apple would receive more good will from their customers.

also why does apple not have a mini dp to full size Displayport adapter.

Also there is no way that the mini can come with mini DP and no adapters.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

also why does apple not have a mini dp to full size Displayport adapter.

I don't think there are enough displays out there to justify having one. Admittedly there are probably 3 times more than support Mini-Displayport but that's still just 3 displays. The displayport displays are also fairly expensive.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Probably more information than you wanted to know, but you need to read up on Nehalem to understand what is needed for the next Mac Pro with Nehalem systems:

http://www.intel.com/technology/arch..._micro+nehalem