Illuminated Keyboard Swap

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Now that the keyboard modules are standardized on all MacBooks (including Pro's), would it be possible to swap in the illuminated keyboard onto the new entry level MacBook?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camatmckesson View Post

Now that the keyboard modules are standardized on all MacBooks (including Pro's), would it be possible to swap in the illuminated keyboard onto the new entry level MacBook?

Don't see why not. You have to take the thing completely apart to get to the keyboard, though.

Edit: Wait, by "entry level" did you mean the $999 model or the $1299 model?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Don't see why not. You have to take the thing completely apart to get to the keyboard, though.

Edit: Wait, by "entry level" did you mean the $999 model or the $1299 model?

I think he is referring to the new 2.0GHz model. That would be pretty cool albeit a pain to do though.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keantan View Post

I think he is referring to the new 2.0GHz model. That would be pretty cool albeit a pain to do though.

Yeah, the new MacBook...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    OK, which is worth it:

a) Buying the backlit Keyboard, tearing the new MB apart to place it, and it might not even work.

b) Paying the extra 300$, escape the hassle, upgrade the RAM and processor.

Don't know about you, but I would go for b
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If it's anything like the old MacBook Pros and Powerbooks, the keyboard is activated by a light sensor, so you'd need to move both.