Cave Story

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone played this? If not:

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/cav...ave-story-mac/

Quick download, all translated. Anyway, I was wondering if any other Mac players had any issues opening the item and map screens in the game. Every time I try, my computer freezes for about 15 seconds as the music dies before everything is back to normal again. I've tried looking for help on this issue but it seems like I'm the only one with the problem. I'm on a 2.4GHz penryn MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM.

Any help would be appreciated, and play the game if you haven't. It's terrific otherwise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I should add that, in fullscreen mode (tab key), it freezes my computer completely and I have to restart.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    I tried it out on a Mac Mini - it reminds me a lot of Super Mario - I didn't get an issue with full screen. The text for me was in Japanese/Chinese so I couldn't try the maps.

When you go full screen, does it just freeze as black or do you get a kernel panic (grey overlay that appears telling you to restart)? Also, does pressing command-alt-escape close the app - usually this kills the app immediately if you are stuck in full-screen mode.

I'd probably try to contact the developer of the app if possible. They may be able to suggest a debug mode for the game so that you can get console output.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I tried it out on a Mac Mini - it reminds me a lot of Super Mario - I didn't get an issue with full screen. The text for me was in Japanese/Chinese so I couldn't try the maps.

When you go full screen, does it just freeze as black or do you get a kernel panic (grey overlay that appears telling you to restart)? Also, does pressing command-alt-escape close the app - usually this kills the app immediately if you are stuck in full-screen mode.

I'd probably try to contact the developer of the app if possible. They may be able to suggest a debug mode for the game so that you can get console output.

Super Mario? Metroid or Megaman maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Hmm, I can't really say anything because running it on my 1st gen MBP I'm having no problems whatsoever.

I will say this, though. Cave Story is one of the best free games you'll ever play. It starts off simple enough, but it won't be long until it shows how in depth the game is. There are parts that are more intense than I thought a 2D platformer could ever be.