New MBP with 8 GB RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to put 8 GB of RAM on the new MBP. Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I want to put 8 GB of RAM on the new MBP. Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

From what I've read here and elsewhere (Ars) - I don't think it's been proven that you can yet. I've heard several conflicting reports, but they center around whether or not the chipset is designed to handle any more than 4 - just like the previous versions couldn't.

MY belief is that they cannot... but I'd like to be wrong.

This to me, is why I'm not buying a new machine.. I need as much RAM as I can afford to stuff in one...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It's absolutely possible to install 8GB in the new MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.

Source:

http://9to5mac.com/8GB-MacBook-NVIDIA
  • Reply 3 of 10
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dukee101 View Post

It's absolutely possible to install 8GB in the new MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.

Source:

http://9to5mac.com/8GB-MacBook-NVIDIA

Very nice!

Now I just have to wait for it to comedown in price...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    This is going to be great in 3 years... honestly, I love eBay + yearly RAM price drops.

Laters...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    So we need to be certain that Apple acutally put the line traces to the 36-bit memory address on the logic board. Cannot guarantee this until someone actually tries it on the MBP. I do not understand why it is taking so long. I know a few testers out there has access to 4GB DDR3 modules. Heck slot one module in and see if the MBP will boot up to 6GB RAM. That will do me fine actually.

2GB RAM per VM and this would be a happy lappie!.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

So we need to be certain that Apple acutally put the line traces to the 36-bit memory address on the logic board. Cannot guarantee this until someone actually tries it on the MBP. I do not understand why it is taking so long. I know a few testers out there has access to 4GB DDR3 modules. Heck slot one module in and see if the MBP will boot up to 6GB RAM. That will do me fine actually.

2GB RAM per VM and this would be a happy lappie!.

Well right now getting 8GB in DDR3 is hard to find and outrageous in price.

Wait a few months...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    From what I've heard putting 8GB of Ram in a Macbook or Macbook Pro can result in the OS becoming unstable. Although it can be done, it is recommended not to install more than 6 GB of Ram (1X2GB + 1X4GB).

Check out macrumors.com for more info.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by duzledwarf View Post

From what I've heard putting 8GB of Ram in a Macbook or Macbook Pro can result in the OS becoming unstable. Although it can be done, it is recommended not to install more than 6 GB of Ram (1X2GB + 1X4GB).

Check out macrumors.com for more info.

Yeah I saw that. I guess I will wait until mac OS is improved to handle 8 GB and memory prices come down.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    anybody know if prices have come down?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The OS is not the problem, hell, we have a Mac Pro with 24GB of RAM that it can utilize fine. The issue seems to stem from the chipsets that Apple is using and how the memory addressing it set up on the motherboard.