NVIDIA to join Mac gaming push, intros new desktop chipsets

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With its new mobile chipset platform now embedded in each of Apple's notebook families, NVIDIA plans to step up its efforts to advance Mac game developments. Separately, the chipmaker has just announced similar GeForce 9400 and 9300 chipsets for desktop CPUs, which could find their way into new iMacs.

In support of Mac gaming

Speaking to bi-tech.net last week, NVIDIA General Manager for Notebook GPUs confirmed that his firm would proactively leverage its The Way It?s Meant To Be Played program to encourage developers to release more titles for Mac. He said NVIDIA would also push for cross-platform developers to schedule their Mac gaming releases much closer to their PC counterparts.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played, or TWIMTBP, is a five year-old program that helps game makers with game development and incorporating exclusive features that take advantage of the latest GeForce video cards. Developers who participate in the program are provide extensive guidelines on game performance optimizations and often co-brand their titles with a TWIMTBP splash screens.

New chipsets for desktops

On Monday, NVIDIA said its engineering team was presented with a challenge from an unnamed party, to "deliver a desktop GPU which integrates full system I/O and discrete-level performance in one-half the size of previous integrated graphics solutions."

The result is a new pair of GeForce 9400 and 9300 motherboard GPUs for desktop PCs running Intel processors. The 16-core CUDA-capable graphics architectures provide high-quality video playback with NVIDIA PureVideo HD technology, support for Hybrid SLI technology, and support for advanced audio and video connectivity, such as uncompressed LPCM 7.1 audio, dual-link DVI, and HDMI.

?We?ve combined the power of three different chips into one highly compact and efficient GPU,? said Drew Henry, general manager of MCP business unit at NVIDIA. ?In doing so, we?ve redefined the level of performance people can expect from a motherboard solution to enrich visual computing experiences for mainstream systems. You can now have the performance of a discrete GPU in a small form factor PC.?

NVIDIA says the single-chip design has a much smaller footprint than competing chipsets, making it ideal for small form factor and ultra-slim media center PCs. Motherboards featuring the GeForce 9-Series are shipping this month from several motherboard vendors, the chipmaker said. A photo of a GeForce 9-equipped ASUS motherboard can be seen below.

As would be expected, NVIDIA made no mention of Apple while announcing the new desktop chipsets, but is likely to be working with the Mac maker on new graphics solutions for a refreshed line of iMacs due shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    ...who wants a 9300 graphics chip in a desktop when even the cheapest and thinnest notebooks have the 9400?

I guess the imac needs a 9600 to become a gaming machine
  • Reply 2 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It would be nice to have more games. Back when PC dominated gaming, making a Mac version was a big deal. But now there are so many platforms (consoles, handhelds) that adding one more should be easier than in past. I mean, they must be writing more of their code to be platform independent than they used to. That is the hope anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    They wanted it to fit in the Mini!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

...who wants a 9300 graphics chip in a desktop when even the cheapest and thinnest notebooks have the 9400?

I'm not well versed in this, but I'm pretty sure the notebooks have the 9400M, with an M for Mobile, which Steve illustrated last week doesn't surpass the 8000 desktop series that's currently in the iMacs.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Separately, the chipmaker has just announced similar GeForce 9400 and 9300 chipsets for desktop CPUs, which could find their way into new iMacs.

Seeing that all Intel iMacs to date seem to have used mobile Intel CPUs, unless Apple decides to switch to desktop CPUs, they won't be using the desktop versions of the Geforce 9400. I don't actually think that Apple will won't to sole source on nVidia. Even if they go with the mobile 9400M in the iMac they'll probably stick to ATI GPUs.

nVidia was always quoting Apple's implementation of the 9400M to be different than what nVidia will be selling to other OEMs. And nVidia confirms that Apple's implementation doesn't support Hybrid SLI. I have a feeling that what makes Apple's implementation unique is that they dropped Hybrid SLI in exchange for making the dynamic integrated to discrete GPU switching technology work with any GPU so that they can stick with the 9400M to satisfy nVidia but can choose to use either ATI or nVidia discrete GPUs.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

I guess you never used an iMac before for play. I use my iMac for play CoD4, Comand & Conquers and CMR. I pwned so many PC dudes over CoD4 and my iMac has only 4gb ram and the Ati card with 256 mb.

Also that GPU could be used on a Mac Mini with great success. I guess that a lot of people will be happy with that potential.

• Reply 6 of 43
    I think its both, the iMac and the MacMini will get an update. And maybe and updated Mac Mini looks, thinner, smaller, faster and will look like Apple current offering.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    lets be real here guys. what motivation do publishers have to release their games on OSX unless it's a guaranteed mega-hit like COD4? windows still has 90% marketshare, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I think your best bet is this CrossOvers thing:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

I guess you never used an iMac before for play. I use my iMac for play CoD4, Comand & Conquers and CMR. I pwned so many PC dudes over CoD4 and my iMac has only 4gb ram and the Ati card with 256 mb.

Also that GPU could be used on a Mac Mini with great success. I guess that a lot of people will be happy with that potential.

I know this MUST have been touched on before, but don't you think NO FIREWIRE really translates to NO PRO WORK?

Look, the first Macbook you could NEVER EVER EVER play games, but you could run motion. Different set of instructions that didn't use OPEN GL the way games used it.

That said, first MB went from 70%, to 104%, to 140% all the way to 171% with just upgrading to LEOPARD, Motion users rejoiced.

Then Apple released X300, this brought it back down to 70% again, effecting, not gamers (remember, you could never play a game anyway) but just the small PRO MARKET.

So this release, you can run MOTION, you can play games, but if you want AUDIO/VIDEO (Firewire, a protocol MAC introduced and main general to the world, let alone all those mom an pop iLife users), they removed FIREWIRE.

It has nothing to do (NON FUD) with going USB, USB is slow and USB doesn't support HIGH END AUDIO, VIDEO devices, period. So why is it do you think, Steve is so paranoid that the PRO would buy the cheap system. They would, so what, but they would buy the LOWER end as a second, third machine, not their first.

Apple baffles me sometimes and I can almost assure users that the next gen will have 1394b and that Apple will realize, the consumer used it more than the pro now and will also realize any PRO to the Macbook is offset 100 fold by gamers and mom and pop users.

Its very strange, Plus add in now the MB Pro is cheaper, same construction but with express slot, firewire but higher price point yet cheaper to make.

Hmm.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheNipponese View Post

lets be real here guys. what motivation do publishers have to release their games on OSX unless it's a guaranteed mega-hit like COD4? windows still has 90% marketshare, and that's not changing anytime soon.

I think your best bet is this CrossOvers thing:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

PC windows indeed have a lot of the market, you said 90%, lets make it 99%.

I really don't care much about that since that is the very best thing it can happen. Usually we get the best games and publishers scrap their weak titles.

Take a look here and look how discouraged are developers with Mac Gaming.

http://www.apple.com/games/
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I know this MUST have been touched on before, but don't you think NO FIREWIRE really translates to NO PRO WORK?

Look, the first Macbook you could NEVER EVER EVER play games, but you could run motion. Different set of instructions that didn't use OPEN GL the way games used it.

That said, first MB went from 70%, to 104%, to 140% all the way to 171% with just upgrading to LEOPARD, Motion users rejoiced.

Then Apple released X300, this brought it back down to 70% again, effecting, not gamers (remember, you could never play a game anyway) but just the small PRO MARKET.

So this release, you can run MOTION, you can play games, but if you want AUDIO/VIDEO (Firewire, a protocol MAC introduced and main general to the world, let alone all those mom an pop iLife users), they removed FIREWIRE.

It has nothing to do (NON FUD) with going USB, USB is slow and USB doesn't support HIGH END AUDIO, VIDEO devices, period. So why is it do you think, Steve is so paranoid that the PRO would buy the cheap system. They would, so what, but they would buy the LOWER end as a second, third machine, not their first.

Apple baffles me sometimes and I can almost assure users that the next gen will have 1394b and that Apple will realize, the consumer used it more than the pro now and will also realize any PRO to the Macbook is offset 100 fold by gamers and mom and pop users.

Its very strange, Plus add in now the MB Pro is cheaper, same construction but with express slot, firewire but higher price point yet cheaper to make.

Hmm.

Really don't know how much this have to do with potential desktop GPU/Nvidia pushing gaming on Mac... But the lack of Firewire on the new MacBooks is by no means any downturn. Actually MacBook specs are the best ever for that kind of notebook. Now you can run Final Cut Pro and all their apps, even Motion. If you are a Pro you should be more than happy with the new MacBooks cause since you are a "Pro" you should know how to use a network, a USB2 pocket Drive or External HD, also MobileMe service is handy moving/backing/sharing data.

Also this first generation of unibody MacBook/MacBook Pro is not cheap, they are using this particular method of production for the first time in such large numbers. The use a single sheet of aluminum for the Mac Pro and the iMac but both lack of the integrated machining performed on the unibody of the laptops. Eventually when Apple manage to turn all its production to unibody they will see some prices goes down.

Aluminum is not cheap and the actual process discard way too much of the brick which needs to be collected, washed & recycled. That cost money too.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

PC windows indeed have a lot of the market, you said 90%, lets make it 99%.

I really don't care much about that since that is the very best thing it can happen. Usually we get the best games and publishers scrap their weak titles.

Take a look here and look how discouraged are developers with Mac Gaming.

http://www.apple.com/games/

What I'm curious about is with the move to Intel, why develop Mac games at all? I admittedly do not know how well COD4, etc. games run on Mac computers running XP/Vista work. Can you run a PC title using XP/Vista on an Intel Mac with any luck or does Parallels/Bootcamp make it impossible?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Running Windows games on Mac computers via bootcamp is fine. It's as though you're running them on an equally hard-ware equipped PC. Can't say the same for Parallels though. Developing Mac versions of games is fine, But it is targeted at those that Don't have a copy of Windows XP/Vista to use with BootCamp. I gamed on OS X for years before installing XP via BootCamp and using that for games.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

What I'm curious about is with the move to Intel, why develop Mac games at all? I admittedly do not know how well COD4, etc. games run on Mac computers running XP/Vista work. Can you run a PC title using XP/Vista on an Intel Mac with any luck or does Parallels/Bootcamp make it impossible?

Hi bro, I used to play CoD4 and Race Driver Grid over BootCamp with my iMac. So I had to boot on XP with the option key at start up. Parallels wont run any of those titles or Bioshock or Crysis. A 24" iMac or a Mac Pro will be better for the last 2 titles. The reason why I got rid on BootCamp and its XP was it finally got the Mac version of CoD4 and since I have Colin McRae for Mac that one will patch the lack of Grid which will be ported or is planned to be by Feral.

Other great games will come in the near future like Gears of War and StarCraft and no one wants to be rebooting their systems to go to the crapy world of windows.

To make some history around the time the first iMac G3 Macs had the edge on pricing and performance and many developers delivered so many games. That changed when Intel/Windows developed better integration and the promotion of the direct x standard. Some companies like Blizzard, Feral and Aspyr never dropped the support of Mac as EA and others did.

The Mac market is growing and those who left are coming back, thats the main reason I think we have our titles and will have so many more for many years.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Now you can run Final Cut Pro and all their apps, even Motion. If you are a Pro you should be more than happy with the new MacBooks cause since you are a "Pro" you should know how to use a network, a USB2 pocket Drive or External HD, also MobileMe service is handy moving/backing/sharing data.

Wow, you just proved you're not a pro with a comment like that. You think being a pro is just about moving data? lol If that was all it was no one would care about the lack of firewire. Go edit multiple streams of HD from an external usb scratch disk connected to a new MBP and then plug that same disk into the MBP's fw port and come back.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    how about nvidia releases desktop GPU that's same generation as their pc siblings. it's utterly lame that with my almost $4k Mac pro my options are limited to two generations old nvidia gpu or god knows how old ( probably close to two years ) Ati.

i use my mac maily for After Effects and that doesnt really use gpu for anything useful , but once developers learn how to use gpu for more that just rotating , zooming and apple doesnt improve gpu suckage , i'm going back to windows.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Wow, you just proved you're not a pro with a comment like that. You think being a pro is just about moving data? lol If that was all it was no one would care about the lack of firewire. Go edit multiple streams of HD from an external usb scratch disk connected to a new MBP and then plug that same disk into the MBP's fw port and come back.

hehehe, dunno what you try to prove. But a Pro usually use Pro machines like Mac Pro and MBP. In the case of the new MacBook happens that the target are consumers that are supposed to run MS office, iLive, iWork, light games, etc.

If you work as a Freelance, work with audio and basically on a budget the lack of FW on a MacBook will hurt your feelings. Anyways you can still use the white consumer MacBook that is around 1k and do your Pro work since still has FW.

I do care about the use of FireWire, but since I have a lot of Computers and perform my work on my network, the lack of FW in a computer I do not intend to purchase it really doesn't bother me. I can survive with all my Mac Pro's, iMacs, MBP's, eMac and my beloved PBg4 first generation that is still alive and kicking.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Now you can run Final Cut Pro and all their apps, even Motion. If you are a Pro you should be more than happy with the new MacBooks cause since you are a "Pro" you should know how to use a network, a USB2 pocket Drive or External HD, also MobileMe service is handy moving/backing/sharing data.

A "pro" using USB2 and MobileMe to handle FCP Suite's files?

How high are you right now? Have you ever used any of the things you mentioned?

Stick to bragging about how you "pwned" your fellow nerds in WOW...

• Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

A "pro" using USB2 and MobileMe to handle FCP Suite's files?

How high are you right now? Have you ever used any of the things you mentioned?

Stick to bragging about how you "pwned" your fellow nerds in WOW...

My point is to show that you can use other stuff than FireWire, since that dude seems to be still in shock cause the lack of FireWire on a consumer laptop. I almost don't use USB2 for nothing since I have decks for feeding the video to the Mac Pros, I use the network in a heavy way and yes, I use MobileMe for some files I show to customers when they are in another country. I don't use FTP or have a FTP or another kind of server only to stack a couple of gygabytes. Generally when I finish something it will go to tape, transfer film or a DVD DL. For pictures and some storyboards I can even use web gallery with password protection.

And for how high I am... I am pretty sober. At least I keep it real and read carefully other post and not miss quote others.

The only game I brag I don't have and never will is WoW, so a cup of coffee will do wonders with your present state.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    It's about time Apple recognized that people with enough disposable income who want to own high-end, reliable computers is so they can play more games and consume all of their leisure time.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's about time Apple recognized that people with enough disposable income who want to own high-end, reliable computers is so they can play more games and consume all of their leisure time.

Heat and size are the issue. You can't get into high end gaming unless you have a system and can handle the size of modern day GPU's or the heat the create.

My nvidia 260gtx runs idle at 61c and under load can get well above 80c. Not to mention is wider then an iMac and needs two six pin connectors for a max power consumption of 195watts.

If Apple made a mid range tower they could do it easy but that isn't going to happen.

Steve Jobs isn't into gaming systems because he would have to build a functional system not a stylish system and it wouldn't be quiet.