10.2 Battery Life?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone with a laptop (iBook 500 here) and 10.1 knows OS X isn't great for batteries in laptops, since none of the OS 9 Energy Saver options are implemented, for example. (I like to control my computer, thank you)

I was wondering if battery life while sleeping and in use has improved? I literally watched OS X eat my iBook battery from full charge to nothing, at 2% a minute, NO KIDDING. :eek: I wasn't doing anything stupid like burning a CD, in fact I was doing next to nothing. And this problem is magnified when you consider how much waiting you do in OS X on an iBook. So anyone out there with 10.2 on an iBook see a battery life or Energy Saver improvement? Thanks.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Aquatik ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    It's wierd how some people complain about poor battery life in OS X. I own a 550MHz TiBook, and it gets around 3-3.5 hours surfing the web and using Word. Running 10.1.5. Can play an entire DVD too, and I let it sleep for days. What's up?

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Son of Pismo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 34
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    same here. battery life is quite good on my Powerbook G4/667

does eat the battery quicker in sleep than 9 but it also wakes up instantly. a trade off that some are willing to accept and others aren't
  • Reply 3 of 34
    That's a good question. I'm interested, as I use my iBook 600 as my primary machine.

I can get 2-3 hours on 10.1.5 surfing with Airport and listening to iTunes. I'm pretty happy with that, although more is always better.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    ddmaddma Posts: 19member
    For those 10.1.x users, go to System Preferences &gt; Energy &gt; Advance

Disable the feature that "Enable machine to wake up by Network Administrator", sorry, I am on a public machine running Windows, I don't exactly remember how the wording should be read.. You will have a much better battery life as well as OS 9 while sleeping.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    fobiefobie Posts: 216member
    I have about 3h of battery life on my iBook 600 (8MB VRAM). As far as I know the 10.2 Energy Saver Preference Pane is similar to the one in OS9.

That should help us with portable computers a bit. Well, ust two more days of waiting now.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    i get around 3 1/2 hours of battery time. surfing the web over airport, running itunes at the same time. one thing that will give you a good amount more of battery life is to turn down the brightness on the screen.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    The best news for laptop owners is that with 10.2, is that all the old OS9 options to set different settings for AC and battery usage are back. I am quite happy with battery life on my 700mhz iBook. I would say about 3-3.5 hours on average, with "normal" usage. It drops significantly if I fire into Photoshop, and so on. Also, performance is GREAT on this book (I do have 640 RAM) but I am really happy with is, and it is my only machine.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: warpd ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 34
    My Pismo G3/400 gets (at a rough guess) about 20% more battery life in 10.2 than it did in 10.1.5. The battery isnt holding the charge as well as it used to but I can still watch the entire Lord of the rings DVD 2hours 50 mins plus do other stuff on one charge whereas in 10.1 it managed about 2 hours or so.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No one with an iBook has weighed in. No doubt X's eye candy taxes the G3. Also, 2-3 hours of battey life is NOT what Apple advertises That's fine, for a Wintel POS, not an Apple.

It is good to hear Advanced Energy Saver options are back. Applenut you are right, OS X wakes up much faster than 9, but the incredible battery suck isn't worth it IMO. There must be a way to avoid that trade-off?
  • Reply 10 of 34
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I have an iBook 12" and I tend to get about 2 hours of use out of 10.1.5 when doing 'normal' workloads.

I will have Jaguar installed tomorrow night, and will try to get a post on here regarding the difference in battery life on Saturday.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>No one with an iBook has weighed in. No doubt X's eye candy taxes the G3. Also, 2-3 hours of battey life is NOT what Apple advertises That's fine, for a Wintel POS, not an Apple.

It is good to hear Advanced Energy Saver options are back. Applenut you are right, OS X wakes up much faster than 9, but the incredible battery suck isn't worth it IMO. There must be a way to avoid that trade-off?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A bunch of people claimed 3-3.5 hour battery life with their iBooks. Read more carefully.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by dartblazer:

<strong>one thing that will give you a good amount more of battery life is to turn down the brightness on the screen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

[b]dartblazerp/b] hits the nail right on the head. I am running an iBook/500. With the screen brightness down to two or three bars, I can get nearly four hours taking notes in class. I don't let my HDD spin down either. Leaving screen brightness all the way up, battery life decreases by almost half, to a solid two hours.

I was lucky enough to get Jaguar from Apple today (Thursday). I still can't believe it. In any case, I am delighted to see the complete Energy Saver control panel return. Now I can finally enable processor cycling (reduced clock speed) when I'm running my iBook on battery. Hopefully this will improve battery life quite a bit. I have four classes on Monday, so I'll have real life results in a few days.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Thanks for that tip. 4 hours is close enough anyway, and btw when my dad's Winbook screen is on maximum it's dimmer than my iBook's lowest setting. Hehe.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Boy, I'm not impressed with you guys' battery life. My TiBook 550 gets about 5 hours on a charge reading the net in the evening with the screen brightness way down (OS 10.1.5). Turning brightness to full does reduce battery life by about half. 2 1/2 hours at full brightness or 5 hours at minimum seems damn good to me. Is there a Windoze machine that can do this?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by BKMaggert:

<strong>Boy, I'm not impressed with you guys' battery life. My TiBook 550 gets about 5 hours on a charge reading the net in the evening with the screen brightness way down (OS 10.1.5). Turning brightness to full does reduce battery life by about half. 2 1/2 hours at full brightness or 5 hours at minimum seems damn good to me. Is there a Windoze machine that can do this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only sub-notebooks with Transmeta processors or a 500MHz super low power PIII.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Any more input would be welcome Please include:

-What system were you using?

-What were you doing?

-What were your Energy Saver settings?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    MacOS X 10.1 to 10.1.5

iBook 600MHz 14inch

Brightness turned down to next to lowest notch

I get 5 and a bit hours while listening to iTunes 100% of time, reading/writing word files and some net browsing.

I would say thats pretty damn good.

Sorry, but havent had the opportunity to try out 10.2 and battery life yet. All I know is that I cant complain much
  • Reply 18 of 34
    My 14" iBook in 10.2 has insane battery life. 10.2's power saving options allowed me to get close to the advertised 6 hours. Finally OS X has engery saving features on par with OS 9. No complaints here.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    I get about 4 hours of battery life with normal usage on my 667DVI Powerbook. I also don't keep my screen set to the brightest level, so maybe that helps a litlle.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Okay, got Jaguar running on my iBook, and I spent this evening on battery power. I see no real difference in battery life, but I was doing rather intensive work (reimporing my email to Mail) and haven't changed my brightness.